ENO SN
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20o
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

NM > April Backpacking

I am visiting my daughter and her family in Clovis, NM this April and plan to do a weekend backpacking trip in one of the wilderness areas. We hope to hang so trees are obviously needed. Could do a back country loop or base camp and do day hikes. Any suggestions and resources to help plan would be appreciated. We would drive to the area on the Friday morning and head back Sunday afternoon. We are fit and experienced back packers but unfamiliar with the southwest.

Clyde

Hammock
    Currently WBRR
    Tarp
    WB CB
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    The Pecos Wilderness in the Sangre de Cristo Mts is the closest mountain wilderness to Clovis. It's about 150 miles from Clovis to Las Vegas, NM; from there you could access the Pecos near the El Porvenir campground and Hermit Peak. You could also head west of Las Vegas toward Santa Fe ~50 miles and access the Pecos from the south via the village of Pecos and head north towards Cowles. Be sure to contact the Santa Fe National Forest for an update on access and road conditions. You will likely encounter snow banks on the trails, especially up high, and the creeks may be up from snow melt. Plenty of trees up there to hang from. With April weather nights will be below freezing, days may be anything from sunny 50*-70* or it might rain or snow. There are additional access points north of Las Vegas and on the west side near Santa Fe depending on how far you want to drive. Here are the links to maps of the SFNF and the Pecos Wilderness. Enjoy!

SFNF Map - http://www.nationalforestmapstore.co...ct-p/nm-10.htm
    Pecos Wilderness Map - http://www.nationalforestmapstore.co...ct-p/nm-18.htm

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20o
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks ARG! Sounds perfect for what we are looking for.

Hammock
    bias WW, WWM
    Tarp
    the MAMA
    Insulation
    Rev X TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    +1 on the Pecos Wilderness. I live in the village of Pecos and have backpacked extensively in the area. Be prepared for some chilly nights as the elevation here is between 8000 and 12000ft. you are welcome to PM me if you want more info. One of my favorite hike is from Jacks creek CG (by the village of Pecos) to Pecos Baldy lake, spend the night by the lake, then hike up Pecos Baldy 12529ft. you can easily make a loop out of it if desired...

• + New Posts