diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
    Thanks brianb, That sounds similar to Bladerunner'l idea above.
    Sorry, missed that in the thread. I'll keep an eye out for his response. Hopefully he comes up with something good.

What's the water you're on in your avatar?
    I'm in NC, and I'm pretty sure that's A little lake we used to camp near off the Blue Ridge Parkway during fall. Pretty area.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Looks wonderful. Thanks. Gonna be down there in a month or so....maybe permanently. Looks like you guys get some fall color down there too. Good to know.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Kevlar
    Good find! Assuming that's the price AG and JRB are buying them, AG's mark up is right in line with standard retail practices, JRB is priced far below. They should be selling the smaller size for $3 something. When cost per piece is under $1, margin should be somewhere around 80% in order to cover overhead. That is the cost of being able to buy a single piece and good customer service. Interesting though...They are intended to be disposable.
    Good point! While I'd ask if anyone wants to get in on a group buy, they're just so cheap from JRB there isn't a point.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    S2S Comfort Light
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    REI sells a 15 or 25 liter pillow stuff sack. They are fleece lined on the inside, empty your contents at night turn inside out and fill with spare clothing/down jacket etc. 15 liter weights 5 oz 8x18" and 25 is at 7 oz 10x20". Also very inexpensive. I have the 15 liter and like it, haven't used in a hammock yet though as that is being delivered tomorrow.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My old Kelty sleeping bag I bought in college has a stuff sack that is fleece lined on one side. It makes a decent pillow when you stuff an extra couple articles of clothing in it. I typically throw my change of socks, hoodie, etc. in it and punch it until it conforms to my head. Best part about it is that it adds no extra weight or volume to my kit since I carry it anyways.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    At home in my hammock, I use my old tent camping pillow. You can get them at Meijer (but probably at Walmart, Target, etc). $2.99, ~7oz, about 10"x16". It's still going to take up some space, but on the bottom of your pack you may not notice it.

Hammock
    dd jungle modular hammock
    Tarp
    included
    Insulation
    n/a (workin on it)
    Suspension
    tree huggers (atm)
    I didnt read everything.. I just wanted to toss in my inititial thoughts on the op..

If you`re up for DIY stuff, and the main issue is shoulder squeeze, just add two loops or hooks or straps and grab a small pole. I use a dd jungle hammock, which has poles at each end. there is no shoulder squeeze, and the hammock is always nice and open and spacious. Just have a quick look at it, and you`ll see what I mean. easily DIY it for your self.

As far as pillow itself goes, once the shoulder squeeze is gone, use the softest, comfiest clothes etc in your bag. I got a coleman -20 sleeping bag the other day that came with a tiny pillow and it works perfcectly! lol

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the replies and ideas fellas.

I have tried longer and larger hammocks. Unfortunately, they don't seem to make a noticeable difference as far the position of my right arm is concerned. I've also messed around with stringing my hammock everywhere from having a sagging ridgeline to tight as a drum and played with angle of lay too. None of it eliminates or greatly reduces the shoulder/arm issue. I think it's more a body shape thing than anything else.

The Nemo I was looking at is an air pillow. It just has a layer of memory foam on one side. I've been knocking ideas around for a while and haven't been able to come up with anything beyond inflatable, or high volume. If i'm going inflatable I'd like it to be dual purpose, thus the thermarest idea. I like the water bladder and ziplock ideas, hadn't thought of those. As much as I'd like to go with a down or compressible foam pillow, they don't do anything for the shoulder/arm issue due to the nature of being compressible. Otherwise, I'm thinking whatever I end up with needs to be 20-24 inches wide for the same reasons which knocks out many of the commercial offerings, though I was surprised to see the exped mentioned above has a 20" model. Gonna look into that. I'm gonna play around with using my jacket too but it seems that's a solution only good for the colder weather. An additional pull out on the hammock might be a solution but I'd really like to avoid that if at all possible. Currently toying with ideas to remove the pullouts my hammock has or go to a hammock without them.

Bladerunner, Anxious to see what you come up with.
    Mark,

If you're going to the NEHHA Spring Hang in Ashby, you can try out my Exped XL inflatable. It's 20" wide and might just do the trick for you. It folds down to nothing and weighs in at 3oz. stowed. Thermarest also makes an inflatable too that's (I think) 19 inches wide.

Otherwise, keep experimenting. You'll find the magic solution soon enough.

All the best.
    Gl
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks Gil. I'm gonna try and make it to NEHHA, but work schedule has just gotten real wonky with the winter sticking around. It kinda sucks because I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for the snow to melt, which as you know isn't happening, then my transitional season is going to be a rushed, hot mess. If I do make it, I'd love to check out your Exped. Hopefully I'll see you there.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    This is my idea to make a pillow.
    In a hammock I don’t need a lot of support so I have been thinking a few layers of synthetic material would do perhaps in a combination with a fleece layer. Nylon on the outside.
    Sadly I never got around to making one.
    pillow.png
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234