WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm happy with my 144" Big Daddy....no doors. I was always told to have about 1.5 ft past each end and that's about what it provides with my 11ft hammocks. It also provides great coverage for my Ridge Runner. Better to have and not need it.....blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    An 11 ft tarp will work fine with an 11 foot hammock. You can close it up like the tarps with doors if there are additional tie out points along the bottom edges (2 per side). A snap on the ends will also close it up some more. Doesn't leave much room inside, but it will keep out the weather if you have to hunker down.
    SnrMoment - love the snap on the ends. And I never knew why someone would get the extra tie out points along the bottom edge. Makes sense now. I really don't want to get a tent with doors because 90% of my camping won't need it. But having the option to hunker down for that 10% is a great option. Even if it means that things get a bit claustrophobic.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Only an issue every now and then with my 12' Tox where I see a place and, nope, tarp is too long. Never anyplace I couldn't hang. In fact, sometimes it was nice to have that extra foot when I needed to hang at longer distance for whatever reason. With no doors, 12' is helpful, but not necessary. However, really no need for the extra foot if you have doors. I have doors now only because I already had the tarp and wanted the wind block.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    My go-to camping hammock is a 10' hammock, and I use it with an 11' tarp. I tried an 11' hammock with an 11' tarp, and it works, but needs to be set up a lot more careful. I also like a bit of space between my hammock and tarp - no problem with the 10'/11' combo, but not possible with an 11'/11' combo - unless I want to risk the ends getting wet should the weather turn bad. Ultimately I went back to my 10' hammock because I'm not tall enough that an 11' hammock would make me noticeably more comfortable. If I would use an 11' hammock, I would probably get a 12' tarp, although I would hate having to pass up on tighter hanging opportunities. Alternatively, I'd use an 11' tarp with doors. Or get end caps for my hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft NylonD
    Tarp
    OES 4 season
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ, Down20*Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I'm relatively new at hammocking, but in my limited expereince I prefer a 12ft tarp with my 11ft hammocks. I don't just want the tarp to extend past the end of the hammock; I want it to also extend a little ways past my whoopie hooks beause they act as my water-break. The piece of mind for staying dry is worth the few extra ounces weight with an 11 footer.

I think my Superfly 11 footer provides plenty of protection for my 11 Dutch argon.
    "Over the mountains of the Moon, Down the valley of the Shadow, Ride, bodly ride", the Shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!" - Edgar Allen Poe

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by matjbrown View Post
    I think my Superfly 11 footer provides plenty of protection for my 11 Dutch argon.
    I'm using this same setup (except it's an 11' Dutch PolyD) and find it takes a lot of fiddling to set it up right. Last weekend was my first time setting it up in the rain, and I got pretty frustrated before I got it right. I'm considering going to either a continuous ridgeline on the tarp to make the tarp easier to adjust or just dropping back to a 10' hammock.

Thanks everyone. Although I'm tempted to go with a 12 foot tarp, I'm gonna go with the Superfly.

11 or 12 Foot Tarp for 11 Foot Hammock

It's not raining in this video, but here's a time lapse I made of my setup ...

https://youtu.be/HKM-E8xqnGc

Granted this is a time lapse, but all in all maybe five minutes to setup.
    "Over the mountains of the Moon, Down the valley of the Shadow, Ride, bodly ride", the Shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!" - Edgar Allen Poe

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12