Question Mystery Fabric Codes-What should I make with this?

2015-01-20 20.26.25.jpg

So, I got about 40 yards of the fabric you see above. I don't know exact details as it was a replacement for a different fabric I ordered that went out of stock at Magna Fabrics. It seems to be 40x30d based on the old website listing. I think the 1.35/60 is oz/yd and width and nylon ripstop makes sense. Any ideas on the other codes: FF, EVE, MLB, 06612? I tried some googling without much luck. I think it said pure finish as well on the old web listing. So does that mean it's 40x30d uncoated ripstop?

That being said, what should I make with this? If it is 1.35oz nylon ripstop, hammocks seem like an option for lighter folk, stuff sacks (not 40 yards worth!), not sure what else. Seems like uncoated wouldn't be great for UQP, UQ, anything with down...would a TQ work?

I haven't had experience with outdoor fabrics outside of a couple from Dutch, so I'm way out of my comfort zone figuring this out. Thanks in advance for your help and ideas!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I would assume that tag is Magna and those are their codes. I would contact them and they can probably tell you what it is. If you send me a swatch I would do what I can to identify it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

You're spot on, Dutch. I had some issues with customer service over a few months before finally getting my order, so I was hoping to avoid calling again.
    If anyone can help with the codes, that would be wonderful.
    If not, any suggestions for uncoated 1.3 ripstop would be great!!!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Well do you feel raised ripstop. When you pass it through your pinched fingers you should be able to feel the ripstop. If so I would use it as a hammock as long as you are south of 220 pounds. If you are higher you can make a double since you have plenty.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

It does seem to have a reinforced grid. I was thinking hammock body is the most obvious choice. I'm north of that weight range so I'll go double. I'm wanting to make a bridge, but not sure exactly how to double the layers for it. Do you cut two of the pattern then just sew the edges together before rolling over the webbing? Oh well, guess that's for another thread. Thanks again for your help on both my threads today!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtwigg View Post
    It does seem to have a reinforced grid. I was thinking hammock body is the most obvious choice. I'm north of that weight range so I'll go double. I'm wanting to make a bridge, but not sure exactly how to double the layers for it. Do you cut two of the pattern then just sew the edges together before rolling over the webbing? Oh well, guess that's for another thread. Thanks again for your help on both my threads today!
    you can cut them together and what I do is sew the edge of the fabric to 1/2 inch webbing. Then I roll it over twice and sew two lines on the rolled hem (with webbing inside). Do a rolled hem on the head and foot end before you do the sides but don't sew the two layers together in case you want to insert a pad.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtwigg View Post
    2015-01-20 20.26.25.jpg

So, I got about 40 yards of the fabric you see above. I don't know exact details as it was a replacement for a different fabric I ordered that went out of stock at Magna Fabrics. It seems to be 40x30d based on the old website listing. I think the 1.35/60 is oz/yd and width and nylon ripstop makes sense. Any ideas on the other codes: FF, EVE, MLB, 06612? I tried some googling without much luck. I think it said pure finish as well on the old web listing. So does that mean it's 40x30d uncoated ripstop?

That being said, what should I make with this? If it is 1.35oz nylon ripstop, hammocks seem like an option for lighter folk, stuff sacks (not 40 yards worth!), not sure what else. Seems like uncoated wouldn't be great for UQP, UQ, anything with down...would a TQ work?

I haven't had experience with outdoor fabrics outside of a couple from Dutch, so I'm way out of my comfort zone figuring this out. Thanks in advance for your help and ideas!
    Hey there. Just took a look at your pics and I'm pretty sure that fabric is the same thing used for Multicam Epsilon, just in pure finish (no DWR or calendering) and obviously without the camo print. I've seen it branded as "Quantum". In general it's really good stuff with high abrasion resistance for it's weight.

One thing I would point out is that it's not a true ripstop in the purest sense, so it's not quite as strong. Hard to say on exact weight limit for a single-layer hammock, but I do know one member that had a failure with a Multicam Epsilon single-layer. He's around 200 lbs.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Here's a pic of what I have for reference.

image1 (2).jpg
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Thanks, Kyle! That does look pretty similar and since Magna does a lot of military 2nds I bet you're right. Thanks for the heads up!

• + New Posts