Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    A Hammock

HyperD 1.6 Review

I received my HyperD 1.6 some days ago and quickly went on to do my 1st hammock. (bought from ripstop by the roll) (the service was "ok", the owner was helpful, this review is about the product)

The fabric looks good and feels good too! It's kind of soft and has a linen touch to it, it is very comfortable and feels gentle on the skin, not like normal pu coated nylon or nylon itself. One of my issues with some hammock manufacturers is the fabric. I'm a person who moves in the night, and having the fabric making noises when i move in my sleeping back can be very annoying. Also it is VERY Light. I can't stress how light this material is.

I had the idea to make a lightweight summer hammock with this material.

I checked the fabric for defects and it was ok. I started sewing my hammock and after only 2 tests in the yard to see how it feels, stays, ridgleine etc etc (not 5 mins in total inside), I noticed 8 places where the fabric was ripped with 5mm to even 10mm holes. I was wearing a pair of jeans and used socks inside not shoes for the obvious reasons. The ripstop is doing the job fine from letting the damage fabric rip all the way, I still can go inside, but I'm really disappointed. I expected much better. I'm going to have to double layer the bottom with a much stronger fabric which, I'm very sorry to say, I wouldn't trust this as a single layer material, and not even a double alone. I don't recommend this for hammocks unless you make this a top layer for it's comfy feel and a stronger safer for bottom.

At this point, regarding my diy hammock i will have to buy another stronger material and leave this as a top layer..

I hope this helps someone when it comes to making a decision

IMG_20150320_175728.jpgIMG_20150320_175750.jpgIMG_20150320_175836.jpg
    Last edited by xihadd; 03-20-2015 at 12:17.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I have made plenty of hammocks from this material and have never seen this happen. Maybe talk to Kyle at RSBTR.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Sorry to hear of your poor experience with this fabric. We have had the opportunity to use hundreds and hundreds of yards of almost every one of the HyperD colors and have had no issues at all. We get many positive comments on this fabric so your experience seems unusual.

The photos of the holes you posted do not look to me like they were caused by stress in the fabric. I would say that it's definitely physical damage, more specifically punctures of some sort. Notice how the fibers around the holes are not moved or stretched. One of the holes shown on your first photo is going right through one of the ripstop threads.

You indicated that you inspected the fabric before you used it. Did you happen to notice if there was damage to the shipping packaging? Also, is it possible that the damage could have occurred while you were making or testing out the hammock? Sometimes a sharp table corner or something sharp under a sewing table can cause unseen damage.

Finally, it might help to know exactly where on the hammock the holes were seen. There are places where damage occurs most often and other places where fabric stress occurs most often. Possibly we can help identify the issue with more information.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5" 1.9oz ACU Digital Hammock
    Tarp
    MACCAT Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 20F UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am 185# and never had any issues with my 1.0 hyper D hammock and have hung in it probably 30 times. Still holding strong with no tears. That seems really weird it would tear from you laying in it. I would talk to Kyle he's pretty helpful.

Hammock
    A Hammock
    Hi, thanks for the replies. Im 175cm/74kg.

The first inspection i did when i opened the package didnt show any damage ( but i cant be 100% as i didnt inspect inch by inch). The place where the damage is present is in tje middle right where i sit. I was quite carefull and work in a simple home environment where no tools are present. (My bedroom lol). What worries me is that i counted all those rips and not just one..

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xihadd View Post
    I received my HyperD 1.6 some days ago and quickly went on to do my 1st hammock. (bought from ripstop by the roll) (the service was "ok", the owner was helpful, this review is about the product)

The fabric looks good and feels good too! It's kind of soft and has a linen touch to it, it is very comfortable and feels gentle on the skin, not like normal pu coated nylon or nylon itself. One of my issues with some hammock manufacturers is the fabric. I'm a person who moves in the night, and having the fabric making noises when i move in my sleeping back can be very annoying. Also it is VERY Light. I can't stress how light this material is.

I had the idea to make a lightweight summer hammock with this material.

I checked the fabric for defects and it was ok. I started sewing my hammock and after only 2 tests in the yard to see how it feels, stays, ridgleine etc etc (not 5 mins in total inside), I noticed 8 places where the fabric was ripped with 5mm to even 10mm holes. I was wearing a pair of jeans and used socks inside not shoes for the obvious reasons. The ripstop is doing the job fine from letting the damage fabric rip all the way, I still can go inside, but I'm really disappointed. I expected much better. I'm going to have to double layer the bottom with a much stronger fabric which, I'm very sorry to say, I wouldn't trust this as a single layer material, and not even a double alone. I don't recommend this for hammocks unless you make this a top layer for it's comfy feel and a stronger safer for bottom.

At this point, regarding my diy hammock i will have to buy another stronger material and leave this as a top layer..

I hope this helps someone when it comes to making a decision

IMG_20150320_175728.jpgIMG_20150320_175750.jpgIMG_20150320_175836.jpg
    Man I hate to see that. I have spent a ton of work myself on a DIY project just to find a tear for some unknown reason. Email me at Dutch@dutchwaregear and I will send you any fabric you like to replace it. However if I ever come to Malta, you have to let me crash on your couch. Seriously I hate to see this happen to anyone, especially a new guy. Email me and I will send you your choice of fabrics free to replace or reinforce it and take care of shipping.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    This is what I love about this place, people are always jumping to the front of the line to help someone out! This is very, very cool!

- Rob
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    I have made plenty of hammocks from this material and have never seen this happen. Maybe talk to Kyle at RSBTR.
    Indeed, I guarantee you that Kyle will want to bend over backwards to make things right.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Ya. There's something else weird going on here. Those tears don't look like they're from normally defective fabric. Fabric normally has faults in the weave. Those tears are clearly through threads. I'd guess shipping damage?

I've had my hyperD hammock for months now, and had no issue with it. I highly reccomend giving the fabric a second chance. Kyle over at ripstopbytheroll has fantastic customer service, and I would be surprised if he doesn't do everything possible to resolve this. Have you emailed him yet?

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    You say the damage is where you sit? Do your jeans have any buttons, rivets or buckles on the back?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast