Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images

My OGEE Tarp mod - advice wanted

I really, really, really liked the OGEE from first pics. And then my son said wait, before you show me tarps, why hasn't someone done one like this? And drew basically an OGEE! But, I am a grandma and wanted a skosh more privacy than the OGEE sounds like so added 4 12" panels to extend the width and increased the size of the batwings (triangles?) a tad. Now it will hang 11' on a ridgeline pitched either direction.

Here is what I came up with. Getting ready to start cutting and sewing so hope you who have experience will help me out first. Thanks much!

MyOGEEmod-1.jpg

hikerdelita
    Sanford, North Carolina

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    How about putting a 2' panel down the middle rather than 1' on each side?
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    That would work just as easily. The beauty of the original Ogee tarp was that it was a single panel for the main part of the tarp. So it had no ridgeline seam to worry about leaking.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Two feet down the middle still avoids a ridgeline seam that might possibly be stressed, though I wouldn't worry much about it. Seal the seams well, and you'll get years of use out of the tarp before you need to touch up the seams. The other reason to take Red's suggestion is that it maintains the geometry of the side triangle, which distributes the pull over a longer segment of the main tarp section's edge. You will get more side coverage in the center, which might keep your shoes dry. Note that you'll shorten the ridgeline by 12" if you notch the ends of the center strip to match the angles of the current ends. I would still do it.

@ Gargoyle: what do you suggest?

----
    Wait! I assumed you had an Ogee Tarp and were planning to modify it, but rereading your post I see you may be starting from scratch. The beauty (and the curse) of DIY is that you can do anything. Good luck!
    Last edited by WV; 03-12-2015 at 11:09.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    How about just buying wider fabric?

Be careful of how much your selected fabric stretches!

A part of the beauty of Gargoyle's Ogee and Mega Ogee tarp is the simplicity of the design and you get a lot of options with minimal fabric.

Each seam to attach fabric changes how the structure works. How about making a test run with a small quantity of your fabric, such as a dolls tarp done to scale, then you will know if you are going to have problems with the larger project.

Depending on your fabric, cutting the "Wings" on the bias might be a challenge. My Ogee tarps are very ample.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Sew the triangle to the extension piece, instead of dividing your extention panels into 2 pieces, make them 2 a each the length of the tarp. This will simplify construction and give you the same result.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Wow, thanks everybody.
    Scale mini models are tough to get the feel of the real deal. Unless you can shrink yourself down too.

Lots of extra seams, hikerdelita. Tricky seams. Tough to say how the added width and length and seams will effect the way the tarp will hang. Only one way to find out... Build it.

As ironfish77 says, stretchy materials are tougher to work with especially with long seams. She knows.

I will always advise others to HYOH. Have fun.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIYing 2 tablecloths, 2 argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Really, I think that would be easier and I am not sure why to not just do that. I was thinking that putting the seams at the outside edges would mean if it ever did leak through the seam sealing the hammock will still stay dry...? This would be simpler and maybe better.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    That would work just as easily. The beauty of the original Ogee tarp was that it was a single panel for the main part of the tarp. So it had no ridgeline seam to worry about leaking.

Cheers

Brian
    That is one thing I like about t. =)

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Two feet down the middle still avoids a ridgeline seam that might possibly be stressed, though I wouldn't worry much about it. Seal the seams well, and you'll get years of use out of the tarp before you need to touch up the seams. The other reason to take Red's suggestion is that it maintains the geometry of the side triangle, which distributes the pull over a longer segment of the main tarp section's edge. You will get more side coverage in the center, which might keep your shoes dry. Note that you'll shorten the ridgeline by 12" if you notch the ends of the center strip to match the angles of the current ends. I would still do it.

@ Gargoyle: what do you suggest?

----
    Wait! I assumed you had an Ogee Tarp and were planning to modify it, but rereading your post I see you may be starting from scratch. The beauty (and the curse) of DIY is that you can do anything. Good luck!
    You are right, I am starting from scratch and have never seen an OGEE in person (only Youtube) and have never pitched any tarp over my hammock, only my wanderlust sylnylon poncho, which sometimes I just lay over me. So I am a real NOOB, although experienced on a sewing machine.

So you think having the hack in the middle would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by ironfish77 View Post
    How about just buying wider fabric?

Be careful of how much your selected fabric stretches!

A part of the beauty of Gargoyle's Ogee and Mega Ogee tarp is the simplicity of the design and you get a lot of options with minimal fabric.

Each seam to attach fabric changes how the structure works. How about making a test run with a small quantity of your fabric, such as a dolls tarp done to scale, then you will know if you are going to have problems with the larger project.

Depending on your fabric, cutting the "Wings" on the bias might be a challenge. My Ogee tarps are very ample.
    The simplicity of design, lots of options, minimal fabric really appealed to me, too, yet, I did read one or two felt it could have been a little wider. Not sure where I would buy wider silnylon. "My" mod would have fabric grain integrity with the original yet yours is a point well made. No doubt taking time to do a model would help. Hhmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Sew the triangle to the extension piece, instead of dividing your extention panels into 2 pieces, make them 2 a each the length of the tarp. This will simplify construction and give you the same result.
    Sadly, I bought the silnylon without thinking of that and did not buy enough. It would be simpler and a tad wider and heavier (not significant?). That would run my price up quite a bit, but, it would be better to change now and invest more than decide to re-make the whole later.

I REALLY appreciate all the suggestions, they are just the kind of thinking I need help with.

So,...

1. I could buy more fabric to put a two-foot swath down the center (4 yards) but that really would be simpler.

B. I could buy another five yards and do the side panels full length, then attach the triangles a la gargoyle.

OR,... I could look again at the mega-ogee and get over myself.

Meanwhile, I am working on reading all the forum archives and watching all the youtube videos to learn details. (Did it last year, but that was a year ago.)

Thanks much, and please keep those observations and suggestions coming, I have to get this started and finished in the next couple weeks. It is heading up the AT April 6.

Yowza!

hikerdelita
    Sanford, North Carolina

Hammock
    DIYing 2 tablecloths, 2 argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Wow, thanks everybody.
    Scale mini models are tough to get the feel of the real deal. Unless you can shrink yourself down too.

Lots of extra seams, hikerdelita. Tricky seams. Tough to say how the added width and length and seams will effect the way the tarp will hang. Only one way to find out... Build it.

As ironfish77 says, stretchy materials are tougher to work with especially with long seams. She knows.

I will always advise others to HYOH. Have fun.
    OH, WOW! I have been watching you on youtube. =) I was wondering how I would test out a scale mini model plus know sewing doll clothes is much more difficult than "real" clothes.

That is true about the stretchy. Has anyone tried using tissue paper to stabiliza (and then tear it off)?

Thanks for jumping in. This will be interesting no matter how it goes.

hikerdelita,
    Sandford, North Carolina

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'm much better looking on the radio.