Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear DCF
    Insulation
    EE Revelation Apex
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've developed an irrational fear of lightening in my adulthood. I used to love thunderstorms, never bothered me in the least. About 7 years ago I was out for a run, several miles from my house and got caught in a bad lightning storm. Lighting hit a tree right near me and I jumped out of my skin. Ever since then, just this completely overwhelming fear, despite knowing the odds are so slim of being struck.

Now I just pucker up and focus on controlling my fear. At least if I'm going to die, I hope it's in a hammock. Hopefully I'll get back to enjoying them someday.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I've been caught in several in the NC mountains when I didn't yet have shelter pitched. Road them out sitting on my pack with the aluminum stays ground side down and a poncho providing my only cover. Can't say its the safest way to experience T storms up close but it made for some incredible light shows.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Given none of my tent camper buddies ever pack a separate rainfly, I like to watch as everyone comes and sits under mine because they don't to go park themselves in their little hut. They snicker up their sleeve at me for my hammock, I get the last laugh in the end. It's like a living meme. Not that I mind at all, it's just amusing when it happens.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    A tree, especially a lone tree, or a taller tree can act as a lightning conduit—if you are under this tree when it is struck by lightning, then that lightning can get you too, at the same time.

That said, I might choose to hang on smaller trees in a grove of trees and take my chances.
    Not sure if being in a hammock offers any protection from lightning—probably not.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain3278 View Post
    Ha! I like one of the comments. The odds of being struck by lightning should be included in any discussion on being struck by lightning. Very true.

I've been inside a house where it hit the ground outside on a couple sides of the house. Its really a wildly organic thing. Path of least resistance and all but it never seems to go where you think it would.
    Funny you should mention that, when I was 17-years old, we were at the local burger joint where you roll your window down and they bring a tray out with all the goodies to hang on said window.

Well, I saw a gal whom I had an interest in and exited the 1966 Rambler and went over to say hello. Of course it was in a thunderstorm, and of course lightening struck oh-so-near just at the moment when I touched her car door handle.

Cars have rubber tires are pretty much immune from lightening strikes, however ole Joe with his Keds snickers, was not so well protected. My left arm was down at my side when I recovered, and I could not move it. Gradually the feeling and nerves began to sort themselves out. So yeah, it happens.

If you are the type who touches a doorknob on a very low humidity day, something like the day after a huge front passes and it is bluebird skies and windy, and you get knocked back a couple of feet, then you have a low resistance skin.

In any case the skinny on lightening is that the earth and clouds are at the opposite ends of the electrical (static) continuum. So, as clouds roam over the earth, the turbulence generates the potential difference in charges when eventually overcome and lightening results.

Out in the Wind River Range and in Wolf Creek Pass we saw (generally) football sized patches of trees which had been struck by lightening. This is because these are the spots where the potential difference between the earth and the clouds are most conducive to all that spark-gap to be all that it can be.

Lightening does, indeed strike twice, and thrice and ad-nausea-um. Look for a patch of blackened trees, that is a great place to observe lightening at its finest.

If you are caught out, squat down with both feet together, so the current (if any develops) cannot travel up one leg and down the other. What is really special is when your of-so-expensive carbon fiber 6' 8" casting rod begins to sing to you. Beware!

Shug's Jock Rock Trail Video (Time Stamp 2:37)

Check that tree out behind the videographer's head. Black moss at its finest, one prays that it was due to a fire.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 04-08-2021 at 12:32.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    ... What is really special is when your of-so-expensive carbon fiber 6' 8" casting rod begins to sing to you. Beware!

Or when you and your pals are standing around and you notice that everyone else's hair is standing straight up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Or when you and your pals are standing around and you notice that everyone else's hair is standing straight up.
    You too, eh!

Yup. Another time watched a power pole 50' away burst into pieces. And then there was the time that the ozone got to our noses less than a second after the flash. Definitely exhilarating!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Yeti 20
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    Once you really get confident with your set-up nighttime storms are one of the highlights of camping. I love it. I don't think I ever sleep better than snug in a hammock in the rain. Lightning is fun in small doses but it gets old getting woken up over and over if it's close by.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PatapscoMike View Post
    Once you really get confident with your set-up nighttime storms are one of the highlights of camping. I love it. I don't think I ever sleep better than snug in a hammock in the rain. Lightning is fun in small doses but it gets old getting woken up over and over if it's close by.
    I was out on a trip with some tenting friends and there were some lightning storms passing during the evening into the wee hours. I spoke to him (my buddy, JimmyB) about it in the morning and we were both doing the same thing, counting the seconds between flash and boom. I think we both fell asleep while it was still active, though... I mean, what were we going to do anyway if it got close?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast