Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I used my BA 15-degree mummy with an uninsulated air core mattress this last weekend, on the shores of Lake Superior in 55-60F overnights. It worked, but took a bit to get it dialed in. If I deflated the pad too much, I got a cold spot on my backside exactly where the pad bent to accommodate the lay of the hammock. If I inflated it too much, the pad was too rigid in the hammock. Fortunately I remembered to put the valve end right next to my head so I could play with the inflation until I got it where I liked it. Once I got it dialed in I slept like a baby. Or as Shug would say, like a wino.

As I just bought my hammock rig and am also running low on funds, I think my next step will be to buy a cheap fleece stadium blanket from a thrift store and use it to make a sleeve for a piece of reflectrix, then run that down the back of the sleeping bag in place of the inflatable pad. Hopefully I'll get the time to both make the pad and test it before the summer runs out.

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    While, i'm new to this and in the same boat as others in this thread. I'm curious of removing the "sleeve" portion of the BA bag to turn it into a quilt of sorts. I love my BA Yampa 40 and my Encampment 15 and would hate to loose their usage. The bag works for me but I seemed to get tangled in what was bag and what was sleeve in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Definitely used my BA Pad-Buffalo Park bag combo to start in my hammock. It does the job. Now that I've moved to UQ/TQ, I'll never look back. It was a great way to start though.

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    Definitely used my BA Pad-Buffalo Park bag combo to start in my hammock. It does the job. Now that I've moved to UQ/TQ, I'll never look back. It was a great way to start though.
    Thanks Marmaduke.. i've been a bit concerned with it getting to the end of the summer. i caught a chill last weekend in 70+ deg weather..... now that i'm hooked i don't want to be forced back down to the ground in the cooler months.

Hammock
    DIY- Sil nylon
    Tarp
    DIY sil or poly
    Insulation
    down-plastic-foil
    Suspension
    DIY-para cord
    Have any of you that used the BA park system bags tried the bags and a pad in a bridge hammock?
    I am wanting to try this to get the best of both worlds and be able to hang or go to the ground with just one setup.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    before i got my UQ, this is what I used. I have the BA 40* bag and an exped. It worked well. Really well actually. Now that I have an UQ though, there's no comparison IMO. UQ is much more comfy and practical.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big JJ View Post
    Have any of you that used the BA park system bags tried the bags and a pad in a bridge hammock?
    I am wanting to try this to get the best of both worlds and be able to hang or go to the ground with just one setup.
    Depends on what kind of sleeper you are. If you only shift once or twice during the night it will work great. If you are like me and shift from side to side 4 to 5 times a night then you are better off getting a bridge with its own pocket for the air mattress. After trying more than a dozen different configurations, that my most comfortable.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I'm new to hammocking & started sleeping with my Big Agnes 15 degree bag in May (in Wisconsin). I've used my REI AirRail mattress (r-value of 4.2) since I don't have an underquilt yet. In May/June, I also added a mummy cut piece of reflectix on top of the mattress. I also have a shoulder piece of reflectix. I've never had condensation issues.

I LOVE my BA sleeping bag. I don't see me wanting a separate TQ any time soon. I'm thinking of adding a liner (for versatility)

Tonight I'm stringing my shock cord through my Costco DIY UQ !!!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cuben fiber
    Suspension
    whoppie slings/MSH
    Started out with a BA bag and CC foam pad. Works pretty well. Like other though - my shoulders got cold. Thought for a while about sewing some fabric tubes to put pad extenders on the sides. Never did it because I ended up getting an UQ. But I think it would work. Still use my BA bag as a TQ now but without a pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123