Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy Chain
    Chop: I’m intrigued by your packing, and it sounds like it should work in most situations. Who wouldn’t want more space, less weight and stuff sacks.... I would ask about your food storage, specifically at camp. Do you hang or keep everything with you in your hammock at night? And if you hang, needing a traditional food bag for the hang, does this add to the daily handling of your food ( in the hang bag, out of the hang bag, etc.).

I’m sure you have a plan, and I apologize of you addressed this and I missed it. Thanks.

Excellent! Indeed quilts are expensive. I believe that, with proper packing, you shouldn't get any messes. I would think that this method should be easier on our down gear in general since it isn't getting crammed into a stuff sack and can fill up otherwise list space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    " Can't not try". :thumbup

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    SeaToSummit Ultra
    Suspension
    webbing + buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Excellent! Indeed quilts are expensive. I believe that, with proper packing, you shouldn't get any messes. I would think that this method should be easier on our down gear in general since it isn't getting crammed into a stuff sack and can fill up otherwise list space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hi Chop/Beardoh - do you know roughly how many litres capacity your through hiking backpack is? Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by golfhiker View Post
    Chop: I’m intrigued by your packing, and it sounds like it should work in most situations. Who wouldn’t want more space, less weight and stuff sacks.... I would ask about your food storage, specifically at camp. Do you hang or keep everything with you in your hammock at night? And if you hang, needing a traditional food bag for the hang, does this add to the daily handling of your food ( in the hang bag, out of the hang bag, etc.).

I’m sure you have a plan, and I apologize of you addressed this and I missed it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [/QUOTE]

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get the notification

Food:

I do not bring it into my hammock with me at night, but rather use a bag that is odor proof. After using Loksaks for many years, I have switched to a Nylo bag that Zpacks sells. These are surprisingly durable, pack smaller and are lighter than a Loksak. Here is the link: https://zpacks.com/products/nylopro-odor-barrier-bags

I used this for 2200 miles on the CDT last year, with no issues. 1 bag for the whole 2200 miles. I typically put my food bags into this bag at the end of the day, twist the top and set it upside down to keep the top closed....then empty and fold in the AM.

On the Great Divide Trail in Canada, I did hang my food....IIRC, I think their regs require it. On a trail like the JMT, I use a bear can per requirements.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by grindle View Post
    hi Chop/Beardoh - do you know roughly how many litres capacity your through hiking backpack is? Thanks.
    The big main area is about 25-30 litres...Though I may increase that by 10-15% on this year's pack that I am getting ready to order supplies for.... I am pretty tall (6'5") and would like a more direct line from my shoulder to the top of the shoulder strap, rather than sloping down.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213