Infinity, Netty's, Dutch NylonD,
    Tarp
    Superfly, M. Wild.
    Insulation
    Kelty 15/ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Ridegelines - Question about the Sag.

So I am still getting used to setting up my ideal sag. I have a 10' 6" gathered end hammock and I installed a adjustable ridgeline from Dutch. Now I am posting this here more to affirm or deny what I believe to think after scouring the site for information and trying it all out in the field. So I know that the ridgeline is there to make it easier to have a common sag each time but what I think I am missing is what does changing the sag do to the lay. Right now I set it at the 83% and it lays decent I can get pretty comfortable laying asym. But if I shorten that would it make it a little longer on the asym, and if I lengthen it would it cut out some of the asym lay. At 83% there is some pushing on my outer calf what can help that, also there seems to be a lot of fabric on the edges flopping in the wind. Anyways just trying to verify if I am getting this thought out or not. A couple last details, the hammock is an infinity outfitters hammocks double, and I am 6'1". Thanks for the help!

(I do have a 11' Netty with a ordinary right lay on the way, hoping to have this figured by the time it arrives so I can set it up right!)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, M. Wild.
    Insulation
    Kelty 15/ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lots of views, not so many responses. Come on guys looking for your wisdom here. Thanks!

I may be mistaken (if so someone can correct me) but as far as I am aware the 83.333% ridge line length was more about maintaining the 30 degree hang angle. The fact that it is comfortable for most is more or less coincidence and not a hard fast rule.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skycarpMN View Post
    So I am still getting used to setting up my ideal sag. I have a 10' 6" gathered end hammock and I installed a adjustable ridgeline from Dutch. Now I am posting this here more to affirm or deny what I believe to think after scouring the site for information and trying it all out in the field. So I know that the ridgeline is there to make it easier to have a common sag each time but what I think I am missing is what does changing the sag do to the lay. Right now I set it at the 83% and it lays decent I can get pretty comfortable laying asym. But if I shorten that would it make it a little longer on the asym, and if I lengthen it would it cut out some of the asym lay. At 83% there is some pushing on my outer calf what can help that, also there seems to be a lot of fabric on the edges flopping in the wind. Anyways just trying to verify if I am getting this thought out or not. A couple last details, the hammock is an infinity outfitters hammocks double, and I am 6'1". Thanks for the help!

(I do have a 11' Netty with a ordinary right lay on the way, hoping to have this figured by the time it arrives so I can set it up right!)

By "asym" I assume you mean "laying on the diagonal." There's a lot of terms that get flung around, and its easy to get them mixed up.

You're essentially correct about how an adjustable ridgeline works. Best advice that can be given is get it to ~83% then "Fiddle with it a little." until you get it where it feels good when you lay in it, then leave it there. The primary purpose of a ridgeline is to give you a consistent lay every time and everywhere you set your hammock up.

Calf ridges and floppy material are part of hammocking. There have been attempts to cut the fabric in such a manner that the floppy material effect is reduced, and there is at least one cottage vendor who sells one, but most folks just accept it as a small negative in a world of abounding positives. I'm in that camp.

I'm 6'-0" and what solved the calf ridge problem for me was going with a 12' (144") long hammock that's at least 60" wide. The best lay I've had was in a 1.1 nylon hammock 144" long and 67" wide, but I just made one out of Hyper D that's 60" wide and so far I'm liking it. I made another that was 54" long and had some issues with foot pressure. I made my own, but just about any of the cottage vendors will do custom work.

Alternatively, you can sleep in the "figure 4" position where one leg is extended and the other is bent at the knee. I've done this in an ENO Double Nest and it worked OK. The calf ridge only seemed to bother me while I was awake, and I never woke up because of it. YMMV, however.

83 percent is a good starting point but may not be where you end up. It's all about how it feels to you. On my 11-footer my ridgeline is a bit more than the 83 percent figure because that's what felt best. I think it gave me the best compromise between calf ridge and floppy sides. The calf ridge, in my opinion, is greatly affected by where you put your butt no matter what the ridgeline length. For a head left, feet right position (for instance) leave the ridgeline set and try sliding your butt WAY over to the left and then WAY over to the right and see what that does to the calf ridge. Then maybe adjust the ridgeline one way or the other, and go through the same experiment. Eventually you'll find some combination of ridgeline length and lying down angle that gives you the best overall feel.

Then, of course, there's a whole host of other variables to play with: suspension angle, height of foot vs head end, type of fabric, type of gathering technique on the ends....

;-)
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Great advice above by sidneyhornblower!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by skycarpMN View Post

How do you have your hammock gathered? I think the floppy fabric is more due to how you gathered the ends.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, M. Wild.
    Insulation
    Kelty 15/ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    How do you have your hammock gathered? I think the floppy fabric is more due to how you gathered the ends.
    The Infinities come with a channel end and dog bones through it. I did xtrekkers video where I put a zip tie through the channel and then tied the dog bone around the inside of than ran the other end through the channeled zip tie.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, M. Wild.
    Insulation
    Kelty 15/ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    By "asym" I assume you mean "laying on the diagonal." There's a lot of terms that get flung around, and its easy to get them mixed up.

You're essentially correct about how an adjustable ridgeline works. Best advice that can be given is get it to ~83% then "Fiddle with it a little." until you get it where it feels good when you lay in it, then leave it there. The primary purpose of a ridgeline is to give you a consistent lay every time and everywhere you set your hammock up.

Calf ridges and floppy material are part of hammocking. There have been attempts to cut the fabric in such a manner that the floppy material effect is reduced, and there is at least one cottage vendor who sells one, but most folks just accept it as a small negative in a world of abounding positives. I'm in that camp.

I'm 6'-0" and what solved the calf ridge problem for me was going with a 12' (144") long hammock that's at least 60" wide. The best lay I've had was in a 1.1 nylon hammock 144" long and 67" wide, but I just made one out of Hyper D that's 60" wide and so far I'm liking it. I made another that was 54" long and had some issues with foot pressure. I made my own, but just about any of the cottage vendors will do custom work.

Alternatively, you can sleep in the "figure 4" position where one leg is extended and the other is bent at the knee. I've done this in an ENO Double Nest and it worked OK. The calf ridge only seemed to bother me while I was awake, and I never woke up because of it. YMMV, however.
    I don't mind the floppy material too much, just wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or not. I did do the figure four and I was very comfortable just wasn't sure if their was something else I was missing. I might have to try that longer hammock, I guess I was assuming that 11 ft was about the largest people were doing since all the vendors reference 10 and 11 ft models. I was wondering if the knotty mod would help with the flopping some. Thank you for your insight it is very much appreciated!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, M. Wild.
    Insulation
    Kelty 15/ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    83 percent is a good starting point but may not be where you end up. It's all about how it feels to you. On my 11-footer my ridgeline is a bit more than the 83 percent figure because that's what felt best. I think it gave me the best compromise between calf ridge and floppy sides. The calf ridge, in my opinion, is greatly affected by where you put your butt no matter what the ridgeline length. For a head left, feet right position (for instance) leave the ridgeline set and try sliding your butt WAY over to the left and then WAY over to the right and see what that does to the calf ridge. Then maybe adjust the ridgeline one way or the other, and go through the same experiment. Eventually you'll find some combination of ridgeline length and lying down angle that gives you the best overall feel.

Then, of course, there's a whole host of other variables to play with: suspension angle, height of foot vs head end, type of fabric, type of gathering technique on the ends....

;-)
    Thanks for the reply. I will definitely try some of your suggestions I don't believe I tried to get way over on either side, I think I was just playing with my angles in the hammock. I do believe the next hammock I try to make will do a gathered end instead of a channeled end to see if that helps any. I tell you what though I am having a ton of fun trying to figure all of this out and can't wait to get to the woods!

• + New Posts