Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images

Best Way To Layer Quilts/Air Pads/CCF Pads

I am waiting on a HG Incubator 10° to arrive for use with my new WB XLC. Still a week out on the UQ.

I am going camping this weekend and would love to give the hammock a go. It will be in the low 30s at night. I have an air pad (insulated Thermarest) and a CCF pad (Thermarest Zlite Sol) that I was thinking of using in some form to slip into my DL XLC.

Think I can get down to 30° using a thermarest insulated air pad and a Zlite ccf? What order do I stack them? I was thinking air pad with the ccf on top of that might get me by. So it would go: me, ccf pad, air pad. Is this the correct way to go?

I actually have two air pads (one a 2.5" and another is 1.5") that could be layered with the CCF. I also have a spare sleeping bag that I could stuff into the DL (not sure where in the order it would go) if you guys think that would make a difference.

Just trying to rig something up so I can use the hammock. I know its not ideal. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I would put the CCF on the outermost. Think in terms of how you layer clothing for cold weather.... Insulation next to your body and wind blocking outside of that. You don't wear our rain/wind layer inside of your down coat as the down coat will not block the heat staling wind. It would loose any heat it does trap. But when you put the layer that blocks that heat stealing convection outside of the heat trapping layers you feel much warmer. The "air" in your air pad is what warms up from your body heat...just like your down in a quilt or jacket. The CCF would function more like your outer jacket layer, helping to block convection from pulling heat from the layers that hold in heat.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    I would put the CCF on the outermost. Think in terms of how you layer clothing for cold weather.... Insulation next to your body and wind blocking outside of that. You don't wear our rain/wind layer inside of your down coat as the down coat will not block the heat staling wind. It would loose any heat it does trap. But when you put the layer that blocks that heat stealing convection outside of the heat trapping layers you feel much warmer. The "air" in your air pad is what warms up from your body heat...just like your down in a quilt or jacket. The CCF would function more like your outer jacket layer, helping to block convection from pulling heat from the layers that hold in heat.
    Nailed it.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the insight. Makes some sense.

However, isn't it the opposite if you have an UQ? You would have your CCF pad in the DL and the UQ (insulation) outside that. Basically opposite of your point. (I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to keep it all straight.)

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    Thanks for the insight. Makes some sense.

However, isn't it the opposite if you have an UQ? You would have your CCF pad in the DL and the UQ (insulation) outside that. Basically opposite of your point. (I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to keep it all straight.)

If you're using an UQ then why would you also have a pad? Most use one or the other. In some extreme cold conditions some folks will look to "supplement" with a pad but your correct why would you do that? Use a pad if you're going to use a pad, use a quilt if you're going to use a quilt. Kinda one or the other but no good reason to use both.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    If you're using an UQ then why would you also have a pad? Most use one or the other. In some extreme cold conditions some folks will look to "supplement" with a pad but your correct why would you do that? Use a pad if you're going to use a pad, use a quilt if you're going to use a quilt. Kinda one or the other but no good reason to use both.
    Agreed. Once my UQ gets here I don't envision using any pads (90% of the time). But, that is part of why I got a DL hammock, to have the option to supplement in colder weather.

Anyway, I was just saying that your advice made sense. Just interesting that its recommended that one would go insulation (air pad) then heat shield (reflective CCF) without an UQ but with an UQ you would go opposite, heat shield (CCF) and then insulation (UQ).

Truth be told I need more field testing to see what works best for me. And I should have my UQ in a week so hopefully this is all a moot point. I am just trying to make it work for a trip this weekend because I feel like a kid at Christmas and cant wait to try out my new toy/hammock even without my UQ.

I will give it a shot with the air pad and then CCF pad behind that, as you suggested. Sounds like a solid plan. Also, the temps look like they might be closer to 40° than 30° so that bodes well.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. I appreciate the knowledge!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    The reason for having the pad between you and the UQ, other than, where else could you put it, is because the ccf pad acts as a vapor barrier. If it's outside your UQ, say in the form of a space blanket, then all of the moisture you release into your UQ will not be able to pass through it and will get trapped causing a potential loss of warmth. That's not the case with your air pad. Look up vapor barriers if you want a better understanding of how all of that works. Or just shoot BillyBob58 a pm, he's pretty well versed in VB's.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

• + New Posts