Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    We are entering via Nym on the 17th...so maybe. We plan on looping down to Russell. We will be in for 9 days. You?

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I'll be going in September, starting at pickerel and going to Sturgeon.

Images
    My solo this year will head down to Sturgeon by way of Lonely then out the SW end of Sturgeon in to the Maligne and loop around into Poohbah. From there it depends on how my feet are doing. I would like to go south into Commee then Delahay. Then head out through Alice and up to the Bonhomme portage to the B Chain back to Pickerel. So I guess I will paddle around Russell also. I will be coming back to Nym about the same time you are. If you see someone in a little RapidFire say hi.
    Russell is a nice lake with some campsites with shore line that are made of large flat rocks. Sometimes you can paddle up the rapids into Russell. I have caught walleye near where the water runs out of Russell. You will probably see a lot of people on Russell. The campsite on the south side of Chatterton Falls is pretty but too close to the falls (everything will be wet in the morning). One of the camp sites straight out from the falls is better. There is also a nice camp site just north of the portage form Chatterton Lake part way out on the point.
    Come on SUMMER!
    Traverson
    What is your putin?

Quote Originally Posted by alanfriedman View Post
    Hello,
    My name is Alan; I live in Milwaukee, WI. I'm and avid canoe and kayak paddler. After my last trip to the Boundary Waters wilderness in Northern Minnesota, I bought a Hennessey Expedition Asym Zip. Except for stringing it up on my sun porch, I haven't used it. The Boundary Waters regs allow up to 9 people in a party but it can be hard to find a camp sight that can accommodate enough tents; that's why I bought a hammock. I also snore without my CPAP so a hammock is a way for me to avoid inflicting that on my fellow camper.
    There are 3 sources of adversity in the boundary waters: 1. black flies in the spring and mosquitoes in the summer; 2. Rain; and 3. wind. My concerns are that a hammock will be too confining during extended periods of rain or insect attacks. I suspect that the rain fly that comes with the Expedition is not going to be entirely adequate. If I get a larger rain fly, say a Hennessey Hex, and insulation to keep my back side warm, am I going to be saving weight and space over a regular tent. What are hammocks like in wind storms?
    Not sure if I'm ready to join the cult and drink the Kool-aid but am looking forward to fruitful discussions.
    Alan
    I was in the BWCA last year in July when they had the Derecho go through. Several people hurt and even a death further North. We woke up with trees down everywhere and even a small one down on a tent inches from the occupants head. We had three tents and I was the only hammocker. The tents held up very well considering the conditions, but the people inside were very scared and had a much different experience than me. Im not saying hammocks perform better in the wind/storms, but you can usually pick a better site that provides better protection. I used a superfly and it was a trooper along with a Darien UL with netting.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I will be the only hammocker in my group. Sill haven't decided between the Ridgerunner/Cloudburst or Blackbird/Superfly. I bet I have some converts by the time the trip is over.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12