Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around

What About a SQUARE Tarp?

Hi Folks,

I have been experimenting with tarps, and I have a square 9X9 tarp with a whole bunch o tie-outs (it's the DD UL tarp - 16oz). So I can make lots of creative and functional ground shelters with this tarp, but I've never considered using it for covering my SLD hammock. So let's see - if I go with a diamond hang, the ridgeline on, say, and 8.5 X 8.5 tarp is gonna be about 12.2 feet. My hammock with ridgeline is only about 9.3 fee long hung (considering my FRL at 9.1 feet). That should give me 18 inches on each end, which is more than I get with my 8X11 silny tarp.

But the kicker is the diamond shape - I've used an HH setup before - sort of an asym diamond shape, and never had a problem, and I've used my 8X10 and my 10X11 w no issues. Question is, is an8.5 X 8.5 tarp gonna provide enough coverage to protect a hammock whose effective length (that is, 'hung' length) is just over 9 feet?

Incidently, no coincidence that the 8.5-foot number matches the standard width of the HG cuben stuff......

Anyway, who has got the answer? Thanks!
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Hammock
    ENO Doublewide
    Tarp
    11' Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead Jarbridg
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Based on your golden rule icon (pi day is coming soon, but phi is way cooler), I would think you could figure it out. But my basic response is - enough coverage for what conditions? No tarp is going to be completely fail-safe - but it seems like your square should take care of you in most conditions. Sideways rain/snow from either end? - That's going to be a problem for any tarp with no doors and even for some with doors.

Good luck.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I don't have a ton of experience with this but I do have a tarp of that size that I've been through 2 rainstorms in and stayed dry. For most storms I think you would be fine, if you get a really windy storm blowing rain sideways it all depends on how you are set up relative to the wind. I spent a night in a storm like that under my diamond tarp and stayed completely dry, including underquilt, but I had the rain coming in pretty much directly perpendicular to my hang. If the winds would have changed direction even slightly I'm sure I would have gotten wet as the ground directly below me was wet almost at the center under my hammock. I should also note, however, that my hammock during those storms was not an 11' hammock, it was a much shorter ENO DN so that may make a slight difference but I doubt it would be much of a difference.

Having said all of this, there are times when setting up my Superfly that I've missed the simplicity of the diamond tarp, only two stakes... On short trips where the weather forcast looks good I may end up still taking it instead of my Superfly.

I think there are a couple of threads here that have pictures showing some of the different coverage. Here is a link to one Dejoha did. Knotty did another illustration that really opened my eyes here but I don't think it is quite as scientific. Still worth a look. Hopefully this helps a little. Best way to know for sure is to test it in the back yard in a storm.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Looks like you've done the math. In moderate conditions a diamond pitch works fine. However, when there's wind and blowing precipitation I've found tarps of that size to be entirely inadequate.

I'm not sure what standard width of cuben fiber tarps has to do with anything. I used to have an HG Standard CF tarp with doors and did not find the coverage adequate for blowing wind/precipitation. I've since upgraded to the HG Winter Palace. A Warbonnet Superfly provides about the same coverage (little bit more) if you want to go cheaper.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    A square 8x8 or 9x9 tarp was very popular not too long ago. Now hex tarps proliferate the sport. Mostly because hex tarp's will give a bit more coverage on the extreme ends. You may have some concerns with wind blown rain, but it is possible to mitigate that.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Thanks all (...and I wouldn't go with a novelist's assertion on the coolness factor of phi....).

My reasoning is - If I have a CF tarp made at 8.5 X 8.5, I can use it for both a great hammock tarp and a great ground shelter (if it has enough tie-outs). The versatility of a square tarp is apparent, which means I can easily go to ground in heavy weather if necessary. I did do a big-time storm up in VA with an 8.5 X 11 and had no issues whatsoever (well, other than the typical morning-after mist and humidity up on the AT).

The only other piece is how it is gonna behave with the ridge line being a diagonal - across the designed ridge line. I know CF doesn't stretch like silny will, but still....
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It sounds like you're convinced of something, but I can't tell what that something is. What, exactly, makes an 8.5 x 8.5 tarp versatile, and why is it so readily apparent? From a hammock perspective, it can only be hung in diamond configuration, which is far from ideal in heavy weather. It won't be "a great hammock tarp;" more like a bare-bones minimalist, fair-weather tarp at best.

I'm not an experienced ground-pounding tarp user, but I also fail to see the advantages of a square tarp over a tarp with doors. I'm kinda lost on why one would need multiple tie-outs and multiple configurations for ground-pounding.

I've always felt that the more requirements you place on your equipment, the less it does any one thing well. In your case, you seem to be looking primarily for a tarp that is great for sleeping on the ground, but minimally acceptable for hammock camping. If that's the case, an 8.5 x 8.5 CF tarp should meet your requirements.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I started to suggest to try is hanging the tarp asymmetrically alongside he diagonal. In stead of using the the corner ties to do a diamond pitch try tying to the second tie on each side. My quick math seems to only have a 9'6" ridgeline though.

I'm afraid that it's too small for anything but diamond. You could get a new tarp that's at least a 10' ridgeline.

You could also explore the world of hammock socks/under covers etc... to get a a bit more weather protection from blowing rain. They're not water proof because the need to be breathable, but the will shed light water.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    You could also explore the world of hammock socks/under covers etc... to get a a bit more weather protection from blowing rain. They're not water proof because the need to be breathable, but they will shed light water.
    The UQP has become extremely popular in the last couple of years. However, when I ask the question "What if my tarp coverage isn't adequate?" I never hear myself answering, "Get a UQP." My answer is always, "Get a proper tarp with proper coverage."

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Thanks all -- yeah, the idea really is to get as much bang out of a piece of gear a I can - but I see the point - I may be just pushing a little too hard on this one. I should probably just keep the 8X10 and 10X11, maybe tinker with a mod or two on those.....
    SLD Streamliner DL
    DIY tarps

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast