Snow camping layout/arrangement tips?

Howdy all.

I've done a fair amount of searching on this topic and have yet to find anything that hits the nail on the head. I'm wondering how those of you who do a lot of hammock camping over snow arrange your camping spot once you've got your hammock and tarp up. Where do you typically stash your boots overnight? If you've got a pack, where does that go? When you change clothes or get into a sleeping bag, do you just try to do that in the hammock or do you find a way to stand on the snow while you do this (like with a sheet of plastic or something)?

Context: I'm preparing for my first winter hang tomorrow night (and first overnight outdoor hang, really) and hope to glean some nuggets of wisdom from all the seasoned and experienced folks around here--whether directly related to the above questions or not.

Equipment: WBBB (double-layer 1.1) + Superfly + 20-degree 3/4 length Yeti + 0-degree mummy bag as a TQ + a piece or two of blue egg-crate foam padding from Walmart

Conditions: Hanging above a foot or two of snow on a forested mountain slope. Forecast is for a calm, clear night with lows somewhere in the 20s.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1Double layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG 20* Burr/Incu
    Suspension
    Straps
    I know a lot of my friends use a combination of a tyvek sheet and a gear hammock. I've never attempted it myself yet as it is a whole different gear set that I haven't started working on yet, but I know those two pieces can make a big difference.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Most important for me is a tarp to the ground in cold temperatures, but NOT staked down. The picture here shows the 12'x12' DIY tarp I use. It closes off at the ends, and, though a little slack and baggy, provides plenty of room to move around in during snow or rain fall. The tarps' being pretty much vertical, instead of being tied out, means it does not collect snow fall. May add spreader bars to it to open it up a little. But most importantly, it blocks wind very well, because of it's not being tied out, it does not flap around at night or make noise. That tarp configuration absolutely kills any chilling caused by the wind, or even a 'boat sale' effect. Not the most elegant, but it works quite effectively.

I also carry a very small piece of polly tarp to put my pack on at night, which is large enough to cover it over, preventing loosing things in the snow fall at night. There is no possibility of animals being a threat at camp, they are all hibernating. My boots are just under this large tarp on the snow. The Hennessy bottom entry sure is great for sitting up and changing clothes in the 'warm' enclosure. Of course, I can't say enough about Taiga Works expedition booties. Most excellent, wouldn't winter camp without them.

11-28-2014 BP TRIP 029.jpg 100_1250.jpg tarp cover.jpg
    Last edited by psyculman; 03-06-2015 at 04:32.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    After hammock and tarp are up, I also put up a second ridgeline (doesnt have to be under your tarp but can be) and use that to hang items on that can be exposed to elements. I will hang my food, jetboil, etc. I also hang my pack on this separate ridgeline. I just slip on my pack cover and cinch it down REAL tight and I can get the pack 95% covered/cocooned. If its looking like real rain, i might figure out a way to hang it under my tarp.

As for changing/floor-mat, I will recommend my most useful piece of kit, my Therm-a-rest zLite Sol CCF pad. I bought a full length one and cut it in half to have two pads. I cut holes in both sections so It can always be tied back together (with Zing It! or 550 whatever) if i need a full pad. I use the half pads as sit pads, knee pads (when i use my tent), floor mats to change on, cooking platform, fire fanner, etc. The uses are endless. A bit bulky but weigh nothing.

I actually carry another ccf pad, the Therm-a-rest zSeat which is just a cut down version of the same larger pad. (Essentially I carry 3 separate pads.) Its great for under your legs in the hammock or for any cold spots that might arise. You can also JUST use this (if you dont want to carry a bigger pad) for your needs (floor mat for putting on boots, etc). I have linked them below.

http://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-T.../dp/B001VLPJUI

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...APZP6NHY6EGJJ1

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Boots just stay on the ground under my hammock. I wear VBL's so the insulation in my boots is usually dry and therefore will not freeze.
    My gear stays in my sled or in a the duffle bag that it sits in while in the sled. It is within reach and the sled kind of blocks the gap between the my tarp and the ground.
    When I change I just have my boots real loose and alternate feet for each pant leg. It's a bit of a balancing act my I lean on my ridgeline.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It's also handy to have a piece of CCF as a sit pad/foot pad. That can be laid on the ground for a clean place to put feet while changing. It can then be dusted off and used for extra insulation as needed. A small inflatable like Shug uses will also work but is more susceptible to damage.

As I recall if one takes 2 CCF pads and cuts about 2 ft off of one that leaves a torso pad and a sit pad. Setting up use the torso pad cross wise for shoulders and core with the full length pad over it. That gives you insulation around hands and shoulders. The sit pad can be put under one's but or feet as needed.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    After the hammock and tarp are up, I like to make snow walls to close off the gap between the ground and the tarp.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Extra floor mats are nice, I suppose, but not really necessary.

My winter camp consists of hammock with quilts, hammock sock, and tarp with ridgeline under it.
    The sock blocks all wind and drafts, so the tarp just needs to shed snow -- typically a diamond configuration is enough. Sometimes I make a trench so I can stand up straight under the tarp, and use the excavated snow to build windbreak walls. Other times I build myself a nightstand. Other times it's just hang & sleep.

I change pants & longjohns while laying down in the hammock, with the hammock sock pulled up at least halfway to block winds. I can change my socks the same way, or while sitting up in the hammock. I change upper layers, and readjust lower layers, while standing.

Without a hammock sock, I'd probably change lower layers in the sleeping bag. If you're winter camping, you're probably already making sure to stay as dry as possible (waterproof-breathable shell, venting, always adjusting layers, etc.), but if a layer gets soaked I'd take it off while standing to keep the hammock and insulation dry.

My pack hangs at a comfortable access height from the head end of the suspension, or from a tree. When not in use, I cover it with a drawstring trash bag.

When weather is right, I can sometimes dry (or partially dry) items by wringing them, then hanging from the tarp ridgeline. I always do this with gloves and socks. If they don't dry, I have spares in my pack -- so might as well try.

My trekking poles are jabbed into the snow near the hammock, and I hang my boots upside down on them to keep them out of the snow, keep snow out, and handy in the morning. I've also tried tying my boots to the tarp ridgeline and sliding them towards my feet so I don't have to see/smell them all night, and that was fine. If my boot liners are dry, I sleep with them on. If very slightly damp, I use them as hot water bottle cozies while I sleep. If wet, I wring them, hang from the tarp ridgeline, and put them on the next day with Subway sandwich bags between the damp liners and my socks. (Only needed to do that once, but now I always carry those bags)

I usually change into dry warm clothes as soon as the evening's heavy camp chores are done and I know there's no more sweating. Later, when it's time to turn in for the night, I take off my shell layer and hang it up (usually around the head of the hammock, or from the tarp ridgeline). The pants come off over my boots, so I have it easy. If they didn't, I would do like Bubba and take them off one leg at a time while standing in loose boots and using the hammock or a tree for balance. Then I sit in the hammock, take off my boots and hang them on my poles, tuck into my quilts and off to dreamland

Have a great time out there, LoneRanger!
    Let us know what worked for you, or didn't.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I bought a roll of Reflectix at Lowes and the metallized tape made for it for something around $20. I taped two widths together and created a ground-cloth that's about 3'x4' and weighs very little. I fold it to half its width first, then roll up rather tightly and attach to the bottom of my pack. It's waterproof and big enough for me to sit on while cooking on my stove. Snow mostly just shakes off it and it has a surprising amount of insulation for its weight and thickness.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Looks like you are already off on your winter camping so it will be interesting to see what you report.

When I tried it I found that though one can rig a hammock on a slope, it is a SLOPE. So every time I put some gear down it wanted to roll away. Finally, I stomped out a flat pad to for my gear. Next epiphany was realizing that often there was a well (tree well) next to the tree so I can't loop around as high as I wanted. Or there is snow at the tree base, but it is weaker than the packed snow between the trees so I'd sink. Because I couldn't hang as high on the tree, there was some digging out under the hammock.

Also, you don't want to be walking in mid-calf deep snow in the middle of the night so be sure to pack down the snow in front of your hammock - where you will exit/enter - and absolutely pack out a trail to where you plan to pee. You don't want to be walking though fresh snow in the middle of the night, sinking up to your knees in your jammies.

Using the snow, either piled or with something to cut blocks, to create wind breaks, kitchen area, etc. is great.

There are a lot of ideas on the forum about dealing with condensation. I'll not rehash them here.

I found that my stove and/or cook fuel are happier when they are on an insulating pad rather than placed directly on the snow.

Alkaline batteries usually suffer in the cold so if you use them for GPS, headlamp or other devices, you might consider switching them for Lithium. Lithium are lighter and not that much more expensive when purchased on sale.

Fingerless gloves can be nice to give some protection plus dexterity. If it is really cold, you can wear the fingerless gloves inside a mitten and just slip your hand out when needed.

If weight is not so important, you can consider using a Steripen to purify the water. It takes a lot more fuel to bring liquid water to a boil. So you can save fuel by bringing the snow to liquid and then purifying it with the Steripen.

When Berry Bishop, co-climber with Lute Jerstad, members of the American team that climbed Mt. Everest (who didn't have as good a publicist as Jim Whittaker) said when asked what the hardest part of climbing Everest was, he said, "Finding 3 inches of *biological term* in six inches of insulation when you have to pee."

• + New Posts