ENO Blaze Underquilt

Hi:

I thinking of getting an ENO Blaze underquilt. To be honest, this would not be my first choice (would probably go with a Hammock Gear model) but the Blaze is sold at REI. With a 20% discount coupon and using my dividend, I can get the quilt at an attractive price. Can anybody comment on this quilt? Likes and dislikes? Does anybody use this quilt with a Warbonnet Blackbird? I saw Dave Hansen's review and the quilt looked OK, good but not great.

Thanks and best regards.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I would look for something else to buy with my dividend if I were in your situation. A Hammock gear uq will be warmer, lighter, higher quality material and fill and has a fantastic design as well as being less expensive. The only hiking gear I would buy from places like rei are things like clothing and shoes, water filtration, platypus bags etc, hiking poles etc. Cottage gear all the way for shelter/insulation, packs, and of course dutchware No doubt the blaze will work but there are better options. You won't find many people on here using eno quilts.

Try looking through Dejoha's reviews, he has reviewed a LOT of hammock related gear and still never done a negative review to date, even on some gear that is pretty crappy. His book is great though, as is his artwork.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Don't waste your money. I don't know what price you can get it for but unless it's under $100 you're wasting your money. That's a 24oz and $300 for a 40* quilt (if it says 30-40 odds are it's only good to 40*). That is really over priced and heavy for such a high temp rating. If you meant Derek Hansen's review then you need to know that he pretty much never has anything bad to say about anything he reviews, so take his reviews with a grain or two of salt. There are much much better options out there. Tell us what price you were gonna get the ENO for and I bet we can point you to a better UQ in that price range. Then you can use your discount and dividend for something worthwhile.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I wouldn't recommend it, no matter what the discount. It's like the Toys R Us version of the real tools they sell at Home Depot, like buying a Yugo over a Chevy because Yugo is in your budget.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    If you're looking for something good and that doesn't cost a fortune, buy a Jarbidge UQ from Arrowhead Equipment. It's lightweight, compressible, and costs $100
    Always last to the camp site.

Hammock
    DN, Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    ProFly/SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ JarBridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathstar77 View Post
    If you're looking for something good and that doesn't cost a fortune, buy a Jarbidge UQ from Arrowhead Equipment. It's lightweight, compressible, and costs $100
    There is a 3 season one in the for sale forum right now!
    All those hours exploring the great outdoors made me more resilient and confident

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    ENO tries hard. They're doing lots better. They deserve a pat on the back for trying. But not for this quilt.

The Ember 2 is actually their best deal, but its definitely not a winter quilt---not even in Texas.

For Minnesota, there is nothing that ENO offers that won't need to be supplemented by a goose down quilt of much more fill power than the 750FP duck down they're selling.

If you wait til July REI will give you your dividend in cash.

That's probably the way I'll go. I had a feeling the Blaze quilt would be a dog. Thanks all for the input.

Just more on that, I have the REI credit card which gives an extra 5% dividend on REI purchases, so if I instead use the credit card at REI, and take the dividend back in cash, it gives me 5% more (I never carry a balance.) BTW, if you don't have the REI credit card, they will give you a $100 REI gift card to sign up. I won't buy the ENO quilt at REI, but there is a lot of other cool stuff to buy at REI despite all teh stuff I have been making recently.

• + New Posts