Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermalite Scout
    Suspension
    Webbing straps

Thunderstorms? What does everyone do when there is a thunderstorm?

I was just contemplating this. Don't want to get struck by lightning. So what does everyone doe when a thunderstorm comes along and your hanging. ie at night or once you've hung your hammock. Do you just sit under your tarp until the thunder is gone or what?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I enjoy the spectacle. You're just as safe in a hammock as you are in a tent, except when the water flows under you, your backside doesn't get wet.

If you anticipate storms, hang your tarp low to the ground, pick your campsite so that the prevailing winds hit the side and not the ends, and make sure you're not in the midst of dead trees.

After that, its just you and what God does.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I really enjoy the action, but always get a little nervous about a stake pulling out and having to get soaked to fix it. So I usually keep an eye on them.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I also make sure that I have a nice crease in the top of my tarp - if there is any sag sometimes I'll get an awful pool up there, and then the tarp gets weighed down. Running a line under the tarp, instead of just to the 2 corners, takes care of this. Other than that, agreed with sargevining - enjoy the spectacle and the fact that you don't need to worry about moisture running into your tent.

Caveat: While I've hung in the rain more than once, I've not been hammock camping long enough to have more than one data point for a thunderstorm. I'd say site selection is key. If you've chosen a site thinking that a t-storm might blow up, then you should be good to stay where you are. This assumes that you've chosen a spot with lower trees, not on top of a hill, not tied off to a radio tower or something like that. If the spot you're in is not good - tall trees, top of the hill, many metal objects pointing into the sky - I'd move.

I'd rather get wet, even soaking wet, instead of staying put in a bad spot. So my advice would be to pick a sheltered spot BEFORE the storm. Then if a storm comes, there's no decision to make because you're already there.

The one storm I was in wasn't all that heavy and was over relatively soon. I was halfway down a hill in relatively smaller trees, so I didn't move because I didn't think I could improve my situation by moving.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Lightning - for those who know these sorts of things, IF a tree is struck, are you better off attached to the tree in a hammock, or nearby the tree on the ground? I'm guessing in a hammock.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    I just hunker down and ride it out. For the most part I enjoy it although there have been a few times I was a wee bit nervous. For the most part there isn't any place to go, may as well be in your hammock!

- Rob
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    As far as top of the hill vs bottom of the hill, it doesn't make much difference, and could actually be higher risk at the bottom depending on the grade of the hill, if you are on the side the storm is approaching from. Shorter trees are arguably lower risk. Toward the bottom of the leeward side of a hill, away from the storm's approach, should be lower risk. Stay clear of exposed ledge. Do not take shelter under overhangs/lean-tos. If I'm concerned about thunderstorms, I take careful note of the trees in the area I'm in, looking for scars and splits from previous storms. If I see any significant amounts of damaged trees, I high tail it out of the area if a storm is approaching. Bottom line is, the only way to significantly reduce your risk of getting struck by lightning is to get out of the back country and in to a closed structure.
    Last edited by dingbat; 03-16-2015 at 13:42.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I enjoy the spectacle. You're just as safe in a hammock as you are in a tent, except when the water flows under you, your backside doesn't get wet.

If you anticipate storms, hang your tarp low to the ground, pick your campsite so that the prevailing winds hit the side and not the ends, and make sure you're not in the midst of dead trees.

After that, its just you and what God does.

Exactly the game plan I have. Shelter yourself the best you can with the terrain to block heavy winds if you can, angle your set up to block the blowing rain the best you can and then enjoy a front row seat to the best show in the world.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermalite Scout
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Interesting. I guess it does make sense. My former career as a property adjuster showed me that lightning can come up from the ground or down from the sky.

I supposed I'd rather be off the ground, although my webbing would be melted and I'd be on the ground within a second of a bolt hitting the tree.

Guess I'll pick my site with low trees and a little less scenic exposure. lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast