Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Kevlar

JRB Hudson Riber as UQ in a BIAS WW?

Hey guys!

So I'm taking a couple back-to-back high elevation (for Japan) backpacking trips at the end of the month... so I need to get gear FAST. (I need to have everything I want ordered by Friday).

JRB has gear in stock so I'm looking at them! One thing I'm looking at is using the Hudson River as an Underquilt for my new Weight Weenie hammock (which is already ordered.) I notice the JRB website lists it as designed as an UQ for their bridge-style hammock. Does anyone know if/how well it'd work as an UQ for a gathered-end style, or would i be better off springing for the Mt. Washington? The HR is lighter by 4oz than the MW3 and is a bit cheaper.

-- Upon reasearching this a little more with some different search queries... It looks like yes, it'll work just fine as an UQ! Anyone's experience would still be appreciated.
    Last edited by JacobAllison; 03-09-2015 at 21:19.

Look at SHUGEMERY channel on Youtube. He has a video titled 'Underquilts Revisited". He shows installing a Hudson River as an underquilt on a Warbonnet Blackbird. I'd post the link, but I don't know how. I have not personally used the Hudson River as an underquilt, but it looks like it fits that gathered-end hammock well.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Works great on a gathered end hammock. I use my HR as a TQ mainly but it goes both ways.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, HudsonR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I purchased a Hudson River as my first underquilt a month or so ago. One thing to note is that it doesn't come with a suspension, but JRB offers one as an accessory. The suspension is very basic--just two pieces of shock cord, each with a mini biner on each end. But I got good results with just a little tinkering. I'm now using a Hammock Gear Incubator us my underquilt with the Hudson River as a top quilt, and I really like this setup a lot. At some point I'll put the H.R. underneath another family member's quilt, and when I do, I might modify the suspension to use cordlocks at each corner, making it easier to fine tune.

Good luck with your trip!

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Kevlar
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
    I purchased a Hudson River as my first underquilt a month or so ago. One thing to note is that it doesn't come with a suspension, but JRB offers one as an accessory. The suspension is very basic--just two pieces of shock cord, each with a mini biner on each end. But I got good results with just a little tinkering. I'm now using a Hammock Gear Incubator us my underquilt with the Hudson River as a top quilt, and I really like this setup a lot. At some point I'll put the H.R. underneath another family member's quilt, and when I do, I might modify the suspension to use cordlocks at each corner, making it easier to fine tune.

Good luck with your trip!
    Pulled the trigger on it and spent the day watching Shug's videos! Do you have any suggestions for the HR as an UQ besides the cordlocks?

• + New Posts