Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
    I am wondering about the NY sections - can you hang anywhere along the trail or do you have to make it to a shelter or designated camping area to hang? I am particularly interested in the three sections nearest the Connecticut border. Thanks.
    I can’t really remember what sections near Connecticut you’re referring to, but short answer is yes you can hang wherever. Unless it’s someone’s private property (it will be marked) just camp wherever.

Aside from shelters there are often small spots where a few tents can set up, and it’s easier to find places to hang. Lots of times if I found a nice little water source I’d just stop there; walk a distance away from the trail and find a nice little spot for myself.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Thanks for te reply OneClick. I live in southeastern N.Y. and want to hike the sections near me. I am thinking I might hammock camp on one or two of them. I think camping is restricted to the shelters and designated areas, but I wanted to confirm that.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Crazy stuff. Good thing my religion prevents me from sleeping in shelters with others.
    Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Crazy stuff. Good thing my religion prevents me from sleeping in shelters with others.
    I want to point out that situations like he mentioned are probably rare. Frankly anyone showing up after 9 is rare and considered rude to everyone else.

On the flip side, I was at a Smokey shelter once and a ranger was there cleaning out the fireplace. He sees all us us standing around, looks in the mostly empty shelter, turns and says “I’d say this is pretty full up, you guys can set up wherever you like.”

He was a cool guy and we ended up sharing some moonshine together that I picked up in Gatlinburg

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    I can’t really remember what sections near Connecticut you’re referring to, but short answer is yes you can hang wherever. Unless it’s someone’s private property (it will be marked) just camp wherever.

Aside from shelters there are often small spots where a few tents can set up, and it’s easier to find places to hang. Lots of times if I found a nice little water source I’d just stop there; walk a distance away from the trail and find a nice little spot for myself.
    Thanks very much Shrewd, that's just what I wanted to know. I am looking for a place to go nearby for a quick weekend hang with some solitude. I am particularly interested in the section from the AT train stop on NY 22 to West Dover Road and then the continuation past Nuclear Lake to NY 55. I may just day hike them first and then do the overnight once I see what's what. Thanks again.

- Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
    Thanks very much Shrewd, that's just what I wanted to know. I am looking for a place to go nearby for a quick weekend hang with some solitude. I am particularly interested in the section from the AT train stop on NY 22 to West Dover Road and then the continuation past Nuclear Lake to NY 55. I may just day hike them first and then do the overnight once I see what's what. Thanks again.

I remember crossing the rail road but no specifics after that. Plenty of places to camp. Honestly pretty much anywhere on the AT a hammocker can find a spot off trail if they take a good look.

I stealth camped a good bit and only a few times did I have to get creative

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I remember crossing the rail road but no specifics after that. Plenty of places to camp. Honestly pretty much anywhere on the AT a hammocker can find a spot off trail if they take a good look.

I stealth camped a good bit and only a few times did I have to get creative

I think that New York may be getting confused with New Jersey. New Jersey requires everyone to camp within the State Park System and at designated sites. However, this wasn’t really an issue. I actually preferred the shelter’s and Bear boxes provided so that I didn’t have to worry about my food and had easy access to water. Of course I never stayed in the shelter’s unless raining and preferred hammocking. I treated New York basically the same way. Check your mileage against the Guthook App. I was doing 18 mile days but also was spending time at deli’s and Creameries for long lunches! Lol. I agree with the original post that hammocking is not an issue anywhere along the AT. I did carry a Neo Air Mattress bought after a horrible night at the Fontana Hilton. It made my work for stay at Lake of the Clouds Hut a wonderful experience and only cost me 12 oz. Shrewds write up last year was awesome so look it up. I may do one this December, but don’t want to overkill.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    I think that New York may be getting confused with New Jersey.
    Man you carried a neoair that far?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Man you carried a neoair that far?
    Yep! Lol. Stayed in the bottom of my pack until needed. Also lined the pack with a Barca Lounger that I used to protect the Neo Air. But remember, I am 58, with a bad back and really wanted a great nights sleep. I would carry that 12 oz again if i had to go to the ground or shelter.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Yep! Lol. Stayed in the bottom of my pack until needed. Also lined the pack with a Barca Lounger that I used to protect the Neo Air. But remember, I am 58, with a bad back and really wanted a great nights sleep. I would carry that 12 oz again if i had to go to the ground or shelter.
    How often did you go to ground, in shelters or otherwise?

I remember feeling intense envy when my friends just blew up tiger pads and called it done for the day. More so on a cold wet morning when all they did was pack their pad and were ready to go and I had my whole hammock kit to deal with.

Still, I never found myself wanting to use the pad unless it was ****** out, and then every time the shelters were packed by 4

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    How often did you go to ground, in shelters or otherwise?

I remember feeling intense envy when my friends just blew up tiger pads and called it done for the day. More so on a cold wet morning when all they did was pack their pad and were ready to go and I had my whole hammock kit to deal with.

Still, I never found myself wanting to use the pad unless it was ****** out, and then every time the shelters were packed by 4
    I am 65 and can't sleep comfortably on the ground anymore. My WBRR is my savior.

- Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast