Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Kammok is going to provide a product for the masses, they are pretty big box like ENO and Hennessy. I generally shy away from anything sold at REI these days, especially if even remotely considered about weight.

Cottage companies like Warbonnet, Dutch, BIAS, Arrowhead Equipment, Jacks R Better, and countless others use true backpacking and camping experience and feedback to create their equipment. By campers for campers!

IMO, Shop with the people that personally use, test, and develop their products/gear and you can't really go wrong. Then it's just a matter of deciding between all of the quality choices out there.
    Man, this forum question has became a newbie goldmine! Thanks for this. I definitely hear you regarding the big box vs small shops. I will make sure I frequent these sites more often.
    Pewdiddy

"It's not stupid until you try it."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pewdiddy View Post
    Do you recommend any kind of UQ? I was looking at the UGQ Zeppelin full length.
    UGQ has an excellent reputation, as do all our quilt vendors. I started with HammockGear, and have bought eight quilts and two tarps from them. They seem to be a bit lighter than the other quilt vendors for the same temp rating.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    10ft Dutch Nylon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobAllison View Post
    Take a look at the Hammock Comparison Chart as well. It's in the stickies. Looking at it, I see the following options for a side-zip ridgeline based bugnet, suitable for use on a gathered-end hammock with a ridgeline. (Dutch, BIAS, WB Traveller, etc)

1. Warbonnet Outdoors Travel Net Weight: 7.5oz Materiel: NoSeeUm Entry: Zipper Style: Ridgeline Entry Location: Side $65.00 http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/bla...r-accessories/
    2. AntiGravityGear Vista Zip 7.1 201 NoSeeUm Zipper Ridgeline Side $74.95 http://antigravitygear.com/shop/shel...vista-bug-net/
    3. Wilderness Logics Bug Net 10.5 298 NoSeeUm Zipper Full Side $80.00 http://wildernesslogics.com/NOSEEUM-...UM-BUG-NET.htm

There's a few other options on the list as well.

I'm 5'11" and 150 pounds, and I currently have a hammock about the size of the kammocks... and I find it completely impossible to get really nice and comfortable in. I tried my buddy's 11' hammock and slept like a dream. Nothing wrong with the Kammok's but I'd rather support a USA manufactured & owned company by-campers and for-campers.

Link to the chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    I've never seen this list before. This is awesome. Thanks for researching for me. I appreciate your time and help. I've read a lot of people say that 10ft is ok but 11ft is more comfortable. That's it... Roo is out. Now I will skower that list and put in some research.
    Pewdiddy

"It's not stupid until you try it."

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Kevlar
    10' isn't necessarily 'more comfortable', I just found it was comfortable for me. It's always a weight/cost trade-off. Papa Smurf has said he sleeps just fine in a 10' hammock. I don't have enough experience to say, 'if you're this high, get a hammock this long', and there's more to it than that as well.

Kammok does have a very high weight limit for their hammocks, and the daisy-chain python straps they use are pretty cool and interesting. I haven't seen any options out there where people simply say, 'don't use this because XYZ', usually it's, 'You might have better luck with this because XYZ.' Also, I personally am a big fan of supporting cottage vendors.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...Also, the stpatty code doesn't work. I'll lookinto that a bit more.
    It took me a minute to figure it out. After you enter the code and click the "Apply Coupon" button, look in the lower left corner and select "ground shipping" which should have changed to $0.00

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Thanks for this info. I like your perspective. Survival first, Comfort second. Must be something in that Rosenburg water. My good friends started a church there and they love it. Jimn Kyles at The Church. BTW, I haven't bought the Roo. I was convinced this was mine because of the lunar wave feel and strength but not so certain now.

Do you recommend any kind of UQ? I was looking at the UGQ Zeppelin full length.
    Well,

Comfort is important, and its the best thing you get out of a hammock. If you want to walk a long way in a day, the first thing you need to do is get a good night's sleep---can't really get that in a tent. Biggest drawback to hammock is sleeping late because its too comfy to get out of.

I was speaking more of convenience rather than comfort. Dutchware is good stuff, but much of it is not essential, although awful dang convenient once you've got all your other problems solved.

If you haven't gotten the Roo yet, give a serious look at Dutch's hammock with suspension and a Fronkey net. Thumbnail figgerin says you'll be about $100 closer to that UQ than if you went with the Kammok products. But a HUG from AHE is cheaper and weighs less.

For a tarp, I'd say the Hennessy Hex is a good tarp for the money, but the Toxaway from Arrowhead runs about the same money and is high quality as is the Underground Quilts Hanger series of tarps. I've used all three, and the HH Hex is still my go to tarp.

I was at a Men's retreat with a Youth Ministry guy from The Church. They seem to be theologically similar to mine, Riverpointe in Richmond.

EDIT TO ADD LINKIES FOR TARPS ABOVE:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...away_Tarp.html

http://undergroundquilts.com/tarps/default.html

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p...70d_polyester/

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p..._30d_sylnylon/
    Last edited by sargevining; 03-19-2015 at 22:44.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    I've been looking at this. This is why I was thinking of just using grey lash it with my ridgeline and tie outs.
    Yes to this, the 1.75 line can do it all and do it well. You can even use the same size line to make prussik loops for the guylines.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I tried the zippered bugnets and didn't care for them. Too much work to fiddle with a zipper. When I want out of the hammock, I want out easy & quick. I now own a SLD Nexus net. It's about as simple as it gets, but then I don't live in a terribly buggy part of the country. The Fronkey style bugnet is another easy in & out style that lots of folks use. I did try an integrated bugnet hammock a few years back, but it's overkill for me and I have a bit of claustrophobia in one.

I'm a fan of Wilderness Logics tarps myself. I own a Big Daddy and a Wild River for rafting. The Tadpole is a favorite of many HF folks.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    I made a common mistake among newbies when I got started hammocking. I went for what I saw as a nice hammock with a armor-like bug net. It weighed over 2 lbs, was the size of a basketball, and was too short (though I didn't realize it at the time).

I spent a lot of time and money upgrading everything but the insulation. I was a ground dweller for over 10 years, and was not willing to simply hang up all those sleeping pads and mummy bags that I had invested precious dollars into. One cold night changed my whole perspective. I've since shelved the "basketball" in favor of a simple Dutch hammock. I hung up the sleeping bags, and put my money towards a 3 season UQ and a few TQ from Jacks R Better.

Hindsight is a real jerk sometimes.
    Always last to the camp site.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I approve....
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast