Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

59g suspension!

I got 10ft of kevlar webbing in from Dutch this week, sewed it up and here is the result...
    43" finished length huggers larks headed to 6' 7/64ths lead with hammock anchor on one side and 7' lead with a speed hook on the other. I made a little stuff sack from 4oz coated nylon to protect the Kevlar from UV that takes the total weight to 65g or 2.29oz. I haven't decided if I'll use the stuff sack yet. Looking forward to long term testing!

Nice! Got any pics of it up hanging?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Good work. Now replace that heavy old 7/64" Amsteel with Dynaglide
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Nice! Got any pics of it up hanging?
    Not yet, I don't have a yard unfortunately so It'll need to wait 'till I get a night in the woods :s
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Good work. Now replace that heavy old 7/64" Amsteel with Dynaglide
    I considered it... don't think I trust dynaglide with speed hooks though, especially because I weigh 230lbs+. I may try it on the hammock anchor end because the hole is smaller, but I'll have a spare amsteel lead on hand. I suppose I could use dg UCRs but I like the speed hooks and anchors too much.

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.0 Hexon 10'
    Tarp
    HG Std CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DG Whoopie Hook
    The straps look great!!!

I have been thinking about making Kevlar straps for awhile now, but was hesitant to try and source down the correct type of strapping on my own from Ebay. May need to give it a try now that Dutch stocks it.

I wonder if applying a product like Nikwax SolarProof will help to slow down the UV deterioration of the Kevlar.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ApeHanger View Post
    The straps look great!!!

I have been thinking about making Kevlar straps for awhile now, but was hesitant to try and source down the correct type of strapping on my own from Ebay. May need to give it a try now that Dutch stocks it.

I wonder if applying a product like Nikwax SolarProof will help to slow down the UV deterioration of the Kevlar.
    Thanks, the stitching isn't great... compared to normal polyester webbing they kevlar is a nightmare to sew. The weave kinda moves as you sew but they should hold up pretty well. I guess there's only one way to find out

I have no idea if it actually would but I'd assume it would offer a little protection?

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    That's awesome Craig, I definitely need to lighten up my straps. I can't imagine a Scottish sun causing enough UV to tan a Scot never mind ruin your kevlar ;-)

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Cheers Scott! Lol do you not remember Brodies neck last April? The fact that we get so many hours of sunlight in the summer makes me a bit worried, but I'll just keep and eye on it.

If you're still using that same stuff that you had before I can send you a set of 1" huggers/straps and whoopie slings or UCRs if you want?

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Cheers Scott! Lol do you not remember Brodies neck last April? The fact that we get so many hours of sunlight in the summer makes me a bit worried, but I'll just keep and eye on it.

If you're still using that same stuff that you had before I can send you a set of 1" huggers/straps and whoopie slings or UCRs if you want?
    Yeah but gingers are 34% vampire so are a special case. I'd just replace them once a year and I think you'd be fine. I know that the aramids are a problem on boats but they get hammered out at sea (I'm sporting a burnt nose now!) you can test it for me as I'm only about 220lb ;-)

Thanks for the offer but your light gear rubbed off on me and I'm fairly light these days (whoopies, dynaglide 1oz hammocks fabrics etc) but I love the kevlar straps as the poly just seems heavy considered that it doesn't do all that much and is single use

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    Yeah but gingers are 34% vampire so are a special case. I'd just replace them once a year and I think you'd be fine. I know that the aramids are a problem on boats but they get hammered out at sea (I'm sporting a burnt nose now!) you can test it for me as I'm only about 220lb ;-)

Thanks for the offer but your light gear rubbed off on me and I'm fairly light these days (whoopies, dynaglide 1oz hammocks fabrics etc) but I love the kevlar straps as the poly just seems heavy considered that it doesn't do all that much and is single use
    True! Yeah, £6 a year ain't too shabby when I'll be ordering anyway, although I found a source in the UK the other day too so I'll maybe try them next time.

Hah, good to hear although you didn't have much extra gear, just heavy bits and bobs (what did your sls weigh, maybe a kg?). My base weight is officially well into the ul category now still trimming and when I struggle to get lighter I'll add some comfort or durability items back in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast