My 14 year old son begged to take a backpacking/camping class at a local church. It's a 9-week class and I am so appreciative to those who lead it. They put in loads of personal time and effort and it really shows.

My son has said he wants to hang, and so here I am trying to learn! He has two local trips where we'll be car camping, then he'll be backpacking/hanging in Pine Mountain, GA next month.

Since we are trying to stock up on the most basic of necessities from the ground up (we pretty much had nothing going into this), we're kind of taking things as they are offered to us. He was gifted an ENO Singlenest, and although it wouldn't have been my first choice for him, it'll do to get started. I ordered a KAQ (underquilt) from AHE. He was also gifted a great Osprey Atmos 50 pack.

Suggestions for the following would be helpful!

1. Still looking for a top quilt or sleeping bag (something not heavy!) that could serve as one for a period of time.

2. I would love to get recommendations on a mosquito net and rainfly.

He has the ENO Atlas Straps so we need to learn how to string a ridgeline also? I have no idea how to tie knots. Sorry to be so green but I am really hoping to get help here!

We have maybe $300 remaining in the budget to purchase the topquilt, bug net, rainfly, and new shoes... can it be done?

Looking forward to the forums!