WB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermalite Scout
    Suspension
    Webbing straps

Bugnets and side by side hammocks... or bunk

I would like to eventually get my 5yo a hammock and have her go hammock camping with me. I have a WB XLC hammock. I was thinking about getting a GT SBP so the wife could use it. (if I can ever get her to go camping with me).

So I'm wondering if its better (or easier) to get a separate bug net and have two hang within that bugnet under the same tarp or if its better to just get two nicer hammocks with bug nets. the reason this is even a question is really because my 5yo is a little girl and she usually snuggles next to me in a tent on the ground. SO I'm thinking a side by side arrangement with three trees is probably the best. Is there a bugnet that would work for this or should I just save up and get to bug net hammocks. Oh, the other reason I'm worried is because she's not the most coordinated and I'm worried she might rip a hammock with a bugnet on it. I'm sure someone has been through this before. Tell me what you decided to do?

Hammock
    Kammok Roo (w/ Dragonfly Net)
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It's an expensive option (and not a popular one on this forum), but I really like SMR's set-up for what you'd like to do...

more SMR videos...

edit: forgot the website link....

www.smrgearme.com
    Last edited by Delta27; 03-16-2015 at 22:19. Reason: forgot their website

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch

Bugnets and side by side hammocks... or bunk

First time both my daughter and son camped out with me, they snuggled up with me in the hammock. Since then they both have their own hammocks. When the wife comes out, she prefers we do bunk bed configure because she likes everyone close. To share a bug net you may have to DIY one. I'd recommend a Fronkey style but make it extra long.

Good luck. Brian
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermalite Scout
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    I've looked at the Nube before. That is an interesting couple of setups. I like the idea though. I think Bunk hanging is the way to go if I can get a mosquito net to work with it.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo (w/ Dragonfly Net)
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain3278 View Post
    I've looked at the Nube before. That is an interesting couple of setups. I like the idea though. I think Bunk hanging is the way to go if I can get a mosquito net to work with it.
    something to note if you do try it...

The SMR Pares (the large hammock) and EZ-Slings (their suspension straps that you hook the caribiners to) are rated for 1000lbs. That's why they can hook the XPlor (their smaller hammock) into the same suspension straps as the Pares. They warn in the video to be wary of trying it that way with other suspensions and hammocks from other companies. (Maybe you'd have to have a seperate suspension but connected to the same tree or something.)

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Not cheap but sounds almost idea: I love my Clark Vertex. It's two person, side by side with a center console that easily held my 11 year old nephew letting 3 of us fall asleep without even meaning to. So much for my 'demo' to my family. It has the integrated bugnet that folds out of the way when you don't need it as well as the weathershield which is good against mist, light rains, etc. It comes with a silnyl tarp for when the weather is worse, etc.

You mentioned she's 5 and likes to sleep beside you? Option A, she crashes in the other side when it's you two, Option B she crashes in the middle when your wife joins.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermalite Scout
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Yeah, I may have to get a stronger hammock to fit anyone other than my daughter in there with me. I think she is 50lbs and I'm right at 200 or just under at 195 depending on the day. The WB XLC that I have is only rated to 250lbs. I'm sure it could handle more than that. but don't want to risk breaking/tearing it. I'm sure I could fit 3 hammocks in a side by side by side config under a Kelty Noah 12 or something similar. Maybe bunk hang my 5yo and side by side hang the wifes. Might get a little claustrophobic though.

• + New Posts