Hammock
    Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Big Agnes system...work well with a hammock?

Just like the topic asks, does it work?
    For those that aren't familiar, Big Agnes sleeping bags, (some of them anyway), forgo the bottom insulation in favor of an integral sleeve that a Therm-a-Rest (or similarly sized), full-length pad slides into. This has its advantages in reducing the overall weight and volume of the bag, and also keeping you from sliding around and off of it. Works pretty awesome when you're on the ground.
    Has anyone ever used this system in a hammock?
    I have read that sometimes pads will cause condensation buildup, I'd hate for that to happen especially since my pad is physically attached to my bag.
    Going to try my first overnight hang at the end of the month. It'll be cold, 30-40 degrees, and if my luck holds, it'll be wet too. :-)
    Trying to mitigate any unforeseen challenges by learning from the experiences of you good folks.

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    I see no immediate reason that it wouldn't work. But i've never seen one in action. I've also never experienced extreme condensation like folks up north do.
    Always last to the camp site.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I started my hammock camping with a BA bad/pad combo. It works very well, especially if you slightly under-inflate the pad. Many people (including myself) will eventually go for quilts, but if you are going to use a sleeping bag/pad, the BA, in my opinion, is the only way to go. With any pad, shoulder coverage may be a bit of a problem, since the hammock comes up and presses against your shoulders, but I stuffed unused clothing around each shoulder and didn't have any problem. I think in the 30-40 degree range, you will be fine. I never had any condensation issues. Remember, not all pads are equal in terms of R value. Some of the pads are not much more than air mattresses and won't offer any warmth, even if you are on the ground. I used the BA hinman (sp?) and like it. I have a friend who has probably 40 + nights in the BWCA in his ba/pad and he uses the BA insulated air core pad, I think. I know he loves it.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    I velcroed CCF Wings for shoulder coverage. That worked very well. The BA bag, CCF wings & CCF pad in the sleeve is a great combo. BUT, At 6' 2" the reg bag was too short, and the long I used (fine on the ground) had so much slack I always had terrible hassle with the bags zipper.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Ive used my BA encampment 15, and a neo air trekker. I shift a lot in my sleep, so when I rolled to the side, the whole system would sometimes roll with me. My shoulders would get cold against the hammock. If I was really tired and stayed put, it was fine. If you not a squirmer, it works! However, i am waiting on the arrival of my uq as we speak...)

Hammock
    Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thanks for all the replies!
    I have a Therm-a-Rest Basecamp, (about 12 yrs old), not sure of the R factor, but it's been plenty warm on the ground.
    I also have some CCF ground pads that I will probably alter up a bit for shoulder padding. Going to purchase a couple of GT ULs to outfit the girls for a first hang experiment later this month. We will essentially be car camping for our first time out so we'll bring the tried and true tent...just in case...
    We're all pretty excited for this adventure! Wish us luck!
    Will post some pics and an AAR when we get back.
    Thanks again!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I tried my wife's BA kit during a backyard test. The only thing I really remember about it is that the zipper was on the proper side for entry and exit (I have a HH with the zipper on only one side) and despite the zipper on the bag matching up with the zipper on the hammock, I had to wake up way too much due to the zipper sticking to get in and out during the night -- which I routinely have to do several times. Like many others, I now have quilts above and below.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    While I can't comment on Big Agnes, you'll be a lucky camper indeed if you don't get condensation from the pad. Most folks do, but there's the rare hammock camper that doesn't. The cold convective air currents underneath the hammock, and the warm human in a sleeping bag above, creates the temperature differential that causes condensation.

On the ground I never get condensation with a pad (no convection), but I sure as heck get it in a hammock using a pad.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I had similar experience as others described above.... never had condensation issues, but always felt like a wrestling match inside my hammock. Underinflating the pad certainly helps minimize the feeling that you're trying to stay "afloat".

At the time, I didn't realize the significant comfort improvement of the quilt system...I made the change to shed weight. The BA bag and pad ain't light!

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    I started out using a BA Lost Ranger 15 degree bag with an insulated BA Air Core inflated pad, partially inflated. While I liked the extra padding in the hammock, as said before, I had to supplement on the sides.

Solution currently is that I still use the bag, but purchased an AHE under quilt. The UQ wraps around me and keeps the sides warm. The bag works great in the hammock, for me. I have never used a top quilt so I don't know the difference. I actually think the bag keeps in more warmth that may be lost tossing around with a top quilt. But, most people end up with both TQ and UQ so it must be good for them.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast