Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/DIY PLTQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Mom of a brand new hanger in GA - I have questions! :)

My 14 year old son begged to take a backpacking/camping class at a local church. It's a 9-week class and I am so appreciative to those who lead it. They put in loads of personal time and effort and it really shows.

My son has said he wants to hang, and so here I am trying to learn! He has two local trips where we'll be car camping, then he'll be backpacking/hanging in Pine Mountain, GA next month.

Since we are trying to stock up on the most basic of necessities from the ground up (we pretty much had nothing going into this), we're kind of taking things as they are offered to us. He was gifted an ENO Singlenest, and although it wouldn't have been my first choice for him, it'll do to get started. I ordered a KAQ (underquilt) from AHE. He was also gifted a great Osprey Atmos 50 pack.

Suggestions for the following would be helpful!

1. Still looking for a top quilt or sleeping bag (something not heavy!) that could serve as one for a period of time.

2. I would love to get recommendations on a mosquito net and rainfly.

He has the ENO Atlas Straps so we need to learn how to string a ridgeline also? I have no idea how to tie knots. Sorry to be so green but I am really hoping to get help here!

We have maybe $300 remaining in the budget to purchase the topquilt, bug net, rainfly, and new shoes... can it be done?

Looking forward to the forums!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    With exceptionally minimal sewing skills, an effective net can me made. Search for "Fronkey bugnet" here on the forum. I even know someone that sewed one by hand.

A cheap sleeping bag will serve as a top quilt, but is will be a bit heavy & bulky. Again, a Climashield top quilt is as nearly easy to sew as the bugnet, but will require access to a sewing machine. It would be better than a cheap sleeping bag and be useful in the long run.

A silnylon tarp will be lightest and most packable for the buck. Make sure it has an 11' ridgeline to cover larger hammocks that he will probably acquire in the future.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Scotland!

First advice I would give you is to get your son on here to learn too! There's not much point in you learning everything and your son going out into the woods with no idea how to pitch a tarp or hang a hammock. Don't worry this site is about as family friendly as the www gets

Can you or anyone you know sew? Or even better teach your son to sew? That would allow you to have higher quality gear at a lower price, especially if you were to make a climashield top quilt. 3 yards of climashield 5.0 and 6 yards of lightweight nylon will make a top quilt and a pillow, check out Dutchwaregear.com and ripstopbytheroll.com. same goes for bug net and tarp. There are some great tutorials in the diy section (don't forget to check the stickies).

If you can't diy then you may struggle to get quality gear that is lightweight and within budget.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/DIY PLTQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Craige, oh yes, he and I are learning together. I'm the over-researcher of the family but he'll be the one doing the practical/physical stuff. I'll join him for the first couple of trips but look forward to him learning and loving hanging - I think he's going to get a lifetime of enjoyment from it. He's so excited about it!

I have a sewing mom, so I'm in luck! Even my son has some sewing skills. Thanks, I'll search for the bugnet and a Climashield quilt

use a cheap climatek walmart sleeping bag. They are small and with an underquilt they work great.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    I'm seeing a parent that will be enjoying their own hang in the near future! Good luck! ��

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Hi and welcome, it is great you are so supportive of this.
    If you haven't already, be sure to check out Shug's videos on youtube and Derek Hansen's book (3.99 kindle version) on amazon - Ultimate-Hang-Illustrated-Hammock-Camping. Those two will really get you both up to speed on the many available options.
    Make sure to check out dutchwaregear.com to help with the set up, especially if you/he is uncomfortable relying on knots. Dutch also sells a very reasonable bug net (...and hammock, and sock and stakes and filters and stoves and fabric and lights ).
    I can't recommend the book enough, especially if you are the researching type, it will give a good foundation of knowledge to build on. Derek also has a nice web site as well (theultimatehang.com).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Good mom! Good kid too! Glad to hear of someone that age interested in the outdoors instead of wasting life in front of the latest video game. Best of luck on your gear hunt and wishing you a lifetime of fond memories from hanging between two trees.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Also check out ripstopbytheroll.com for climashield and fabric. I've diy'd all of my gear from them and Dutch. The cub master in me has to suggest that if he likes camping then maybe he should check out the local Boy Scout troops.

The quilts are pretty easy to make. I used some of the guides from diygearsupply.com plus ideas from this great forum.

For the tarp check out the silpoly 2.0 from ripstopbytheroll.com

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Fronkey style bugnet $45 from Dutch, Hennessy Hex tarp About $70 on amazon, Top Quilt look for a 20* sleeping bag should be good for 3 seasons

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast