WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

100 Miles in 10 days

We did it. I strained, sprained, or somehow injured my right foot about 20 miles in but pushed through the pain to the end. The Lone Star is approximately a 96.6 TRAIL miles but we hiked 99.7 actual miles with miles in and out of camps. Not in 10 days but in 12 days of actual hiking due to my foot slowing us down.... plus 2 zero days in there to recover and resupply. I am satisfied. I hope my sponsors are. We collected over $2000 for The Senior Source, a worthy cause.
    Thank you all.
    We camped slightly off the trail most of the nights. We were almost always able to find a three tree set up enabling us to be "cozy" and only use Bob's superfly to cover us both. Although the temperatures dipped below freezing we were comfortable with our UGQ top quilts and Bob's diy pennypuffer underquilt and my UGQ underquilt. We also had a bottle of hot water in our footbox. We cached some water, filtered some water, gathered enough water to fill our bottles from the tarp as it rained one morning. leap frogged our cars (by the way- Both Double Lake National Park and Huntsville State Park will allow you to park your car in their facilities (Double Lake for day fees, Huntsville with no charge). We met very few other hikers. One was yo-yoing the trail in the 10 days we hoped to do it one way. One started after we did and past us up the second day planning on doing it in 6 days, and two men looked like they were going to finish it about three days before we did. They had packs that must have weighed over 50 lbs. Mostly we were alone on the trail and it was very nice.
    If you have not hiked the Lone Star Trail yet, I highly recommend it. It was beautiful even in the winter. The trees are often over 100 feet tall and some are over a yard in diameter. My favorite section was the Magnolia section. I would like to do that section again in the late spring when the Magnolias are in bloom. The Magnolias are as tall as the pines in this section - huge - like I said, over a 100 feet tall. We measured one fallen pine's main trunk and it was 99 feet and that did not include any top branches that were no longer a part of the fallen tree.
    We saw a few wild flowers, most notably the Texas native Yellow Jasmine (looks somewhat similar to honeysuckle but prettier). We saw a few deer (one albino) and a herd of hog. The birds were very plentiful. I would love to do it again sometime but not with an injured foot.
    You can read our journal on trailjournals.com

You can see a slide show of our hike on Youtube
    at
    http://youtu.be/Z__6TToZp_Y

A special thank you to those who support our hike from our fundraising site at crowdrise.com 100 Miles in 10 Days. I would not have been able to continue,especially after spraining my ankle, if I didn't have over 50 people counting on me to live up to my part of the bargain.
    Bob and Bev

"The measure of a life is not its duration but its donation." Corrie Ten Boom

"Life is measured not by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away." attributed to a variety of different people

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Great report! And what perseverance, inspiring. Thank you for sharing
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

That all sounds pretty awesome. And painful.

But mostly awesome.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Must have been great fun. The large loblolly pines neat to see. It appears like the entire trail was completely in natural areas without any visible human activity or structures. Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Most of y'all not from Texas won't know what Bob and Bev just went through. Put simply, it was the absolute worst Texas weather to hike in this side of a tornado or hurricane. Late February/early March are generally fairly mild. But all the time they were on the trail it was dreary, wet, and colder than my ex-wife's heart---at least for Texans.

Big kudo's for the Wanna Bs.

I wanna be just like 'em.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Congratulations, it sounds like you had fun, aside from the ankle.

Hammock
    WB/Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Winter Palace.
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch bkls
    Yay! You done did it! sorry to hear about the ankle injury. sarge is definitely right, you guys were real troopers.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Nice report and slide show. Thanks for sharing with us.

• + New Posts