10ft Dutch Nylon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Warbonnet Superfly owners... I NEED HELP going from the mail to the woods!

Hey guys (and gals). I've researched this forum pretty extensively and came to the conclusion that I want to get a warbonnet superfly tarp. I want an option I can use here in the Metro Detroit area all year round. I'm extremely new to hammock camping (never done it before) but i'm not the type of guy that buys cheap and then eventually over time get the good stuff. I like to learn from people and get the good stuff and be satisfied with that for some time.

I realize that buying a Superfly will still need a little work before I can take it to the woods. I will need to purchase a sealant for the inside pullouts such as Sil-Net and I will also need a ridge line and tie-out cords.

Here's where I need your assistance. 3 Questions.
    Q- What type of rope (Amsteel, Zing It, Lash It, ect..) do you find to be the best option for you when setting up your Superfly? (Ridgeline and tie-outs)
    Q- What methods of securing tie-outs do you prefer? (Simple hand knots, Stingerz, Dutch-Clips, ect.)
    Q- What lengths do you have your ropes? (I will more than likely use porch mode more often)

I appreciate your time, opinions and feedback. Someone disciple me in the ways of the hang.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Single Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I slept under my superfly for 5 months straight last year, and it's a really nice tarp. I started with Brandon's recommendations over at Warbonnet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHuUmNOwBAw but have used dutch clips as well. Andrew Skurka's method allows you to get the tarp closer to the ground: http://andrewskurka.com/2012/tarp-guyline-system/

Q1: I used lash-it/zing-it for all of the tieouts and the ridgeline for a while, but just recently switched to a 2mm line from lawsonequipment for the ridgeline because it ties/unties knots much better and I recently switched to a continuous ridgeline with no hardware so I can get the V shape tarp ridgeline that doesn't interfere with hammock swing. Saw it on the ultimatehang: http://theultimatehang.com/2012/05/r...k-no-hardware/

Q2: I just switched from brandon's no knot no hardware method to prusiks attached to the tieouts with a fixed loop on the end of the line for the stake. I can then pull the prusik from under the tarp to adjust/set it up out of the rain. It all works, just depends on what you feel like messing with.

Q3: Brandon's suggested lengths have been more than enough for me, but depending on how much you're counting ounces you could always make them a foot or two longer. His divisions work out to be exactly 100ft which is nice.

It'll all work. Have fun!
    Keep on keepin' on.

Hammock
    10ft Dutch Nylon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    @nickoli First off, thanks for your time in giving me such info. I've never seen a CRL in action but from what I see from videos, they seem to just make sense. Not sure why everyone doesn't use that method. Lawsonequipment sure does offer low prices. I'm more than likely gonna purchase through them as well. Thanks again for the insight.
    Pewdiddy

"It's not stupid until you try it."

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I did everything per warbonnet's suggestions when I first got mine. The number one thing I would say to change is to get rid of the side pull out line and go with the pole mod. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-pole-tarp-mod
    The dutch wasps and tato connectors are all things you can get later if you find you don't like prussiks. I bought the stakes from warbonnet and I use the simple pull over to connect my tarp to the stakes. in 99% of the weather I have been in they work just fine.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Here are a few videos that may help you out a bit. Good luck, the SF is a terrific tarp!

- Rob

Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Pewdiddy View Post
    Hey guys (and gals). I've researched this forum pretty extensively and came to the conclusion that I want to get a warbonnet superfly tarp. I want an option I can use here in the Metro Detroit area all year round. I'm extremely new to hammock camping (never done it before) but i'm not the type of guy that buys cheap and then eventually over time get the good stuff. I like to learn from people and get the good stuff and be satisfied with that for some time.

I realize that buying a Superfly will still need a little work before I can take it to the woods. I will need to purchase a sealant for the inside pullouts such as Sil-Net and I will also need a ridge line and tie-out cords.

Here's where I need your assistance. 3 Questions.
    Q- What type of rope (Amsteel, Zing It, Lash It, ect..) do you find to be the best option for you when setting up your Superfly? (Ridgeline and tie-outs)
    Q- What methods of securing tie-outs do you prefer? (Simple hand knots, Stingerz, Dutch-Clips, ect.)
    Q- What lengths do you have your ropes? (I will more than likely use porch mode more often)

I appreciate your time, opinions and feedback. Someone disciple me in the ways of the hang.

I used the ideas that Rob posted in his "how to rig a superfly with Dutch bling" video and have been really happy with the speed and ease of setting up the Super Fly.

I used Zing-it for both the ridgeline and tie-outs. I put Dutch Tarp Flyz on each of the ridgeline lengths, and Dutch Fleaz on the tie-outs attached with a loop of shock cord. The length of Zing-it for the tie-outs is tied to my stakes and stays with them.

I just need to get some snake skins, and think my set-up will be complete.

Have fun experimenting!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pewdiddy View Post
    @nickoli First off, thanks for your time in giving me such info. I've never seen a CRL in action but from what I see from videos, they seem to just make sense. Not sure why everyone doesn't use that method. Lawsonequipment sure does offer low prices. I'm more than likely gonna purchase through them as well. Thanks again for the insight.
    I used a CRL previously and ended up loathing (not too harsh a word) the additional line that I found a bear to pack. With dutch hardware, having two separate lines is really pretty easy when it comes to adjustments.

Oh, and I get a V now, too, whereas before I did not with the CRL I was using. That V thing is a little overrated IMO. That probably because I like to hang my tarp as high as possible - partially to avoid the hammock swing, but mostly to keep my greasy head off the bottom of the tarp. And I'm in porch mode most all the time, too, so I typically come off one side of the tree with the hammock allowing a steep drop on one side of the tarp that does not interfere with the swing of the hammock.

I was using zing-it before on the ridgeline, switched to lash-it for gray color to better match the brown stealth of my tarp. Previously used no hardware zing it tie outs - which has worked very well, though the prussiks were getting a little tough to move with age. Now using Lawson Glo with worms.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DN, Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    ProFly/SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ JarBridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I used a CRL previously and ended up loathing (not too harsh a word) the additional line that I found a bear to pack.
    This was my experience originally, and I moved away from a CRL. Once I started using mesh skins on my tarp, the little cord pockets on the end of the sleeves negated this issue for me and I moved back to a CRL with dutch hook and tarp fly.
    All those hours exploring the great outdoors made me more resilient and confident

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I use stingerz for the tarp and I'm changing my tie out method after seeing 12trysomethings video. I like the idea of the Fleas and bungee.
    Deffinately do some seam sealing on those pull outs. I just gave mine a coating over the weekend. Heading down to Florida I didn't want to take any chances with those Florida massive downpours.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I will be out with my new Super fly this weekend.
    I use Dutch Stingerz's with zing-it for RL and and orange Lawson glow wire with Dutch tarpworms on tie outs.
    I'm not sure of the post that had the info in it on using the Permatex windshield sealer on the pull outs but it did a great job on mine.
    I also use the Dutch pole mod for the pull outs as well.
    Enjoy and have fun with it.
    " BEING A BOY SCOUT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU DO....IT'S SOMEONE YOU ARE" Miss Lisa troop 24

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast