Grand Trunk SB Pro Modded
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Cheap high quality down?

I've been looking at different sources to buy some 800-900 fill power bulk down for a topquilt project. Anyone have any inside sources for this? The cheapest/best quality I have been able to find is from downlinens.com. It's $112/lb (after a 10% coupon) for 800 fill power gray goose down with a water resistant coating with free shipping. Anyone know of any place to get it cheaper than that?
    Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly Clone
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & WL DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Images
    I looked in my bookmarks and found two places that I had seen down for sale, pretty sure there's more just can't find them in the gazillions of hammock related bookmarks. 8)

http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/insulation
    http://wildernesslogics.com/850-Whit...n-850-Down.htm
    You might try looking through the vendor sites section to see if there are any more. Good luck.
    A smile is a curve that can get a lot of things straight.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Down linen's is about the best you'll find now a day's. Some people will scavenge from pillows, etc, but that's questionable quality, and not DWR treated. Not much help now, but if you're every looking for down again come November timing downlinen's had a 30% cyber Monday sale last year. I definitely took advantage of that!

I don't think you'll beat Downlinens for fresh bulk down, and the other mentioned sources are good if you need smaller amounts. I've used down from the 'My Luxe' pillows I got off ebay and found it to be very good but it doesn't have a water resistant treatment. If you'll need at least 2.5-3 pounds that might be a good way to go.

In the end it's a fair time and effort investment to make a quilt and it's well worth making sure you start with quality materials.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Cheap high quality down?

Thanks Boston, K8oe and Michael_qrt!
    I had already checked ripstopbytheroll and wildernesslogics. The free shipping and the 10% coupon I found makes downlinens the cheapest, seemingly best deal I can find. I thought that was probably going to be about the best I could find based on looking and studying and reading everywhere, but before I placed my order, I just wanted to ask to see if anyone had any other place that I might have missed.
    Before I place an order though, I will go check the vendors section of the forums. Thanks again guys
    Last edited by NWAlabamaHiker; 03-05-2015 at 08:13.
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Cheap high quality down?

Boston, 30% off would've been awesome, but the best I could find at this time was a 10% off coupon, but that's better than nothing! I'll have to watch this year and see if they run another cyber Monday deal!
    K8oe, I completely understand about having tons of hammock or DIY bookmarks! I started out with just a folder with "hiking" stuff. This quickly became unmanageable and crazy, so then I made separate folders for hiking and hammock stuff. Then the hammock stuff folder got unruly, so I made a subfolder with DIY hammock stuff, now that's gone crazy too so I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to organize my folders down even further to DIY projects and DIY supplies!
    Last edited by NWAlabamaHiker; 03-05-2015 at 08:22.
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

Hammock
    11ft DIY, Gathered End with bug net
    Tarp
    3mx3m with doors
    Insulation
    diy down uq and tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    have you checked Aliexpress.com?
    i got 1LB of white 850fp goose down for $64 delivered to the UK
    Last edited by The_hanging_dog; 03-05-2015 at 09:32. Reason: too many 'e's

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I haven't checked there. I've never even heard of it! Is the quality good and are they a reputable source?

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    The_hanging_dog - what was your experience using Aliexpress.com? is this shipped from the US or somewhere else in the world? What is the quality of down? looks like too good of a deal to be true. If it is good down it looks like i finally get to fill the quilt shells that i've made! Thanks!

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I would be a bit wary of Chinese down. First they have no certification system to measure fill power or even cleanliness, so I wonder how they can judge 600 fill from 850-900. I was going to buy a small amount and have one of my trusted friends who happens to own one of our cottage industries look at it, but they do not offer Paypal, even though the site claims to. Not exactly rushing to give some unknown company my credit card number. Perhaps someone who is a bit braver?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast