Hammock
    Exped Scout Combi
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    25x77 Thermarest
    Suspension
    Exped

Sleeping pad vs underquilt?...and other random questions.........

I use a 25x77" Therm a rest closed cell pad inside my double bottom Exped Scout Hammock. I motorcycle camp so the bulk of the pad is no big deal as it straps right to my top box. I side sleep quite a bit, so the wide pad helps me do this in the Exped. My question is, what advantage does a underquilt have over a wide pad when it comes to warmth in colder hangs?

I'm now looking at adding another hammock to my gear. I want to try something longer & wider(I'm 6'4" & 230) so should I be thinking 12' long x 60+ wide?

Simply Light has a fixed ridgeline option, what are the pro's and con's of fixed, or am I better off stringing my own ridge? I have a Kelty Noah 12' tarp I will be using with the new hammock. I also really like Exped's tree strap system so I ordered another set....their straps have loops spliced into the the hang line, so a carabiner on each end of the Hammock clips into watever loop to get the sag right.

My current set up on the bike for a 3 week trip:

I think as far as warmth goes both solutions work. I've gone to 3* with winds up to 35mph with pads and -8 with quilts. I think in very windy places pads offer some added protection to a well placed tarp. A lot of people complain about condensation on pads, but I never really have this problem although I do sometimes put a small fleece under me, which maybe absorbs some moisture. With the pad if you move you can easily end up with part of your upper body off the pad. Many people use a pad extender around their shoulder. I always used 2 thinner pads that I would have overlapped at the feet and then separating like a V as they moved toward the head. The still overlapped and this gives me enough coverage on the shoulders to stay warm. One problem with pads that sometimes frustrates me is that they move as I am trying to get comfortable in the hammock and can be hard to readjust without some hammock gymnastics. I'd say that quilts are easier once you learn how to get them on in a way that works for you. And I think more comfortable. You have to worry about losing insulation value if they get wet, but you can lower that risk with synthetics since weight doesn't matter to you. You can also control the temp a little easier with an underquilt as the temps rise.

I will leave the second question to others as I sleep fine in most any hammock.

The fixed ridge line makes setup much easier as you won't have to adjust the hang angle each time. You can always add your own fixed ridgeline later. With some integrated bug net hammocks people flip them over to lounge around or sleep when bugs aren't an issue. I don't think you could flip the hammock over and use it with a fixed ridgeline.
    Last edited by ktitan; 03-18-2015 at 10:56.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    What you have works, so pick and choose what best improves your situation or just reduce the bulk.
    That HH expedition has all you really need for MC camping with the enclosed bug net. If you want a 12 foot hammock you might want to get a gathered end (Dutch or DIY) for non-bug season (if there is such a thing in Tenn:>)
    You said you are happy with the Suspension.
    That leaves an UQ vs pad. Personally, I use both (a pad with my HH and an UQ with my gathered end). If I had an UQ that properly fit my HH bottom entry hammock I would choose to use it vs the pad. So if you decide to get an UQ I recommend you get one that specifically fits your HH Asym hammock.
    TQ - I use a sleeping bag - tried a TQ and it was nice, but sleeping bag was more versatile for my usage.
    Down vs synthetic - there is a recent post on this controversy. Look at the pros/cons and choose for your style/area. Both work.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Exped Scout Combi
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    25x77 Thermarest
    Suspension
    Exped
    ktitan, all good points. I have been reading on the UQ & Pad section and browsed some of the UQ links. I don't see many that list a stuffed size for say a 20 degree quilt. I have not had a moisture problem yet either, but like oldpappy, I use a sleeping bag inside my hammock. A Marmot Trestles 15 bag for summer and a big bulky Slumberjack zero for colder nights.

OP, its not a HH, it's a Exped:
    http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-...-hammock-combi

Sorry, the Scout does tend to confuse......and for sure an integrated bug net for TN. I can flip my Exped over and be bug net free if I find myself out west. I'd love to have a down bag, but dang they are pricy......

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I recently started using an UQ. Before that, I made a pad work: the drawbacks I experienced with a pad were placement in the hammock (uncurling the ends) and staying on the pad (Narrow 20" backpacking model). I should have used wings for my shoulders (not so noticeable except in extreme cold). I have seen the smallest bit of moisture trapped in the waffles of my pad, but it never really affected the performance of my insulation...can't really compare with my UQ as I've only used it in sub zero weather thus far. OTH, with an Under Quilt, there's some fiddling with adjustment to ensure a snug fit to trap body heat. Either method works, I just find the UQ allows me more freedom of movement while I'm sleeping.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Took a look at the scout... my guess is that you're better off with a pad in that one due to the way it spreads on the ends. My rub with pads has been that you need a wide one, but they all come long. In a typical gathered end hammock, the long pad rides up too much and ends up affecting the lay, comfort, easy-goingness, etc. The UQ forms around you, making your insulation more efficient, but it does need to be up close on you to insulate, and therein is the persnickety-ness of UQs. The latter is a problem today that is easily rectified depending on your setup.

Simply light is a great choice in my un-biased opinion! The fixed RL means you can judge if you've got sag right by the tautness of the line - very simple, don't have to keep playing with it. However, just because you've got the right sag for the std RL, that doesn't always mean its going to be the best thing for you. That's where the adjustable RL comes in. A lot of the sag and how its related to comfort is going to be dependent on tree distance, how high up the tree you are, what your body feels like that particular day, etc. So, it can be great to play with it and dial it in for your own personal comfort.

You can always fix it at std length and leave it there while you're getting used to it, and I would do that at first.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Exped Scout Combi
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    25x77 Thermarest
    Suspension
    Exped
    Donk....sub zero? tell me more....were you in a sleeping bag, what clothing did you wear & how comfortable were you? The reason I ask, is that even in a tent in sub zero I usually have on long johns, wool socks & cap in my bag.

dakota, on my last motor trip I did about 6K miles and camped 10 nights or so. This was my second trip with the Exped, but the longest. I found exactly what you stated & that each hang required some adjustment. One of them was just all around wrong since I had to hang in a picnic table cover where the poles were too close together....no matter how much fiddling I did, I could not get comfortable due to that short distance. If it had not been windy & raining I would have gone to ground. Here is a pic of that one...it's Eagle Lake in NM....not a tree in sight:

You answered my question on the fixed RL, so I will stick to an adjustable......thanks. As for the pad, I think I might try a UQ just for packability when I decide to hoof it into the woods. There is no way I would try and take the Thermarest...way to big for a backpack. Looking at Exped's site, I see they have 26x78 down inflatable pads....might be worth considering too:
    http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-...lw#prettyPhoto
    Last edited by Motor7; 03-19-2015 at 07:24.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    As someone who uses pads in subzero, I have found for me the best way to maximize coverage and insulation is to have a ccf pad cut to the exact width of the hammock, thus it will lay perpendicular to the other pad and provide extra insulation for my core, and plenty for my shoulders. This method in a double layer hammock eliminates for me most of the oft stated issues described above. Ymmv
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Exped Scout Combi
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    25x77 Thermarest
    Suspension
    Exped
    Duct, what thickness ccf for the custom cut....so your talking a 2 pad system & if so what about bulk?

Hammock
    Hennessy hammock expedition zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy monsoon
    Insulation
    Exped 9 xp downmat
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    I personally use a exped downmat 9 xp with my Hennessy zip model and love it .I find it stretches out the hammock for a more even sleep and it pack down tiny although it is a little heavier than a UQ. Sometimes i get a little condensation but only if i pick the wrong temperature sleeping bag for the trip

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast