Tarp
    WB Edge, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies

Lightened up my ENO setup.

Here's what I have for my complete hammock setup:

ENO Doublenest, ENO Guardian bugnet, Warbonnet Edge tarp, Whoopie slings, Dutch's 6ft kevlar tree straps, Amsteel adjustable ridgeline, a pair of Amsteel 4' dogbones and about 12 ft of 550 cord for the tarp ridgeline.

I have been struggling to get this setup under 3 lbs. for a few days and I finally got it down to 2 lbs. 13.5 oz. All I have left to add is guylines for the tarp but I don't believe that will take me over three pounds.

Here's what I did to lighten it up so far:

1. Cut off the ridgeline hooks on the bug net. Since I run the ridgeline inside the net they aren't needed.
    2. Took a seam ripper and carefully removed the stuff sack from the bugnet. I think that was around 1.5 oz. by itself.
    3. Took the same seam ripper and removed the compression strap and ENO labels from the stuff sack on the hammock. Also removed the cord lock and draw string. This stuff sack is good for putting things in so I left it on.
    4. Removed the big thick ropes that the carabiner clips to on the hammock and just double looped the whoopie slings through the channels.
    5. Replaced the big cord lock on the stuff sack for the Edge tarp with a smaller one from one of the ENO stuff sacks. .1 oz lol

Now I just stuff the hammock, slings and bug net all into one cheapo stuff sack I have and the tarp is kept in its own sack with its guylines and stuff. I will use a random stick for a toggle wherever I end up setting up my hammock. I find that this whole deal is very packable and I think it will do me fine until I can upgrade my hammock to something lighter and better.

If anybody has any good ideas of how to lighten it further I would appreciate any suggestions.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    You could replace your hammock and tarp ridgelines with zing-it/lash-it. You could also replace your hammock with one of Dutch's for about $35. It would be much lighter and much more comfortable. You could replace the bugnet with Dutch's bugnet for $45 and save weight as well.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    You could replace your hammock and tarp ridgelines with zing-it/lash-it. You could also replace your hammock with one of Dutch's for about $35. It would be much lighter and much more comfortable. You could replace the bugnet with Dutch's bugnet for $45 and save weight as well.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I really wish I had seen those before I got the ENO. As it is I think I am going to roll with the hammock/net I have for at least this year just to see how far I can go optimizing it and learning what I like by seeing what others hang in.

Is there a significant weight benefit to using the Zing it in place of the paracord? I am aware the paracord seems pretty heavy.
    Last edited by muckypops; 03-04-2015 at 13:03. Reason: Forgot something

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Zing it weighs about 25% of what paracord weighs, and doesn't stretch (paracord stretches a lot). Zing it weighs about 40% of what Amsteel weighs (assuming you used 7/64" Amsteel) so you would save weight on the hammock ridgeline too.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    Zing it weighs about 25% of what paracord weighs, and doesn't stretch (paracord stretches a lot). Zing it weighs about 40% of what Amsteel weighs (assuming you used 7/64" Amsteel) so you would save weight on the hammock ridgeline too.
    Sounds like a winner. How much Zing it would I need to guy out my tarp? I figure i need about 30 ft to cover the ridgeline how much more do you think I would need for 4 guylines?

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    +1 on all of this. I upgraded my ENO DN to an 11' PolyD hammock from dutch and went from a weight of about 18 Oz. on the ENO to right at 10 Oz. on the PolyD for just the hammocks and their included stuff sacks. I didn't cut off the compressions straps, etc. like you but it's a pretty big weight savings and I find the PolyD to be a lot more comfortable for me. Zing-It or Lash-It is also the way to go for ridgelines. Best of luck!

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Most people seem to use 4-6' per corner for guylines. Err on the longer end of that range if you plan on using trekking poles to set up your tarp in porch mode.

That having been said, I would recommend Lawson Reflective Cord over Zing it for guy lines. When you inevitably have to get up in the middle of the night for one reason or another, it makes it much less likely that you will trip. I would also recommend some sort of self tensioning system since your tarp is made out of silnylon. Silnylon stretches a fair bit, and stretches more over time, especially if it absorbs water. The stretch dissipates once it is no longer under tension, but if you don't use some shock cord as part of your guy line system, you will rig your tarp up nice and taut, go to bed, and wake up to a floppy tarp. My favorite method of dealing with this problem is tarp worms.

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    UGQ 20º Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti Buckles
    Images
    Most people seem to use 4-6' per corner for guylines. Err on the longer end of that range if you plan on using trekking poles to set up your tarp in porch mode.

That having been said, I would recommend Lawson Reflective Cord over Zing it for guy lines. When you inevitably have to get up in the middle of the night for one reason or another, it makes it much less likely that you will trip. I would also recommend some sort of self tensioning system since your tarp is made out of silnylon. Silnylon stretches a fair bit, and stretches more over time, especially if it absorbs water. The stretch dissipates once it is no longer under tension, but if you don't use some shock cord as part of your guy line system, you will rig your tarp up nice and taut, go to bed, and wake up to a floppy tarp. My favorite method of dealing with this problem is tarp worms.
    +1 on the Lawson reflective cord for tie-outs and the tarp worms! I love that combo!

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6 XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    HG Incu-20, JrB TQ
    Suspension
    straps, amsteel

Dutch's Tarpworms are the bee's knees! I second the use of glo wire on all guy lines on any tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB sleeping / ENO SN mod UL
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    Static V lte Ins
    Suspension
    Woop E
    Images
    Maybe it is just me but the color of the zing-it is frustrating. You can get uncoated zing-it that is marketed as Lash-it for the same price. It is the same line. Redden marine actually has a sale going on for it right now. a 180 foot spool of the stuff for something like 18 bucks with free shipping. The coupon code can be found on the forums but if my memory serves me correct the code is "STPATTY". You can also get a good price on 7/64 amsteel and zing-it through reddenmarine also. Goodluck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast