10ft Dutch Nylon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Question Newbie making first purchase. Do you approve?

I am a newbie about to make my first MAJOR purchases to start a life of hanging. My wife thinks this is just a phase I'm going through so I'm out to prove her wrong. I have learned so much from the past month from many of the HF members and I'm looking forward to continuing to learn even more. I want to begin my hammock camping not necessarily at the bottom and pure by piece out my gear together. These are the things I'm looking to purchase to start me out. I'm not looking to make any other big purchases soon, other than an awesome UQ and possibly a TQ.
    If you're a hanger, could you check out my list and offer some 2cents? I totally get a love the HYOH and ultimately that's what I'll do, BUT... I would love to hear your thoughts. Any good or bad purchases or experiences with any of these?

TARP N'STUFF
    - Warbonnet Superfly
    - Ridgeline- CLR; 30ft Gray Lash-It attached to continuous loop on tie out, attached by Dutch Hook around the tree, over tarp, around tree and secured by Dutch Fly.
    - (4) corner Tie-outs attached w/ CL of ShockCord attached with a Dutch Tarpworm, to guy lines of - 10ft gray Lash-It secured to aluminum 9in y-stakes
    - (2) 15ft lash it lines for just incase or to use to tie out my sides with a stick.
    - (2) white Dutch door hooks

HAMMOCK N'STUFF
    - Kammok Roo
    - Kammok Dragonfly bug net
    - Pair of 12ft Dutch Tree Straps
    - Pair of Dutch Clips
    - Pair of Dutch Buckles
    - (2) 8ft Whoopie Slings (Black for feet, Red for head)
    - UnderQuilt... not sure yet. I'm thinking of a 4 season so I can use this in the Michigan winters too

So yeah... If you had to go back and tell your old self what to get, not get, need and/or not need... What would you say?
    Pewdiddy

"It's not stupid until you try it."

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy, GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Buckles/Whoopies
    Images
    I would look for other options besides the kammok roo. I just think its an expensive hammock and you can do better for cheaper. Dutch simple gathered end hammocks come to mind and there are a few different fabrics to try there. Also Dutch offers a fronkey style bug net which will be cheaper than the dragonfly.

12 foot tree straps and 8 foot whoopies seems like overkill to me unless you're planning to hang from some big trees that are far apart. 4-6 foot huggers and 6 foot whoopies should be more than enough to get you hanging in most places.

Tarp selection looks good. Cant get much better than that. Now all you need to do is figure out insulation and you'll be all set

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I can't speak to the kammock gear but the superfly is a solid tarp. What conditions do you intend to use this setup in? Backpacking had an emphasis on light weight hear, winter camping has different requirements than summer, etc. To really give good advice it would help to know how you plan to use your new gear.

Hammock
    10ft Dutch Nylon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Regarding the Kammok, the reason I'm drawn to it is its flexibility of uses. Personally I don't want an attached bug net to my hammock. I would like to use the hammock for car-camping, hanging in my back yard to read a book, basically everything. I'm attracted to the Dragonfly because of the horizontal zipper. In and out is a synch.

The main conditions I plan on using this gear is in the woods in the 3 season and want to try winter too but not by purchasing a whole new set. The trees here are average sized in circumference (3ft?!?) your probably right about the lengths being overkill for straps and whoopies. I'm sure I can lesson them a bit. As much as I hate to admit it, for now I probably won't be doing a lot of major hiking to find a site. Probably 2 miles the most.
    I'm not opposed to lightweight gear, but I also don't mind hauling 3 pounds.
    Pewdiddy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Maybe more info from you would help.

How can tall and weight
    Is this for thru hiking, weekend, canoe, car camping?
    Do you have DIY skills
    Where will you be camping - state, area etc

Hammock
    10ft Dutch Nylon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I am 6ft and weigh in at 220lb. predominantly solo weekend(or weekday) car camping that involves a little hike. I will eventually take this on a Stand Up Paddle board for a weekend adventure down river. My DIY skills are not to the point I would trust myself sleeping in anything I out together. Willing to learn though. This is predominantly state parks and back yards.
    Pewdiddy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Single Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Have you considered the warbonnet traveler and bugnet they sell? I must admit that I'm a WB fanboy. Very impressed with Brandon's craftsmanship and ingenuity, and my blackbird/superfly has served me very well for over 3 years now.

Other than that, the superfly is a palace. You'll love it.
    Keep on keepin' on.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hammock & Bugnet

I'd skip the Kammok stuff altogether. There's much better value on the market. Kammok doesn't have a great reputation for customer service, and their gear is heavy and overpriced.

Roo hammock $99 24 oz.
    Dragonfly bugnet $75 10.5 oz

That's $174 and 34.5 ounces for a simple gathered-end hammock with bugnet! The Kammok actually makes the ENO stuff look light and cheap (which is hard to do):

ENO Singlenest Hammock $59.95 and 16 oz.
    ENO Guardian BugNet $59.95 and 16 oz.

Total $120 and 36 oz.

There's better value and lighter weight out there than Kammok and ENO, if you do some research. For $175, you could get a true high-end hammock with integrated bugnet and all manner of features, like the Warbonnet Blackbird or a Dream Hammock DangerBird.

Or you could look at more affordable and lighter modular systems.

Dutch 11 ft. PolyD 1.4 hammock $35 and 9.94 ounces
    Dutch Bugnet $50 and 7 oz.

Total $85 and 16.94 ounces

Buttinasling Hiker Lite hammock $35 and 9 oz.
    Buttinasling NanoBuginator bugnet $64.95 and 7 oz.

Total $99.95 and 16 ounces.

So do you really want a hammock & bugnet that costs up to 50% more and weighs 50% more than comparable cottage vendor products? And if so, why?

Suspension

I also think you can do better on the suspension. You don't need straps that long or whoopies that long. I don't think I've even seen someone with a Dutch Buckles and Dutch clips setup. Dutch Buckles are for whoopie sling users to replace the marlin spike hitch and toggle, while Dutch Clips are for people who use straps/webbing as a suspension. I prefer the Dutch whoopie hook suspension; it's pretty cool and easy to use.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    10ft Dutch Nylon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Honestly I haven't really checked them out because the price tag is more than I wanted to pay starting out. I'm thinking after I hang for quite some time, I can then justify another big purchase.
    Pewdiddy

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I looked at the kammok gear when I first was gathering info on gear. I almost ordered one until I realized I could have the same thing for $20 by diying it. If I had found Dutch's hammocks before I made my own I probably would have just ordered one of them. I'll put another vote on here for starting with a Dutch hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast