ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/DIY PLTQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    +1 on the MOABs - good for 10+ miles a day, my son and I both wear the waterproof version. We also wear FoxRiver X-Static liner socks inside hiking socks - big help for hiking, no blisters and no foot funk. Blue poly tarps are really cheap, readily available, and heavy.
    I think the MOABs will be the birthday gift from the grandparents

Quote Originally Posted by Deadwood View Post
    Good for you and your son!!! Lots of sound advice here and appears your are your way to outfitting your son well. He will enjoy hiking and camping Pine Mountain. It's a great place to learn. Welcome to HF and keep up the good work.
    Thanks, Deadwood! He is so excited. Where in GA are you? We're right in the midstate.

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    I bought my 13 year old son the KAQ Jarbidge and it works well. We tried the Buginator, but he did not like that mode of entry. I cannot sew so we went with the Wilderness Logics bugnet and he really likes it. It's heavier than others, but it's almost 'bomb proof'. It has held up well to the robustness of the 13 year old. Another post mentioned the Prodigy quilt. That's what I bought my son. Tim used to offer the Prodigy-X which was lower cost due to the finish of the material and that's what I bought. Really nice quilt. Anything from Arrowhead will be quality as well. Since your in Georgia, if he will not be camping lower than 40F for a while, you might consider a Summer Series topquilt from Wilderness Logics.
    We went with the Jarbidge also. A lot of bang for the buck! Hope to receive it soonish. We've settled on the poncho liner modified as a topquilt with a footbox and a light sleeping bag liner. He will have a large microfiber towel that can be used as an additional layer and he has an emergency bivy for, well, an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Word of caution on using a sleeping bag as a TQ.

Its a good cost savings measure, but as soon as the zippper pokes a hole in the hammock, you'll be buying a new one.

If you're going to use the sleeping bag as a TQ, you might want to look at removing the zipper.
    Good to know! Hadn't thought of that. Now I know not to add zippers making the footbox for the poncho liner. I think we're going with snaps so it can still be used in its native form. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ccolclou View Post
    I have a Hennessey Hex tarp I'll sell you if you're interested - used on 1 trip, about 4 nights. I believe it is good as new - I scored a cuben fiber tarp on the forums here, so I can pass the old tarp on to someone who will use it! PM me if interested.
    ccolclou, PM sent!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20, KAQ 1, Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing / buckles
    Images
    Just up the road in Forsyth.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/DIY PLTQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwood View Post
    Just up the road in Forsyth.
    Ah yes. I'll wave next time we pass by on the way to Atlanta.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Wow! That's a great age to start out. Thank you for your interest in your son's walk in nature. As a dad of 3, I love my kids enthusiasm for the outdoors.

Now that your well on your way with equipment for your son, he will need to test the rig at home for several nights(in a row or individual nights not important) if not with the church class. He will need help to make sure the UQ is hanging correctly with no gaps while he is in it.

Also, until your funds grow enough for your gear, you can make your hammock inexpensively. I made my hammock from ripstop nylon from Walmart $1.50/yrd x 4 yrds. Or, you can get the material from ripstopbytheroll.com as well.

A simple gathered end hammock requires only a simple hemmed edge and gather the end. Use a thin cord like braided mason's line or other to whip the ends (holds the gather). The whipping is not weight bearing so it doesn't have to be expensive or strong. Later you can get a better hammock.

I still use my first hammock I made and love it. It has a channel end, but, its for gathering the end and not for the suspension(ENO-style).

Don't forget to watch Shug's channel on Youtube - Shugemery. Here is a link to his Youtube series called Hammock Hangin' How-to... essentials for noobs.

And take lots of pics and share with us.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I've been bringing my nephew for a couple of years now and it is still his favorite thing to do. That's a lot to say for a 12 yr. old. I started out using a 10*10 lightweight $10 dollar tarp and he has used it for quite a few trips. It was a hand me down when I upgraded. It works well enough till he can upgrade later. I also have used a $5 bug net from Calhoun's or some brand in all major sporting good stores. I strapped it to the ridgeline. I would by a decent top quilt & shoes (very important for a hike)and invest in the other things later if budget comes into play

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Buy some tyvek for use as a small groundsheet under the hammock. It's very cost-effective. I'd stick with synthetics for a while - a new 14yr old camper will drop a quilt on the wet ground. I've seen experienced 15yr old campers do it. The teenage brain has impulses that lead to such behavior. Synthetics are cheaper than down, more resilient (small tears don't let the magic smoke out) and still work somewhat when wet. For 3 season use in Georgia there won't be a huge weight and bulk penalty anyway.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Strongly recommend that you find a group hang and at least visit it for the day. Let the folks at the hang know that you are new to hanging and want to learn about the different hammocks, TQs, UQs, Tarps ect. They should be happy to show off their set ups and if you ask most will let you try out their hammocks. I find group hangs are a great place for new hangers and hanger wantabes to learn about hanging.

Just remember there is no one perfect hammock, TQ, UQ ect.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/DIY PLTQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Wow! That's a great age to start out. Thank you for your interest in your son's walk in nature. As a dad of 3, I love my kids enthusiasm for the outdoors.

Now that your well on your way with equipment for your son, he will need to test the rig at home for several nights(in a row or individual nights not important) if not with the church class. He will need help to make sure the UQ is hanging correctly with no gaps while he is in it.

Also, until your funds grow enough for your gear, you can make your hammock inexpensively. I made my hammock from ripstop nylon from Walmart $1.50/yrd x 4 yrds. Or, you can get the material from ripstopbytheroll.com as well.

A simple gathered end hammock requires only a simple hemmed edge and gather the end. Use a thin cord like braided mason's line or other to whip the ends (holds the gather). The whipping is not weight bearing so it doesn't have to be expensive or strong. Later you can get a better hammock.

I still use my first hammock I made and love it. It has a channel end, but, its for gathering the end and not for the suspension(ENO-style).

Don't forget to watch Shug's channel on Youtube - Shugemery. Here is a link to his Youtube series called Hammock Hangin' How-to... essentials for noobs.

And take lots of pics and share with us.
    We're really gettting there with the gear setup! He'll be hanging in the back yard and again with the church group several times before the weekend hike. Pics coming as soon as we receive the underquilt and the rainfly and he can get all set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Hanger View Post
    I've been bringing my nephew for a couple of years now and it is still his favorite thing to do. That's a lot to say for a 12 yr. old. I started out using a 10*10 lightweight $10 dollar tarp and he has used it for quite a few trips. It was a hand me down when I upgraded. It works well enough till he can upgrade later. I also have used a $5 bug net from Calhoun's or some brand in all major sporting good stores. I strapped it to the ridgeline. I would by a decent top quilt & shoes (very important for a hike)and invest in the other things later if budget comes into play
    Shoes will be this weekend I think. I appreciate the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    Buy some tyvek for use as a small groundsheet under the hammock. It's very cost-effective. I'd stick with synthetics for a while - a new 14yr old camper will drop a quilt on the wet ground. I've seen experienced 15yr old campers do it. The teenage brain has impulses that lead to such behavior. Synthetics are cheaper than down, more resilient (small tears don't let the magic smoke out) and still work somewhat when wet. For 3 season use in Georgia there won't be a huge weight and bulk penalty anyway.
    Yeah, he's definitely still a teenager. I love the idea of a groundsheet and hadn't considered that before. Will keep his gear clean if he drops stuff and gives him a good place to sit on the ground and take off/put on shoes. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Strongly recommend that you find a group hang and at least visit it for the day. Let the folks at the hang know that you are new to hanging and want to learn about the different hammocks, TQs, UQs, Tarps ect. They should be happy to show off their set ups and if you ask most will let you try out their hammocks. I find group hangs are a great place for new hangers and hanger wantabes to learn about hanging.

Just remember there is no one perfect hammock, TQ, UQ ect.
    First local one-night hang will be next weekend, right here in town with the church group. We're hoping to receive what's needed for him to hang in the back yard this weekend... but holy cow is it supposed to rain all weekend! We'll need to receive the rainfly and underquilt for that to work though. Fingers crossed!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tch0901 View Post
    He does have a poncho liner and we are debating making a footbox on it, making a silk liner, and seeing if that will do the job.
    Another vote for the poncho liner, with footbox, skip the liner. With a good UQ, he may not need much for a TQ, depending on how warm he sleeps. Could always put hot water in a Nalgene water bottle and use it to stay warmer on a cold night.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/DIY PLTQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Another vote for the poncho liner, with footbox, skip the liner. With a good UQ, he may not need much for a TQ, depending on how warm he sleeps. Could always put hot water in a Nalgene water bottle and use it to stay warmer on a cold night.
    That is great news! My checking account appreciates it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast