DIY Hyper D 1.1 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie

what to dye hyperD with?

I would like to purchase some white HypderD 1.0 and dye it to a vibrant pink for my two daughters.

What is HyperD fabric wise and what is the best way to dye this?

Thanks for any tips!

--chris

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Rit dye is readily available and works well with nylon.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by corrumpu View Post
    I would like to purchase some white HypderD 1.0 and dye it to a vibrant pink for my two daughters.

What is HyperD fabric wise and what is the best way to dye this?

Thanks for any tips!

--chris
    Hey Chris. I have tried off the shelf dyes such as RIT and the results were not great, at least on the first try. The colors are somewhat light and washed out as opposed to vibrant. I would imagine the DWR doesn't help either, but in my experiment I was using a pure finish fabric. There was another vendor that posted something about success with dying a white hammock and possibly posting their method here on the forum. Maybe they can shed some light on a good way to do it.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    You can dye nylon. As said ritt kinda works. You prolly won't be happy with the results though. To get a really good dye job on synthetics you really need acid based dyes. A pressure cooker dye bath helps, but frankly you're getting into toxic stuff here. You also need a big pressure cooker liked 30+ quarts.

My suggestion would be to try and dye a sample with bright red rit dye. Maybe add a little purple also. Do it on the stove not and in the washer. Never ever use the pot for food AGAIN! It impossible to get completely out and is toxic to consume.

Heat helps spread the dye. The longer the dye bath the more likely it is to set. It will probably be splotchy though. Don't expect smooth even color.

Im in theatre and do scenery. I'm not an expert on dying, but I've chatted with a lot of costumers about it.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    I had good luck with RIT dye. I used one bottle of navy liquid, a five gallon bucket, a couple gallons almost boiling water, and about three hours of stirring. Random thrift store woodland camo ripstop, not coated, not calendered. Turned to really dark blue camo.
    100_5275.jpg
    I really like how it turned out.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Daylight View Post
    I had good luck with RIT dye. I used one bottle of navy liquid, a five gallon bucket, a couple gallons almost boiling water, and about three hours of stirring. Random thrift store woodland camo ripstop, not coated, not calendered. Turned to really dark blue camo.
    100_5275.jpg
    I really like how it turned out.
    Hey that is pretty cool!!! I think it's a lot easier to do a solid color where it can sit in the pot. I was trying to tye dye.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Dharma Trading, they in mho are the go to for dying fabric or whatever. Phone number: 1 800 542 5227
    Web address: WWW.Dharmatrading.com

Give them a call, the customer service people are great, they will be able to tell you which dye will work best for your fabric. By your thread after you dye the fabric. Some thread does not take the dye well. I kind of like the two color fabric one color and the thread a bit different, however not everyone likes the variance.

Dharma Trading, has tutorials on line, you can go simple or get complicated, such as one member described. I do not like to use toxic stuff, plus I use my pressure cooker for canning. There are a few ways to heat set and Dharma Trading explains very well on their web site.

Plus Dharma Trading is very reasonable on their shipping costs and they are speedy. They are family owned/operated since the 1960's or 70's. I have bought from them since the 70's.
    Last edited by ironfish77; 03-12-2015 at 19:08. Reason: Contact Information

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Rit dye is readily available and works well with nylon.
    Cool Aid also dyes, however, not too wonderful.
    My experience with Rit Dye is it dyes and stays put on SOME items. Washes out of others and it lacks the rich tones available from other fabric dyes.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ironfish77 View Post
    Dharma Trading, they in mho are the go to for dying fabric or whatever. Phone number: 1 800 542 5227
    Web address: WWW.Dharmatrading.com

Give them a call, the customer service people are great, they will be able to tell you which dye will work best for your fabric. By your thread after you dye the fabric. Some thread does not take the dye well. I kind of like the two color fabric one color and the thread a bit different, however not everyone likes the variance.

Dharma Trading, has tutorials on line, you can go simple or get complicated, such as one member described. I do not like to use toxic stuff, plus I use my pressure cooker for canning. There are a few ways to heat set and Dharma Trading explains very well on their web site.

Plus Dharma Trading is very reasonable on their shipping costs and they are speedy. They are family owned/operated since the 1960's or 70's. I have bought from them since the 70's.
    I forgot about Dharma. I second looking at their stuff. Very reputable. I've used their dyes to paint scenic backdrops before.

I came home one day and my wife was using my pressure canner and crab pot to tie dye t-shirts with a bunch of college kids. I was not a happy camper...

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    RIT seems to be kinda hit or miss. I think it has more to do with the colors being used as opposed to the brand of dye. Seems all the dark colors are great, but some of the yellows, greens, etc can look a bit washed out. I would do some heavy research and see what you can find out there.

Ryan

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast