Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I tend to prefer wider packs as well, but I realize that’s not the current trend because most people want more arm movement. But the reality is a wider pack keeps more weight centered on your back.

As for the tarp, I always keep mine in the front external placket. That’s it’s place, good weather or bad. I don’t even have to think about where it’s going and I always know exactly where it is should the need arise for a quick deployment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    The pack packs hi and skinny..
    This was my problem with my MLD Exodus that I was using a few years ago for my winter treks. I felt like when I had it packed full.. It was hi up and like head level.. So I tried a GG Mariposa and for me, I felt like it packed a !little better with my gear. It does not ride as hi up when fully packed.
    Attachment 179013Attachment 179014 hard to tell from the pictures but one on left is MLD Exodus and in the other picture.. Pack in left is By Mariposa. Both are packed with same exact gear and amount of food.
    That's a really good and useful comparison.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by mazotster View Post
    How do you solve the volume problem? I have an HMG 3400 and after I put in 2 quilts, my WB blackbird, and a WB mountainfly tarp, there’s just not that much room left. The pack packs high and skinny and now stuff is at the back of my head. Carry the tarp on the outside of the pack?
    Def keep the tarp on the outside; I kept mine in snake skins in the shock cord on the back of my pack. It’s great to be able to set up the tarp first in the pouring rain without even opening your pack. I think it helps keeping stuff dry too

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Agreed on the external storage. My wife and I have been folding our cuben tarps for 8 years now with no issues. They pack flat and take up very little space.

Quickly cranking out the hammock tarp at a wet lunch or break is an awesome thing.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by mazotster View Post
    How do you solve the volume problem? I have an HMG 3400 and after I put in 2 quilts, my WB blackbird, and a WB mountainfly tarp, there’s just not that much room left. The pack packs high and skinny and now stuff is at the back of my head. Carry the tarp on the outside of the pack?
    Something that has helped me is to ditch the stuff sacks to nearly everything. Years ago, I had played around with a single stuff sack for both quilts, and my hammock. That was OK, but difficult to get in my pack. What I started doing in 2013 was simply eliminating nearly all stuff sacks. I think it helps with quilt life as well as the quilt can fit to a large space when not packing as tightly (carrying less food). Picture the lotto balls in the giant glass box...tons of empty space. Stuff sacks act pretty similarly.

On a 5 day food carry, I pack like this (quick summation):

1 day of food to the bottom of the pack.
    Underquilt without stuff sack.
    1 day of food.
    Insert half of my top quilt (no stuff sack).
    1 day of food.
    Remainder of top quilt.
    Ditty bag with some random stuff..hygiene, electronics, etc.... This bag is oversized for the contents so that it doesn't create a ball.
    Sleep socks.
    Hammock (no stuff sack).
    Tree Straps in a ziplock bag.
    Down jacket if not worn. Hat and gloves are in the pockets of my down jacket.
    2 days of food + 1 California grocery bag (thicker multi-use plastic bag) with bulk items, nuts, jerky, etc..
    Close top.

Loksaks, Rain poncho and hammock tarp are in the large mesh pocket outside along with water bladders.

Toilet paper, wind shirt and wind pants in upper side mesh pockets.

Z Rest strapped on top.

Each individual day's worth of food in a ziplock in case a wrapper rips.

As food increases, it goes in the lower two levels...that way weight is kept low in the pack.

I think that covers it.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Something that has helped me is to ditch the stuff sacks to nearly everything. Years ago, I had played around with a single stuff sack for both quilts, and my hammock. That was OK, but difficult to get in my pack. What I started doing in 2013 was simply eliminating nearly all stuff sacks. I think it helps with quilt life as well as the quilt can fit to a large space when not packing as tightly (carrying less food). Picture the lotto balls in the giant glass box...tons of empty space. Stuff sacks act pretty similarly.

On a 5 day food carry, I pack like this (quick summation):

1 day of food to the bottom of the pack.
    Underquilt without stuff sack.
    1 day of food.
    Insert half of my top quilt (no stuff sack).
    1 day of food.
    Remainder of top quilt.
    Ditty bag with some random stuff..hygiene, electronics, etc.... This bag is oversized for the contents so that it doesn't create a ball.
    Sleep socks.
    Hammock (no stuff sack).
    Tree Straps in a ziplock bag.
    Down jacket if not worn. Hat and gloves are in the pockets of my down jacket.
    2 days of food + 1 California grocery bag (thicker multi-use plastic bag) with bulk items, nuts, jerky, etc..
    Close top.

Loksaks, Rain poncho and hammock tarp are in the large mesh pocket outside along with water bladders.

Toilet paper, wind shirt and wind pants in upper side mesh pockets.

Z Rest strapped on top.

Each individual day's worth of food in a ziplock in case a wrapper rips.

As food increases, it goes in the lower two levels...that way weight is kept low in the pack.

I think that covers it.
    So your Dodd is simply loose with your quilts basically wrapped around separated days? You don’t have any worries about messing up your quilts?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    So your Dodd is simply loose with your quilts basically wrapped around separated days? You don’t have any worries about messing up your quilts?

Actually, no. My food is in a ziplock bag. It is double wrapped essentially. The food is in its packaging from the manufacturer, whether it is a Knorr Side or Larabar or whatever. A day's worth is then inside a sealed ziplock bag. In this scenario, the food is not loose at all. The quilts hold it snuggly in place since the pack is packed up and quite secure. Even chocolate and cheese stay in excellent condition since the pack is packed up in the morning when the food is cool from the previous evening. With all that insulation, it doesn't get the warmth that it would on the top of the pack.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Actually, no. My food is in a ziplock bag. It is double wrapped essentially. The food is in its packaging from the manufacturer, whether it is a Knorr Side or Larabar or whatever. A day's worth is then inside a sealed ziplock bag. In this scenario, the food is not loose at all. The quilts hold it snuggly in place since the pack is packed up and quite secure. Even chocolate and cheese stay in excellent condition since the pack is packed up in the morning when the food is cool from the previous evening. With all that insulation, it doesn't get the warmth that it would on the top of the pack.
    Interesting. My luck my quilts would be destroyed in a week, but you have given me (a lot) to think on. Thanks for your insight!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I tried this method with a new 40L pack and shoulder season setup on an overnighter and I have to admit it worked quite well. I was a little worried just because quilts are expensive, but you’re right- they filled up the space nicely and I had plenty of room up top.

Thanks for the insight. I’m not sure I would fit a full winter hammock setup in a 40 L, but it’s definitely viable for everything else now.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I tried this method with a new 40L pack and shoulder season setup on an overnighter and I have to admit it worked quite well. I was a little worried just because quilts are expensive, but you’re right- they filled up the space nicely and I had plenty of room up top.

Thanks for the insight. I’m not sure I would fit a full winter hammock setup in a 40 L, but it’s definitely viable for everything else now.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Excellent! Indeed quilts are expensive. I believe that, with proper packing, you shouldn't get any messes. I would think that this method should be easier on our down gear in general since it isn't getting crammed into a stuff sack and can fill up otherwise list space.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast