Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12'
    Insulation
    Handmade UQ
    Suspension
    Spyderline-Based
    Images

Lightbulb How-To: Karl's Stand

I admire stands like TurtleLady's, the TurtleDog, Speer's, 2x4 PHS, dejoha's, and HandyHammock's. Here's a new kind of stand made from a different kind of gate hinge.

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-46.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-53.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-47.jpg

First: Make Two Brackets like this.

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-18.jpg
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-3.jpg With the frame hinges removed, you can see inside. Notice how the nuts & washers will be arranged.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-1.jpg Parts for One Bracket.

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-2.jpg Threadlock a nut TIGHTLY to the base of the Eyebolt.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-4.jpg Add two 3/8" washers. Apply threadlock for next nut.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-5.jpg Tighten 3/8" nut.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-6.jpg Apply threadlock for next nut.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-7.jpg Add Hinge.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-8.jpg Screw nut on. I want the hinge to be really tight, so they don't rotate freely. So: make sure the nut is slightly recessed (nearly flush) with the hinge.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-9.jpg Add two 3/8" washers.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-10.jpg Apply threadlock for next nut.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-11.jpg Tighten nut TIGHTLY.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-13.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-12.jpg Attach second hinge the same way, positioning it 120 degrees from the first.

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-15.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-16.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-17.jpg Attach last hinge the same way, positioning it 120 degrees between first & second.

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-18.jpgKarls-HammockStand-Instructions-18.jpg One bracket is finished. Do the second the same way.

Prep the upright 2x2's (instructions for one stand).

Why Premium Pine 2x2's? —*Under compression loads, the cheap "knotty" 2x2's have snapped on me before. (Nobody was hurt, it was a different project). The snap originated from a knot, and across. I'm not a lumber expert —*but Premium Pine 2x2's have denser, tighter grain and no knots. Oak might be better still.

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-52.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-51.jpg Cut 3 2x2's to 7–Feet at an 18 degree angle.

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-19.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-20.jpg On the OTHER end, mark and drill holes to line–up with the center of each hinge. (TIP: Before marking/drilling, make sure you are marking a face of the 2x2 that has the beautiful angle you cut earlier. (Just drill in this step, bolts come later)

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-29.jpg Find the INSIDE face of each 2x2 (if you cut the angle, it's the shorter face). Drill holes for eye hooks. About 32" from the bottom. Attach the eye hooks.

Bolt 2x2's to Brackets

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-21.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-22.jpg I need to widen each hinge so the 2x2 can slide in. I use bolts & screws to do this. I also had success putting Channel–Lock pliers inside the hinge as leverage to pry-open the hinge.

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-53.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-19.jpg TIP: Because the 2x2 holes are drilled to line–up with specific hinges, make sure to match the right 2x2 with the right hinge.

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-23.jpg Push & align the bracket with the 2x2's hole

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-24.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-25.jpg

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-26.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-27.jpg Tighten–in a 2-1/2" x 1/4" bolt & washer. I let the bolt thread into the wood. Tightened it down. Finish with a washer, a nut, and some thread locker. Tighten everything down.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-28.jpg Repeat for other two legs. Repeat for other Stand.

Keep legs even with paracord

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-31.jpg Three 48" lengths of paracord worked for me. Bowline on one end.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-33.jpg A Prusik loop on the other end permits adjustments.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-34.jpg About 28" — 32" between each eye–hook works for me (and matches the 18 degree angle well enough).

Lash the horizontal 2x2
    Only one of these —*but do these steps on both ends.

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-35.jpg Drill a 1/4" hole 2-inches from each end of the 8–foot 2x2. I used the drill bit to "ream–out" the edges of the hole slightly.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-36.jpg About 60" of 3.8mm Spyderline works for me. I like how it (un)ties, and it's sheathing.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-37.jpg Overhand knot with about 6"–8" of bight. Pass ends through 2x2 hole.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-38.jpg Wrap rope ends around 2x2.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-39.jpg Overhand knot, tied against the 2x2. It's positioned close to the 2x2 so it can't slide–off the end of the wood.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-40.jpg Zeppelin bend.

Suspend horizontal 2x2 & hang hammock

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-41.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-42.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-43.jpg Pull the top (larger) loop through the Eye, back under the 2x2.

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-44.jpg Important & Easy: Make sure the top (larger) loop is placed towards the center of the 2x2 —*with the smaller (bottom) loop between it, and the 2x2's end. When I clip–into the lower loop, that'll lock the upper loop in place. It's a simple, and important step.
    Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-45.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-46.jpg Clip–in. All done.

Enjoy

Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-47.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-46.jpg Karls-HammockStand-Instructions-48.jpg
    Last edited by KarlE; 03-08-2015 at 21:34.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12'
    Insulation
    Handmade UQ
    Suspension
    Spyderline-Based
    Images

Lightbulb How-To: Karl's Stand

Extra post to attach images for instructions.
    Last edited by KarlE; 03-08-2015 at 21:27.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12'
    Insulation
    Handmade UQ
    Suspension
    Spyderline-Based
    Images

How-To: Karl's Stand

Extra post to attach images for instructions.
    Last edited by KarlE; 03-08-2015 at 21:26.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12'
    Insulation
    Handmade UQ
    Suspension
    Spyderline-Based
    Images

How-To: Karl's Stand

Last post to attach images for instructions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Wow! Fantastic! What's the purpose of the horizontal 2x2"? It seems like the carabiners could attach directly to the inverted eye bolt on the brackets?

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This is great Karl. Awesome job!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by ufdigga View Post
    Wow! Fantastic! What's the purpose of the horizontal 2x2"? It seems like the carabiners could attach directly to the inverted eye bolt on the brackets?
    Without the ridgepole (horizontal 2x2") the tripods would be pulled over. The ridgepole takes this load in compression and is the key to this type of stand.

See these two threads for the design background...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...s-Bamboo-Stand

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...urtleDog-stand

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro Modded
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Very nice! I've got a buddy making me one now (while I work on an UQ for him!) using regular hinges. I've not seen this type bracket though. I like it...
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Std. HH Asym
    Insulation
    Living in FL./HHSS
    Suspension
    Stock HH - for now
    Terrific job, and very well explained. The only issue that I can see would be in the ridge pole not being long enough. How did you overcome the need for a 10+ foot ridge pole? Other than that though, as I said before, terrific job.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Very clever idea Karl! Looks to be a heavier hinge than the Turtledog, but the fact that it grips both sides of the upright 2x2s would add strength and durability, I would think.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast