Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    none yet..
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

new here, new hammock, need critique..

New here to the forums, hammock is a HH Expedition Asym zip, std tarp, whoopie sling suspension.
    Not slept in the hammock yet, just been lurking here for awhile, soaking up all I could and trying to get it all set up. It's been raining here for more than a week, just about every day. Today it kinda cleared up, was just a drizzle, I couldn't stand it, so I took it out in the woods and set it up best I knew from what I've learned here. I did replace the rope at each end with a whoopie sling for adjustability. I must say it went pretty good. Layed in it for awhile in the drizzle and I do believe I could sleep good in this thing! Look at the pics and give me your advice on what I need to do differently. Looking forward to getting out and trying it out soon.
    Last edited by tdecell; 03-22-2015 at 22:59.
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong. John Gierach

Hammock
    wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    hennessy hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Well I'm a bit of a noob myself, buy it looks good to me, have fun.

Good looking kit there- I think that you will want your hammock on one suspension and your tarp on a separate one. Doing it this way allows you to lower the tarp for inclement weather that may come at you sideways. It will happen, believe me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I agree that having a separate suspension for your tarp is preferable. It's nice to be able to adjust the height of your tarp depending on the weather conditions.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I recommend hanging the foot end about 6" higher than the head end of the hammock.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    none yet..
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

new here, new hammock, need critique..

Thanks all, I'm definitely looking at a separate suspension for the tarp. Was looking at the one Dutchgear sells. Also will eventually want a little bigger tarp. The std one barely covers the hammock and I can see wind and rain being difficult to keep out... We'll see.
    I'll try putting the foot end higher than the head end and see how that feels. Thanks again.
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong. John Gierach

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I have the same setup. I'm looking at a Kelty Noah tarp simply because my DIY skills aren't quite tarp-worthy yet.
    I've made a couple gathered end hammocks and a some whoopie slings (so far), but those are easy.

Welcome to the forum!
    Oracle5

Check out my hiking videos on Youtube:
    www.youtube.com/user/arkansasredneck2

Check out my hiking trip photos on Facebook and Instagram:
    www.facebook.com/arkansasredneck2
    www.instagram.com/arkansasredneck2

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Your hammock ridgeline is slack, should hold up straight across even with empty hammock, and your straps should come done at a little greater angle (30degrees). How tall are your straps up the tree? It looks to me like they need to go further up and hang down some more.

It looks like that line coming off the hammock is a whoopie? If so, it looks like you've got enough line on the whoopie to reach the loop in the strap and connect the two with the caribiner (forget the knot and toggle).

Of course, this is all going to affect your tarp attachment as you have it. Hennessy has a prussik on their rope suspension that the tarp attaches to that slides up and down the rope to adjust tension on the tarp. Do yourself a favor and get some Dutchware stingers with line attached($28) - easiest method for hanging a tarp IMO. I previously used the Arrowhead Equipment double line which is only $20 and its pretty darn easy, too, but the prussiks became a little problematic over time.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    none yet..
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks dakotaross, good info... The straps were about head high on the tree (I'm 5'9" or so), I'll set it up with them higher next time. Definitely going with the Dutchware tarp ridgeline. A question, with the Dutchware tarp ridgeline, I assume I'll still need a small hook attached to the ridgeline with prussiks, right?
    I'll play around with the Hammock ridgeline to get it flatter/tighter and not so slack. Going straight from the whoopie sling to the strap with the carabiner makes sense, less to set up/keep up with..
    All good info and will give me plenty to play around with this weekend, Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast