Exclamation Tarp recommendation for Eno double

Hey guys. I am new to hammocks. I have a Eno double and I plan to hike the Appalachian trail very soon. Can you please tell me what tarp would be ideal to keep me dry and not weigh much? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Section hikes, or a thru hike? I'm a section hiker, so weight isn't my main concern. I would pack differently for a thru hike.

You'll get different answers depending on your intended goal. Since I don't know what that is, I'll wait before giving specific recommendations.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

I am definitely going to hike a full month and plan on getting in some good miles. Then I'll have to return home for some obligations for 1-2 weeks. Morale/willingness to continue the trail and health will dictate whether I return to finish the trail.

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy 10x12 Hex
    Insulation
    Yukon O. Kindle UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Hennessy Hex 10x12 works great for mine in the backyard. Had it up through 3 days of rain and my hammock stayed bone dry.

I've been using the Eno profly, I'd go for something from one of the vendors here on the hammock forums, definitely seems like you get more for your money than what you'd be getting from eno.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Since you're looking to put down serious miles, weight will be a consideration. A lot of folks like cuben fiber. It's very light, very waterproof, and very expensive. It doesn't stretch like nylon, so no self tensioning guy lines are needed (some people don't use them anyway). Not quite as durable as nylon though.

Silnylon is probably the best compromise, to have a good tarp at a reasonable price. A hex tarp will give you more coverage on the sides than a square or rectangular shaped tarp pitched in a diamond configuration. A "winter" tarp with doors offers even more.

I always use a silnylon tarp with doors, but that's just my preference. It really comes down to that, coverage, and price.

Since your hammock isn't that long, most tarps will offer plenty of coverage end to end. You just have to decide how much coverage you want on the sides, and how much headroom.

An UQ protector is handy if you don't have doors. Also, site selection plays a very large role as well.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    DH RAVEN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    STRAPS/ ANCHOR
    My suggestion would be the Widernesslogics Tadpole or the Warbonnet Edge. They are both similar in price, weight and size and offer plenty of coverage for the ENO DN.

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    I have WB Edge. It's featherweight. Easy pitch. Very nice quality. I'll even part with it for a price
    Always last to the camp site.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I have two WL tarps and love them (Wild River & Big Daddy). I'll cast a vote for the WL Tadpole. There was one on the For Sale Forum, but it got snatched up pretty quick. Marty also has a new "big brother" to the Tadpole called the Bullfrog that's on sale right now.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

• + New Posts