Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY Hammock Stand

Howdy Folks,

I've been not much of a contributor in the past. I will try to change this.

I have attached a schematic from this forum that I downloaded in July 2012 of a DIY Hammock Stand. I have some questions about the measurements of some of the cut wood pieces.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly Clone
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & WL DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Images
    What are your questions about it? I built one similar last year, I didn't stick with the exact measurements of any plan. I just used the idea of the plan if you get what I'm saying.
    A smile is a curve that can get a lot of things straight.

Thanks for replying K8oe. The pieces that are on the inside of the base, the ones the hammock support pieces are attached to, 3 1/2 or 4 ft. long? I probably can just wing it too, but another opinion would be helpful. What do you think?

BTW, how is yours working out? Do you use it a lot? I intend to use mine nightly and perhaps more.
    Last edited by slhaynes; 03-15-2015 at 21:05. Reason: I meant to ask about his item too!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly Clone
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & WL DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Images
    I really enjoy my stand, I have it on a large 2nd floor deck, so its easy access. I use it quite often, its a great place to relax. I took some measurements and put them on a snapshot of the one you posted hammockstand pic 2.jpg . So you see my distances are a bit different. From top point to top point is 14'-9" (yes we can say overkill, lol), from floor to top point is about 6'-4". The piece I think you're talking about on mine is 5' long and attached on the base 2' in and 4' up on the side piece. The legs on mine are 2x6's and about 5' long. I hope this helps a bit. Just ask if you think of something else.

K8oe, would you say the main reason for the deck screws is to hold the pieces together for drilling the bolt holes? That's my take anyway. Thanks for the image. It helps to visualize the item better.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly Clone
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & WL DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Images
    Slhaynes, The deck screws are not just to hold the pieces while you drill, but to stop the smaller pieces from spinning or rotating once you've got the bolt put through. If you didn't have the screws the small pieces would be free to move. I'll put a pic or two of mine here.
    photo 1.jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    I hope this helps.

K8oe, ahh, I see now and I understand. I intended to use the screws. I was just wondering their full purpose and now I know. I think I'll start working on it tomorrow. I have the wood, at least most of it. And the screws too. The bolts and eye bolts will need to be purchased still. I don't think it'll take too long to complete.

The line at the top is for attaching a tarp and/or a mosquito netting?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly Clone
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & WL DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Images
    I had a tarp over it at one time and never took it back down..lol.

Well; so far, so good. I'll post a link to my youtube video when I've completed it. This is the biggest project of this kind I've ever done. A nice learning experience. I've learned that half inch bolts only have about a two inch thread. I've learned that five two-by-four's are eight inches wide. Checking large dimensions of wood is hard to do with a small protractor but is doable. I have just the four bottom bolts to install in the base and the cross feet/support to attach. K8oe has been a great help and I say "thanks" for that! If the weather co-operates, I should be finished tomorrow, 03-22-2015. I should get the finished video up a day or so later to post a link here for those interested.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly Clone
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & WL DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Images
    LOL! Looking forward to seeing it. Especially if you're measuring everything with a protractor..lol. Projects like this are always fun and a learning experience. Shoulda seen when I rebuild our 2nd floor deck, boy what a time. It was right after I finished it that I saw the plans for the hammock stand, and I thought if I had only seen them while I was building the deck I could have incorporated it into the deck itself. That would have been a nice way to have a permanent place to hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast