Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    Blue foam pad + TQ
    Suspension
    H+Descender rings

Grand Trunk's stock suspension weight

Hi suspended junkies!

I'm in the process of getting a new hammock, and I'm a bit of a gram weenie sometimes.
    There are some nice cheap GT hammocks in Canada, and in order to figure out how much they would weight with a proper suspension system, I'd like to know what is their stock suspension's weight!

That is :
    _ What they call 'Rope kit', I guess it's the stock tree-hugging rope
    _ 2 heavy carabiners
    _ 2 black rope loops going through the channel ends

Do any of you have one at hand and happen to know the weight of it?

Thanks!

Edit : Resolved! LottaGravy weighted it :
    - 259g (9.25oz) for [Suspension rope + carabiners + black rope loops]
    - 124g (4.4oz) biners only
    Last edited by Paperjuice; 03-21-2015 at 11:06. Reason: Resolved

I have two sets of them and like them (like, not love).

I will preface this saying that I am in a novice stage. There are limitations. Note what you get is two rope suspensions, each comprised of a doubled piece of rope with a 24" x 2" tube sleeve webbing the rope goes through to protect the trees. Plus a nice sack they come in. That's it. The ropes have knots about 8" apart to adjust what height/angle you want to clip your hammock end biners to. I recommend subtracting some or moving the knots where you want them. They are not jammed and easy to move.

Weight is less than a pound but I don't have a gram scale.
    Amazon site says it is 6.5 lbs (har!), and REI says 5.6 Oz, which sounds about right.

Now, the real heavy weight is the Grand Trunk carabiners that come with the double hammock. They don't come with the tree slings. They must be a pound a piece. Not really, but seems like it. Suggest something lighter, or a wood toggle or something.

Downsides of the GT tree sling? Well, not the lightest, nor the strongest (the sacks says 400 limit) - i don't know if that means 200lb per sling? And not the simplest to adjust in real time (have to move a knot if you are particular and the height you need falls between the preset knots. I am considering a set of whoopies. Though, I suppose the whoopie plus tree straps and biners or clips - the total weight might of that suspension might be similar to the GT tree sling - but more adjustable. I need to lose those GT biners though.
    Last edited by Cheapshoes; 03-20-2015 at 21:18. Reason: Spelling and clarity

Paperjuice: I just realized you may be asking about the GT stock rope kit. If you mean what comes with the hammock, that is just plain rope, no tree strap. The rope is doubled, about 4 feet long like that, and won't protect the trunk. It is is plenty light enough, but not really sufficient length to go around the trunk and reach to your hammock unless the trees are close. To save weight, you could use a piece of light Wally foam around the trunk, the stock rope used as a tree strap over that, and whoopie from the rope to to the hammock. Find another solution to connect the whoopie to the rope than the stock heavy biners. I'm going to try something like this.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Kevlar
    If you mean the 'stock' one, they don't have weights listed and I wouldn't use it anyway-- see Cheapshoes' comment above. If you mean the tree sling kit:

5.6 Oz for the tree sling + whatever carabiner you use. The stock Grand Trunk carabiners aren't listed on their site so I don't know how much they weigh. A standard oval crab weighs about 2oz. So maybe around 9.5oz for the kit.

Each sling is 24', so you get about 12' of useable length (It's doubled up) to go around the tree and get to your hammock. They use a 'tree protector' which is basically opened loop webbing. Not sure that's all that good for the tree.

Grand Trunk - Tree Slings - 5.6oz - Carabiner - Rope Sling - Rope Sheath - Nylon Webbing - Carabiners Not Included - $19.95 -https://grandtrunk.com/shop/tree-slings-hanging-kit/

The spreadsheet has tons of other options as well. If you're a real gram weenie, go for the dutch kevlar whoopie sling kit. It doesn't get much lighter or easier than that. (A UCR would be lighter for the same usable length, but not by much.) Total weight for the Dutch Kevlar whoopie-hook kit w/ 4' tree slings and 6' whoopies is: 2.58 oz.
    Last edited by JacobAllison; 03-21-2015 at 03:24.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    Blue foam pad + TQ
    Suspension
    H+Descender rings
    Thanks for your insights on this!

What I'm looking for is really the weight of the stock suspension they ship with their hammock, so that I can subtract it from the total weight they claim to get the real no-suspension hammock weight.

If I was to get a GT in the end, I plan on switching this stock suspension with a very light system I discussed in my other thread, exactly like the one you suggest Jacob! (Except I'm thinking about 5' slings).

I was just hoping for someone to happen to have one GT at hand, and who would be able to weight the [suspension rope + carabiners + black rope loops]

Found them in the ol bag of "unwanted". 259 grams total (biners+rope+loops). The steel biners are 124 grams by themselves ropes make up the rest.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    Blue foam pad + TQ
    Suspension
    H+Descender rings
    Awesome, thanks LottaGravy & everyone else !

• + New Posts