my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Looks like tons of fun,,, thanks for sharing...

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & WB XLC
    Tarp
    OESMCD W/PMOD
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, JRB HR TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hiking with Shug a trip report

Backpacking with Shug a trip report

I am a very fortunate to have had Shug as my trail guide and teacher with my first awesome adventure in the piney woods. We've known each other for years, and he has invited me to the trail in the past. The hammock is what made me finally accept his offer.

Been fiddling with my gear in my man cave for quite a while. Wow! What a difference when you get out in the field!

In Northern WI you never know what the night or next day will bring. We changed out our clothing at the trail head after Shug looked at the sky and smelled the air. You know he is part Cherokee. It was great to hear Shug reminisce along the trail about the spring HF Northern Hang on the NCT. The lookout tower Stormcrow and crew climbed, off the NCT, is waaaaaay higher in person than on video. The NCT colors are really starting to burst. I am sure next month on the SHT the colors will be awesome.

Really like my Leki poles. I have been practicing in the bluffs about my hometown. It took a bit to get used to the straps. I was good about checking that they remained tight along the trail. The cork handles were very comfortable.

The Blackbird and MacCat Deluxe together are great. Just as everyone on HF has professed. I found I really liked hanging low to the ground. Much easier to sit and cook this way. Shug's ridge line fix worked very well for keeping the BB ridge line out of my face. Working on lightening my suspension system on both. When are the Dutch Clips going to be available at the HF store?

I learned a lot from trailcooking.com and freezer bag boiled most of my meals with my Jetboil. When I practiced, I did not like holding the bag in my hand and eating out of it ... awkward. So, I drop the freezer bag into my empty Jetboil pot, fold the bag opening over the pot edges and dug in with my long REI spoon. No pot cleaning! A quart Ziplock freezer bag fits nicely in the Jetboil. Shug stressed the importance of finishing your food to lower your pack weight. He graciously finished my peanut butter oatmeal garnished with dried banana chips, apricots and cranberries. Shug, no need to mention my food weight

I can not say enough good things about the ULA Circuit. I picked it up new on ebay and it fit me perfectly ... uhhhhh, after Shug showed me how to make it fit perfect. A far cry from the exterior frame packs I used so many, many years ago in scouts.

Talk about gear envy ... Shug's ULA Amigo Pro, kept us easily and quickly hydrated. I look forward to getting mine after the first of December.

In closing, since June I have been living vicariously through all the HF trip reports. I had very high expectations for my first backpacking adventure and those expectations were far exceeded. I think it also might have had something to do with the company I travelled with.

Much appreciated,
    Wander'nFool

PS -- Really, I think a coyote sniffed my butt.
    PSS -- Shug is freaky when he whispers on the trail.
    Last edited by Wander'nFool; 09-16-2009 at 13:29.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great trip report from both of you and another two-thumbs-up video from Shug! Can't wait for the Northern Hang, only three more weeks!

Wander'nFool - Will you be there? Didn't see your name on the list, but it was on the poll.

Here's to hangin' in the piney woods!

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & WB XLC
    Tarp
    OESMCD W/PMOD
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, JRB HR TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

October Northern Hang

Wander'nFool - Will you be there? Didn't see your name on the list?
    Man, I wish I could. I'm on the road working that weekend.

Wander'nFool

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images
    Super Great trip report! from both of you guys! Great gear makes for a Great trips! Plus Hanging out with Shug has to be a Trip! Cool

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear

TWO great new Shug videos on YouTube

One was his trip report, the other is part of his performances at the 2009 Minnesota State Fair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCw7...eature=channel

I do have to say: the video is funny, but not nearly as funny as his act is in person. If you ever get a chance to, you MUST see him live. It's not even just seeing him- you FEEL him in a room. Shug is one of those folks who have.....<drum roll>..... PRESENCE. And an amazingly quick improvisational wit. I'm glad he's a hiker/hanger- we all benefit!

(Sean: You can either send me cash or use PayPal for this promo. Sorry, but I don't accept personal checks from itinerant jugglers.)

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Shug - great, as usual. Loved the action specific music and the cinematography.

Wander'nFool - welcome to the hangin' world. If you can spend two days in the woods with Shug, hammocking in general should be a breeze.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Time spent with Sean is time well spent...
    Time spent hangin with Shug...priceless!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Very cool ridgeline solution!
    Thanks .... just shows that being "out there" in the woods sometimes lets on see..........

Quote Originally Posted by IhangnBankhead View Post
    Great gear makes for a Great trips!
    Ain't that so true. Fun to ogle others gear!

Quote Originally Posted by ghandrick View Post
    One was his trip report, the other is part of his performances at the 2009 Minnesota State Fair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCw7...eature=channel
    I do have to say: the video is funny, but not nearly as funny as his act is in person. If you ever get a chance to, you MUST see him live. It's not even just seeing him- you FEEL him in a room. Shug is one of those folks who have.....<drum roll>..... PRESENCE. And an amazingly quick improvisational wit. I'm glad he's a hiker/hanger- we all benefit!
    (Sean: You can either send me cash or use PayPal for this promo. Sorry, but I don't accept personal checks from itinerant jugglers.)
    Whooooooo ...... glad I am so poor. I will shovel your walk.....

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Shug - great, as usual. Loved the action specific music and the cinematography.
    Wander'nFool - welcome to the hangin' world. If you can spend two days in the woods with Shug, hammocking in general should be a breeze.
    I appreciate the music part.......
    WF is one brave soul.

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Time spent with Sean is time well spent...
    Time spent hangin with Shug...priceless!
    Right back atcha AndyControl
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Very nice guys, as always, great video Shug, WF welcome to the piney woods. Great gear choices to start off on the right foot. And thanks for sharing the Mystery Meat with us...really thanks.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast