DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Here's a link to a blog post I put together a while back that describes the way I put together my 'starter' set-up. Keep in mind that is just the way that I went about it and its geared more toward the warmer months. There are countless ways to get into hammock camping without dropping a lot of coin. Just keep in mind that most of these ways aren't the lightest or least bulky but they'll get you out in the woods and you can upgrade as you're able.

Here's the link:

https://getoutga.wordpress.com/2013/...g-on-a-budget/

Hope he enjoys himself, especially on the Pine Mountain trip. I'm hoping to get down there for a weekend myself sometime in the next month or two.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tch0901 View Post
    My 14 year old son begged to take a backpacking/camping class at a local church. It's a 9-week class and I am so appreciative to those who lead it. They put in loads of personal time and effort and it really shows.

My son has said he wants to hang, and so here I am trying to learn! He has two local trips where we'll be car camping, then he'll be backpacking/hanging in Pine Mountain, GA next month.

Since we are trying to stock up on the most basic of necessities from the ground up (we pretty much had nothing going into this), we're kind of taking things as they are offered to us. He was gifted an ENO Singlenest, and although it wouldn't have been my first choice for him, it'll do to get started. I ordered a KAQ (underquilt) from AHE. He was also gifted a great Osprey Atmos 50 pack.

Suggestions for the following would be helpful!

1. Still looking for a top quilt or sleeping bag (something not heavy!) that could serve as one for a period of time.
    If you're in GA, and you're a Mom, and your son is 14, I'm going to guess that he won't be doing a whole lot of backpacking in temps under 30-40 degrees. Your choice of a KAQ is a good one for your circumstance. For a TQ, let me suggest something from Enlightened Equipment. I used a Prodigy for a couple of years before I learned how to make my own. A good quality sleeping bag would cost you as much.

2. I would love to get recommendations on a mosquito net and rainfly.
    I'm still using the Hennessy Hex I bought used four years ago. For the money, its the best tarp available. For the Mosquito Net, there's a couple of good choices.

The Butt In A Sling Buginator

The Fronkey Style from Dutch.

And the HUG from Arrowhead Equipment

He has the ENO Atlas Straps so we need to learn how to string a ridgeline also? I have no idea how to tie knots. Sorry to be so green but I am really hoping to get help here!
    Arrowhead Equipment to the rescue!

And Dutch has some as well.

We have maybe $300 remaining in the budget to purchase the topquilt, bug net, rainfly, and new shoes... can it be done?

Looking forward to the forums!
    You might need another $100 in your budget for shoes if you go retail on the above hammock stuff. I'd recommend a pair of Merrell MOABs

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/DIY PLTQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by scoffman View Post
    use a cheap climatek walmart sleeping bag. They are small and with an underquilt they work great.
    I will look into that! He does have a poncho liner and we are debating making a footbox on it, making a silk liner, and seeing if that will do the job. He is learning that his pack becomes heavy quickly!

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/DIY PLTQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    With exceptionally minimal sewing skills, an effective net can me made. Search for "Fronkey bugnet" here on the forum. I even know someone that sewed one by hand.

A cheap sleeping bag will serve as a top quilt, but is will be a bit heavy & bulky. Again, a Climashield top quilt is as nearly easy to sew as the bugnet, but will require access to a sewing machine. It would be better than a cheap sleeping bag and be useful in the long run.

A silnylon tarp will be lightest and most packable for the buck. Make sure it has an 11' ridgeline to cover larger hammocks that he will probably acquire in the future.
    Fronkey bugnet materials are on the way - thanks! $36 including shipping for everything. Love the drawstring design on the bottom for easy entry/exit.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/DIY PLTQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamee24 View Post
    I'm seeing a parent that will be enjoying their own hang in the near future! Good luck! ��
    I wish I could afford to outfit us both right now! Maybe next year I can join him. We also have a big family and the others are NOT interested. Add in lots of overtime at work, and ugh! But I'm glad for him to have the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    Hi and welcome, it is great you are so supportive of this.
    If you haven't already, be sure to check out Shug's videos on youtube and Derek Hansen's book (3.99 kindle version) on amazon - Ultimate-Hang-Illustrated-Hammock-Camping. Those two will really get you both up to speed on the many available options.
    Make sure to check out dutchwaregear.com to help with the set up, especially if you/he is uncomfortable relying on knots. Dutch also sells a very reasonable bug net (...and hammock, and sock and stakes and filters and stoves and fabric and lights ).
    I can't recommend the book enough, especially if you are the researching type, it will give a good foundation of knowledge to build on. Derek also has a nice web site as well (theultimatehang.com).
    I love my Kindle! Our class leaders recommended this book as well. I'll be purchasing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardog1 View Post
    Good mom! Good kid too! Glad to hear of someone that age interested in the outdoors instead of wasting life in front of the latest video game. Best of luck on your gear hunt and wishing you a lifetime of fond memories from hanging between two trees.
    Thanks, he is a great kid! His mom might be all right

Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    Also check out ripstopbytheroll.com for climashield and fabric. I've diy'd all of my gear from them and Dutch. The cub master in me has to suggest that if he likes camping then maybe he should check out the local Boy Scout troops.

The quilts are pretty easy to make. I used some of the guides from diygearsupply.com plus ideas from this great forum.

For the tarp check out the silpoly 2.0 from ripstopbytheroll.com
    Thank you! ripstopbytheroll.com is where we purchased the bugnet materials. Looking into the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by njredneck View Post
    Fronkey style bugnet $45 from Dutch, Hennessy Hex tarp About $70 on amazon, Top Quilt look for a 20* sleeping bag should be good for 3 seasons
    Definitely not the first time we've seen the Hennessy Hex recommended. Looks like that will be the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    Here's a link to a blog post I put together a while back that describes the way I put together my 'starter' set-up. Keep in mind that is just the way that I went about it and its geared more toward the warmer months. There are countless ways to get into hammock camping without dropping a lot of coin. Just keep in mind that most of these ways aren't the lightest or least bulky but they'll get you out in the woods and you can upgrade as you're able.

Here's the link:

https://getoutga.wordpress.com/2013/...g-on-a-budget/

Hope he enjoys himself, especially on the Pine Mountain trip. I'm hoping to get down there for a weekend myself sometime in the next month or two.
    I'm off to read your blog this afternoon! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    If you're in GA, and you're a Mom, and your son is 14, I'm going to guess that he won't be doing a whole lot of backpacking in temps under 30-40 degrees. Your choice of a KAQ is a good one for your circumstance. For a TQ, let me suggest something from Enlightened Equipment. I used a Prodigy for a couple of years before I learned how to make my own. A good quality sleeping bag would cost you as much.

I'm still using the Hennessy Hex I bought used four years ago. For the money, its the best tarp available. For the Mosquito Net, there's a couple of good choices.

The Butt In A Sling Buginator

The Fronkey Style from Dutch.

And the HUG from Arrowhead Equipment

Arrowhead Equipment to the rescue!

And Dutch has some as well.

You might need another $100 in your budget for shoes if you go retail on the above hammock stuff. I'd recommend a pair of Merrell MOABs
    Thank you for all of the recommendations! We'll take a look at the Merrells. We're going to DIY the bug net and quilt which will help with the budget.

What a great welcoming forum. We both really appreciate the advice.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    +1 on the MOABs - good for 10+ miles a day, my son and I both wear the waterproof version. We also wear FoxRiver X-Static liner socks inside hiking socks - big help for hiking, no blisters and no foot funk. Blue poly tarps are really cheap, readily available, and heavy.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20, KAQ 1, Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing / buckles
    Images
    Good for you and your son!!! Lots of sound advice here and appears your are your way to outfitting your son well. He will enjoy hiking and camping Pine Mountain. It's a great place to learn. Welcome to HF and keep up the good work.

I bought my 13 year old son the KAQ Jarbidge and it works well. We tried the Buginator, but he did not like that mode of entry. I cannot sew so we went with the Wilderness Logics bugnet and he really likes it. It's heavier than others, but it's almost 'bomb proof'. It has held up well to the robustness of the 13 year old. Another post mentioned the Prodigy quilt. That's what I bought my son. Tim used to offer the Prodigy-X which was lower cost due to the finish of the material and that's what I bought. Really nice quilt. Anything from Arrowhead will be quality as well. Since your in Georgia, if he will not be camping lower than 40F for a while, you might consider a Summer Series topquilt from Wilderness Logics.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Word of caution on using a sleeping bag as a TQ.

Its a good cost savings measure, but as soon as the zippper pokes a hole in the hammock, you'll be buying a new one.

If you're going to use the sleeping bag as a TQ, you might want to look at removing the zipper.

I have a Hennessey Hex tarp I'll sell you if you're interested - used on 1 trip, about 4 nights. I believe it is good as new - I scored a cuben fiber tarp on the forums here, so I can pass the old tarp on to someone who will use it! PM me if interested.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast