Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    At 380, I spent several hours in my HyperD hammock that I got when the fabric was first introduced and it's still in use.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    No offense, but when I looked at the first pictures I wondered about pet toenails making that kind of hole. Then I saw the third picture.... you're not in the clear, either.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Just wondering if those holes line up... they seem to be grouped into 1 short tear and 1 long tear. Could something have damaged the fabric as it sat folded up - either in shipping or sitting out before assembly?
    I'm not trying to lay blame, its just a sad thing to see.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    At 380, I spent several hours in my HyperD hammock that I got when the fabric was first introduced and it's still in use.
    Similar weight, weeks upon weeks in a 1.6 HyperD without issue. Fav summer time rig.

Shipping damage was my first thought. Would ask for fabric to be bubble wrapped if shipped overseas.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    A Hammock
    Hi Guys, No jeans rivets or steel parts.. just plain jeans.. anyway if this material can't hold a par of jeans for 5 minutes, I can't trust it with me on a camping trip, that's my issue. I do sincerely hope maybe it's just a bad batch or something.. Regarding my project i'll be doing a double layer now for support, but won't order from america as that would take me some 30+ days to wait again for delivery..

I'm going to resort for this as bottom layer - http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/R...sqm::1978.html and leave hyperD top layer - do you think it's a good choice? should i do something else?

Hammock
    A Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    Just wondering if those holes line up... they seem to be grouped into 1 short tear and 1 long tear. Could something have damaged the fabric as it sat folded up - either in shipping or sitting out before assembly?
    I'm not trying to lay blame, its just a sad thing to see.
    Yes, 3 groups of the holes are kind of similar in size/placement

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xihadd View Post
    Hi Guys, No jeans rivets or steel parts.. just plain jeans.. anyway if this material can't hold a par of jeans for 5 minutes, I can't trust it with me on a camping trip, that's my issue. I do sincerely hope maybe it's just a bad batch or something.. Regarding my project i'll be doing a double layer now for support, but won't order from america as that would take me some 30+ days to wait again for delivery..

I'm going to resort for this as bottom layer - http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/R...sqm::1978.html and leave hyperD top layer - do you think it's a good choice? should i do something else?
    Parachute nylon that is close to 2oz / sq yd with ripstop. Sounds pretty good. In a single layer the parachute stuff stretches quite a bit but matched with the HyperD, should be less stretch.

Dutch's offer of fabric isn't a bad option. That Argon is good stuff.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Another European RbtR customer here. I ordered some 1.6oz HyperD and have made one single layer hammock with it so far. I have used it only a couple of nights because it is a bit too stretchy for my taste, but it doesn't show any damage (I just checked). I'm pretty sure that your damage wasn't caused by your jeans, but by something sharp. It could have been damaged during transport - did customs open your package? I have had a tarp damaged because somebody opened the package with a cutter (duh!). It's also fairly easy to damage fabric while working on it. I try to keep it away from the wheels of my swivel chair, but it still happens that I roll over some corner. Luckily, I haven't had some real damage, just some moved threads.

I would definitely recommend e-mailing Kyle and see if he can help you out. It sucks paying for international shipping and customs and ending up with an unusable hammock...

The fabric you listed from ExTex should work for a hammock as well. 50g/m2 = 1.47oz/yd2 (says the DH Fabric Calculator), so it is lighter (and probably weaker) than the 1.6oz HyperD fabric. Why not order enough of it to make a double layer instead of mixing fabrics? The ExTex ripstop is much wider than the HyperD, so by mixing the fabrics you won't be able to use the full width.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I received my HyperD 1.6 some days ago and quickly went on to do my 1st hammock. (bought from ripstop by the roll) (the service was "ok", the owner was helpful, this review is about the product)

The fabric looks good and feels good too! It's kind of soft and has a linen touch to it, it is very comfortable and feels gentle on the skin, not like normal pu coated nylon or nylon itself. One of my issues with some hammock manufacturers is the fabric. I'm a person who moves in the night, and having the fabric making noises when i move in my sleeping back can be very annoying. Also it is VERY Light. I can't stress how light this material is.

I had the idea to make a lightweight summer hammock with this material.

I checked the fabric for defects and it was ok. I started sewing my hammock and after only 2 tests in the yard to see how it feels, stays, ridgleine etc etc (not 5 mins in total inside), I noticed 8 places where the fabric was ripped with 5mm to even 10mm holes. I was wearing a pair of jeans and used socks inside not shoes for the obvious reasons. The ripstop is doing the job fine from letting the damage fabric rip all the way, I still can go inside, but I'm really disappointed. I expected much better. I'm going to have to double layer the bottom with a much stronger fabric which, I'm very sorry to say, I wouldn't trust this as a single layer material, and not even a double alone. I don't recommend this for hammocks unless you make this a top layer for it's comfy feel and a stronger safer for bottom.

At this point, regarding my diy hammock i will have to buy another stronger material and leave this as a top layer..

I hope this helps someone when it comes to making a decision

Attachment 105295Attachment 105296Attachment 105297
    Hi Daniel. Very sorry to hear about your issues with the fabric. I can certainly understand your position and I would be disappointed as well. It's frustrating to pay good money for something, wait weeks, then end up with a problem.

There's no way for me to know exactly what happened, so I won't speculate. At the end of the day, all I care about is making this right for you, so that's what I'll do. Sending you an email now.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images