TX > New Waverly>4th Annual Texas Butt Bake>July 30-Aug 2 2015

Offered up

your approval

An event that will burn

ever in your memory

One that will show how Texans deal with the

est

One which I will describe

thwith as soon as I run out of available font sizes!

One that will display all of the bravery and

titude of Texans!

Wait

it!

Yes, its the

4th ANNUAL TEXAS BUTT BAKE!

Yes, legendary in its scope, legendary in its grandeur, legendary in the mind of the organizer! An event that commemorates pointless machismo with useless pain and suffering! One that shows them Yankees with their frost bibs and down underwear what dealing with the elements is REALLY about: Buckets and buckets of sweat, toil, and tears. an idea so bad, you just have to do it.

And YOU can be part of it. All you need to do is lose a few more brain cells. Practice for the event by sitting on the toilet seat while you run the shower with the bathroom door closed!

The event will follow the usual pattern, so prepare your alibis and pay your lawyers a retainer before hand and put them on speed dial. Friday night will be the big pot luck at Parking Lot #8. Saturday will involve a hike.

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/LSHTparking.pdf

I have reserved Niederhoffer Lake for the weekend. The reservation is for 20 people at the lake, but there's some good campsites just up the trail from the lake that folks can stay at and still be close enough to enjoy the fellowship while still following the Forest Service rules for use of the site.

The downside to this is that the hike to Niederhoffer is 4.2 miles and has some elevation changes not normally encountered on the LSHT. It should not be attempted by persons who are out of shape---and I mean that. We hiked the route a couple of weeks ago. There's only one water source on the trip and it can be unreliable, so you'll not only be hiking that distance, but you'll have to carry enough water to make sure you stay adequately hydrated. There is limited parking at Neiderhoffer, so shuttling is not a good choice for overcoming this obstacle.

So what we're going to have to do is adhere to a strict schedule for the Saturday hike, and perhaps have some alternatives for those who cannot or should not hike the distance to Niederhoffer.

The hike to Neiderhoffer will embark at 0900 on Saturday morning. Anyone still in their hammocks or otherwise unready to head out should consider either staying at parking Lot #8, or heading over to Hidden Lake. (If someone who knows the route is willing to volunteer to guide the way). My name is on the permit for Neiderhoffer, so I have to be there if the Forest Service shows up.

Please note that both the trail to Hidden Lake and the one to Niederhoffer are on "unofficial" routes that are not marked (in the case of Hidden Lake) or poorly marked (in the case of Niederhoffer.

We will do a "supply run" to Niederhoffer on Friday evening. If you plan on going to Neiderhoffer and don't want to carry food and water for Saturday night and Sunday morning, we'll carry it over there and stash it securely (I'll need volunteers for this function---also need a volunteer to truck trash out on Sunday morning).

Let us know the following when you respond to this thread:

1. Preferred Saturday night camping area: A) Niederhoffer Lake, B) the Ghetto behind the lake, C) Hidden Lake, D) Parking Lot 8

2. If you think you might take advantage of the "supply run" to Neiderhoffer to have some of your stuff cached and waiting for you.

3. When you will arrive (if you know it and can guarantee it this far in advance)

4. What you would be able to volunteer for: A) Friday Night Supply Run to Neiderhoffer (and return to PL8 to sleep), B) Trucking trash out Sunday morning, C) Guide to Hidden Lake, D) Coordinating with Campwalker for the tee shirts and delivering them to the event.

5. Any camp supplies that you can make available to all including stuff like portable potties, tables, stoves, etc.

Baby Huey any I are in. Saturday night at Neiderhoffer Lake, Not sure about "supply run" yet. We may be able to get there Thursday, but won't know till it gets closer. We should be able to help with some trash on Sunday and I can help where it is needed for the tee shirts. I have tables and stoves, and potty but not hiking with them just for Friday night.
    Last edited by Mrs. Baby Huey; 03-09-2015 at 17:57.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Yes, legendary in its scope, legendary in its grandeur, legendary in the mind of the organizer! An event that commemorates pointless machismo with useless pain and suffering! One that shows them Yankees with their frost bibs and down underwear what dealing with the elements is REALLY about: Buckets and buckets of sweat, toil, and tears. an idea so bad, you just have to do it.

Let us know the following when you respond to this thread:

1. Preferred Saturday night camping area...

2. If you think you might take advantage of the "supply run" to Neiderhoffer...

3. When you will arrive (if you know it and can guarantee it this far in advance)

4. What you would be able to volunteer for...

5. Any camp supplies that you can make available…
    You had me at the first "legendary". As far as I can tell, I'm in again.

1. Not certain as to Saturday night location. It will be dependent on my Sunday morning commitments so I may be at Lot 8, Niederhoffer Lake, or Casa de Uncle Mike.

2. If at the lake, I may cache some gear.

3. I'll be out there Thursday for sure.

4. I don't mind doing a Friday night run with gear to help shuttle.

5. I will bring some shade and the kitchen for Friday night's dinner. Details TBD.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Neiderhoffer for me and Faith and I am in for thursday.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Also I will do shuttle duty since I know where things are.
    List of Splicing Guides

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    OK, I'm in, however can't say exactly when I'll be there, but it will be on Friday. Probably hike to Niederhofer, but might just stay @ PKG Lot 8 for Saturday night, and am willing to offer up tables, paper plates and plastic cups for the food. Also plastic forks, knives and spoons. One thing though, according to the LSHT map, I don't see a road to get down to Niderhofer unless it's that railroad track looking trace. If so, I'm willing to offer a real shuttle in the way of actually bringing folks to the lake, turning around and going back and getting others who may want to be there, but don't want to hike in.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DIY ACU Camo
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 ACU Camo
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    I'm in put me down for 2 spots by Neiderhoffer lake please be there Thursday early Can bring Coleman lantern & stove if we need them possiably a canoe for paddling around the lake
    Last edited by wanderlust; 03-09-2015 at 20:54.
    In life you never know how much something cost's, till it's time to pay for it.
    And the best things are free.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    I'm in put me down for 2 spots by Neiderhoffer lake please be there Thursday early Can bring Coleman lantern & stove if we need them possiably a canoe for paddling around the lake
    From my understanding hiking in a canoe or anything else that heavy is futile. This is a 4.2 mile hike that is trying with just a pack. Sarge correct me if I am wrong.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Baby Huey View Post
    From my understanding hiking in a canoe or anything else that heavy is futile. This is a 4.2 mile hike that is trying with just a pack. Sarge correct me if I am wrong.
    I am going to truck my kayaks into neiderhoffer, easy peasy
    List of Splicing Guides

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
    OK, I'm in, however can't say exactly when I'll be there, but it will be on Friday. Probably hike to Niederhofer, but might just stay @ PKG Lot 8 for Saturday night, and am willing to offer up tables, paper plates and plastic cups for the food. Also plastic forks, knives and spoons. One thing though, according to the LSHT map, I don't see a road to get down to Niderhofer unless it's that railroad track looking trace. If so, I'm willing to offer a real shuttle in the way of actually bringing folks to the lake, turning around and going back and getting others who may want to be there, but don't want to hike in.
    There's a road that comes off of FS200 that goes to Niederhoffer. There's a low water crossing about a half mile in that argues against sedans, but its really not a bad road. Pick ups won't be a problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Baby Huey View Post
    Canoes can be taken into Neiderhoffer, but not Hidden Lake. Niederhoffer is spring fed so there can be swimming for those brave enough to try. There's a small pier near the parking area.

Here's the thing guys:

A lot of vehicles down there could be a problem. Parking takes up a lot of available space. We went there for a Wilderness Ministry trip a few weeks ago. I almost didn't want to do the Butt Bake down there, for a couple of reasons:

1. The parking thing.

2. The hike.

3. The permit is to allow vehicles into an area where vehicles are normally prohibited. A whole lot of vehicles will attract a whole lot of attention, and we noticed at the Ministry trip we took a couple weeks ago that there are some locals that take an interest into the comings and goings at the lake (and who apparently know the combination to the lock). I would rather them see five or six vehicles and assume 20 people and not be so alarmed that they'd call the Forest Service than see 20 vehicles and assume 80 people are hanging out and give them a call to come give us the hairy eyeball.

I almost called this thing off and go with the traditional hike to Hidden lake. We traversed the route on the last Wilderness Ministry hike and I asked the guys what they thought about people doing it in August. There were several recommendations from some folks who's opinions I respect that we not ask people to make that hike in that kind of weather. In the end, I knew there are a lot of people who look forward to this thing every year and Niederhoffer is a great place, so I decided to do it there but make sure that everybody was aware of the physical effort it will take in the most dangerous hiking weather that Texas has to offer. A lot of us are out of shape, and this is August in Texas. If you were at the last Butt Bake and hiked out to Hidden Lake and then felt tired, worn, or spent----that's how you will feel half way through the hike to Niederhoffer. But I already had the site reserved and I couldn't (and wouldn't) pick 19 other people for this thing and tell them not to tell anybody else about it, then go out and have a good time, so I'm just going to put it out there with all these caveats and warnings, and together we can work something out where nobody gets hurt.

The Butt Bake has usually been about Friday night anyway, its where we have the best and safest time.

Careful planning can overcome a lot of hurdles, but the main thing is to gauge interest and participation levels before going full bore. I do want to make it so that camping at Neiderhoffer is as primitive as regular off trail stealth camping is, rather than a thing where we go car camping in a different place on Saturday night.

There is ample room for 6-10 hammocks right by the parking are, 20 in the immediate vicinity is possible, just as many spots on the other side of t5he lake and on the old road behind (north of) the lake, there's about a kajillion places to hang and easy access to the lake.

Last year (when I thought I could get it and didn't), I made space available at the lake for the first 20 who chimed in. Now, having seen the site and traversed the route, I'm going to wait and see how many folks are willing to make the 4.2 mile, 2 1/2 hour hike over a couple of hills and into a couple of creek beds in 90 degree weather to get there. Then we'll see where we are and go from there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast