Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads

HELP - How Much Fabric To Purchase - New To DIY

I have been procrastinating making the leap into true DIY - hammocks, stuff sacks, snake skins and the like. I recently came into possession of a sewing machine (oops, sorry, a Thread Injector) and I am putting together an order. Here is my problem, I noticed Dutch has a sale going on and I want to purchase enough in bulk to meet my current needs as well as where this addiction may take me.

How much fabric would you purchase to learn, build and keep building with? For those with experience, how much would you purchase? What would you build? How much is enough?

I am not sure how long this sale with be in place but at $4 a yard for PolyD and NylonD I want in!

Thanks everyone,

Rob
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Well, a bolt would be useful and cost efficient!

DIY is addictive, you do one project, then you realize there is a better way or feature. So, then you make another with innovations, then maybe another improved version.

Then you make one for your significant other or relative, friend and/or neighbor, maybe try selling on HF/Local Craigslist/Ebay/Itsy. Before you know it a lot of yardage has been used.

I have a fabric stash, I am sure other members also have a stash. Kind of a go to selection for when the urge hits to create.

I tend to buy in 7 yard chunks, now that I do not inject as often as I would like.

Hammock
    DIY XL hyperD 11'
    Tarp
    diy gen2 silpoly
    Insulation
    diy UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by ironfish77 View Post

DIY is addictive, you do one project, then you realize there is a better way or feature. So, then you make another with innovations, then maybe another improved version.

Then you make one for your significant other or relative, friend and/or neighbor, maybe try selling on HF/Local Craigslist/Ebay/Itsy. Before you know it a lot of yardage has been used.

I have a fabric stash, I am sure other members also have a stash. Kind of a go to selection for when the urge hits to create.

I tend to buy in 7 yard chunks, now that I do not inject as often as I would like.
    that's about what I do. i wish i could afford to buy a bolt at a time, i would have gone through about half of it by now. i would recommend figuring out what you want to make and order an extra 7 yards on top of that if you are able to afford it. one thing that i always recommend to first time DIYers is to start small and work up from there. don't try to bite off more than you can chew, it gets expensive and frustrating that way. start out by learning how to properly set your machine and sew a relatively straight stich. measure and plan and above all be PATIENT, its not something you get good at right away. have fun with it and post pics of the projects

Hammock
    DIY bridge+10 0thers
    Tarp
    HH Hex + DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ/U Q + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Cinch Bu
    Hey Rob is Dutch paying for this ad ??? or is this just tongue in cheek?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Old satin sheets are a good thing to practice on before you start your project. Satin is slippery, old satin sheets are cheap at yard sales, Salvation Army, maybe local CraigsList or other thrift stores. I use the old heavy weight sheets to make patterns with and practice, however, if you are new to thread injecting, slippery fabric will help you learn the techniques you need for success.

When I started thead injecting after a long absence I designed the project out of paper cutouts then glued them together, the process really helped when I started thread injecting. Stake Bag, Stuff Sacks are excellent first project. A basic tarp is also good, however all the fabric is a bit of a challenge. Goofing up a stuff sack is not much of a big deal, messing up a tarp is upsetting and wasteful.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads

The 7 yards at a time makes sense. If I have I understand it correctly, you could make 2 hammocks plus have enough for matching stuff sacks. My thought is to go with 7 yards of 4 different fabrics plus some of the noseeum for some of the ideas I have (tax return time). Also, I am not sure how much a bolt is, but I think my wife would say no, it sounds like a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    that's about what I do. i wish i could afford to buy a bolt at a time, i would have gone through about half of it by now. i would recommend figuring out what you want to make and order an extra 7 yards on top of that if you are able to afford it. one thing that i always recommend to first time DIYers is to start small and work up from there. don't try to bite off more than you can chew, it gets expensive and frustrating that way. start out by learning how to properly set your machine and sew a relatively straight stich. measure and plan and above all be PATIENT, its not something you get good at right away. have fun with it and post pics of the projects
    The patience thing is what I have been worried about, when I started making DIY stoves it was a bit frustrating and I was only screwing up a tin can. I have 3 unique ideas for hammocks I have never seen before I want to try and I want to make my own hammock for my Long Trail hiking this year. As for setting up the machine, I have a good friend who owns a dry cleaner and he went through the whole thing and made sure it was in working order. He promised me a lesson or 2. Again, discussion of a bolt - sounds like I would need a "sewing room" - all I have is a table topper - thanks for the response, it helped.

Quote Originally Posted by ezhiker View Post
    Hey Rob is Dutch paying for this ad ??? or is this just tongue in cheek?
    Thanks for helping...or did you?

Old satin sheets are a good thing to practice on before you start your project. Satin is slippery, old satin sheets are cheap at yard sales, Salvation Army, maybe local CraigsList or other thrift stores. I use the old heavy weight sheets to make patterns with and practice, however, if you are new to thread injecting, slippery fabric will help you learn the techniques you need for success.

When I started thead injecting after a long absence I designed the project out of paper cutouts then glued them together, the process really helped when I started thread injecting. Stake Bag, Stuff Sacks are excellent first project. A basic tarp is also good, however all the fabric is a bit of a challenge. Goofing up a stuff sack is not much of a big deal, messing up a tarp is upsetting and wasteful.
    I have never read or heard of the satin sheet advice, I will have to see if any are available locally. I was going to start on some old regular sheets my wife had in the linen closet that she said I could practice on. I wasn't planning on going down the tarp fabric road, however the soil-nylon with a poly coating looks interesting and like a good solution. I want to try and make a stuff sack for my new cook kit that is centered around a 650ML Titanium Toaks pot, it is so tiny.

Could you elaborate on the paper cutouts? I am not sure I understand. Did you glue, then sew them? or just glue so you could get the sizes of fabric pieces right?

Hammock
    DIY w/Knotty mod
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY; UGQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    I use carpenters paper for my patterns and tape the pieces together if I need anything wider than the 36" that the rolls come in.

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    WL big daddy
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    ucr's
    I think it depends on what type of projects you intend to do. For example If you know your going to eventually want to make a gathered end or 2, order enough material for 3. And then an xtra yard or 2 for stuff sacks and misc projects. When I started I dove right in and made a 1.9 sl gathered end per xtrekkers YouTube vids and I still loan it out to friends now. I just practiced a few hems on a small cut piece and then went for it. If your machine is in good working order and you go slow at first it will take no time at all to get the hang of it. What I tell myself is dutch has such decent prices on his products and his shipping (not too mention the lightning fast shipping times) that if I have to order multiple times it's not too big of deal. Go for it and enjoy! You won't be sorry!

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootin2ool View Post
    I use carpenters paper for my patterns and tape the pieces together if I need anything wider than the 36" that the rolls come in.
    And this is to get the fabric cut and positioned correctly? I am assuming you simply disassemble the template and trace it our on the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by sadrian View Post
    I think it depends on what type of projects you intend to do. For example If you know your going to eventually want to make a gathered end or 2, order enough material for 3. And then an xtra yard or 2 for stuff sacks and misc projects. When I started I dove right in and made a 1.9 sl gathered end per xtrekkers YouTube vids and I still loan it out to friends now. I just practiced a few hems on a small cut piece and then went for it. If your machine is in good working order and you go slow at first it will take no time at all to get the hang of it. What I tell myself is dutch has such decent prices on his products and his shipping (not too mention the lightning fast shipping times) that if I have to order multiple times it's not too big of deal. Go for it and enjoy! You won't be sorry!
    I know I want to build 3 hammocks, 2 based on ideas floating in my head. I would want matching stuff sacks as well for them. Other than that I am sure it will just grow from there. As an example when I started making alcohol stoves I had the 2 I had purchased, now I have a basement with about 100 built and enough materials to build another 100...why? Your guess is as good as mine. Thanks for the thoughts, they are helpful. - Rob

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    WL big daddy
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    ucr's
    Don't feel bad I do the same thing! Haha . Start with a pattern from the forum or something for your first go, then work from there. I've got exact measurements for the 11 ft gathered end that I make if you want those. And I can send you pics of how I whip the ends if you want too. just shoot me a pm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast