WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images

UQ Temp Ratings vs Sleeping Bag Temp Ratings.

I am about to make the switch from ground to trees. I have an WB XLC that should be here today and am looking at UQ options. I have decided that a HG UQ is probably the way I am going to go (still deciding on 3/4 vs Full..im 6'2"). I keep going back and forth between 0° and 20° quilts (I am also considering a 10° custom) because I am unsure how accurate those ratings are.

My question is: are UQ temp ratings as lame as I have found sleeping bag temp ratings to be? I have a 15° down Big Agnes sleeping bag and Insulated Q-Core Pad that I feel start feeling the cold around 35-40° without extra layers. If i were to order a 20° UQ, will that realistically get to me to comfort at 20-25°? Or can i expect to be feeling the chill underneath me at 30-40°? I know that warmth is subjective and every person is different, but I am looking for a base here. In my experience sleeping bag ratings are often times inflated. I get that I wont die in my 15° bag at 15° but it sure makes of a long nights sleep. I was hoping that the UQs would get someone much closer to their rating. (I also wont be using my BA air pad with my XLC but I do have a Thermarest Zlite Sol that I can use to combine with my UQ if need be.)

Basically if a newb camper asked me about sleeping bags, I would say get the lowest temp you are willing to carry. If you think a 20° bag is the temp you want...get a 0° to be comfy at 20°. I am hoping that UQ ratings are more realistic as I am trying to save some weight if i can.

Sorry for the long winded preamble.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've had my 20* Phoenix down to 13 degrees and was warm. However, I generally follow the same rule as you - I would generally only trust my 20* UQ down to 30* so there's a margin of safety, or warmth, or whatever you want to call it.

Warmth is such an individual, subjective thing that I just don't place much value on other's opinions (or even my own).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Most sleeping bags are rated so if it's a 15º bag, 15º is the temperature in which the bag will keep you alive (and hopefully not getting hypothermic). At that same 15º you will still be extremely uncomfortable in the bag. Some manufacturers are switching over to a new rating system that makes more sense (forget what the new standard is called), but most are using the old rating system (or simply lying about what temperature their bag will let you go down to comfortably).

In my short experience with down quilts meant for hammocks, I've found that their rating seems to be be much more on-point. I've only taken my 40º TQ with 25º UQ down to 42º so far, but I was nice and toasty (which if I tried that with a regular 40º sleeping bag I'm quite positive I would be freezing).

Hammock
    ENO Doublewide
    Tarp
    11' Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead Jarbridg
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I find that UQ ratings are similar to sleeping bag ratings. I am a cold sleeper, so if I am even coming close to temps at the rating limit, I make sure I bring lots of extras to be comfortable: disposable hand warmers, zippo hand warmer, reflectix, extra layers (including hats). I have a 3/4 length Arrowhead Equipment Jarbridge 3-season that I like a lot. I use reflectix at my feet and sometimes stick some toe warmers on the reflectix.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    My UGQ UQ is rated to 20* and I consider it to be as low as you want to go.....but it can take one lower if your prepared with extra clothing.
    At 30* it is super warm..At 25* it is cooling off and I need another layer on me..At 20* I need some layers on me to be comfy.

What SilvrSurfr says sums it up perfectly and would consider them wise words to live by
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Insulation
    Incubator 0
    Suspension
    Straps / woopies
    The ratings are really survivability ratings. I took my 0 degree down to 5, with a mat and a couple of layers of clothing and two hot water bottles. I woke up chilled a couple times when some part of me moved of the mat, but I was fine. I would absolutely go full length and 0 degrees, no question. You are taking a few ounces, who cares? It is the weight of a sofa can... If you don't, you limit your camping, and why would you?

Hammock
    Argon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I find quilt ratings to be true. If I start to get cold though I just start to put on clothes.

I've had my 30* HG UQ in the lower 20's with a 20* TQ and was warm.

Hammock
    THC Cloud Series
    Tarp
    THC TC-Winter
    Insulation
    THC Marion UQ/ 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In January, I took my Teton Hammock Company 0* Marion UQ down to -17 actual, -35 with windchill. I was fine (warm) until about 6:00am at which point I developed a cold spot at my shoulder. I think any cottage vendor, myself included, rates their products more conservatively than the big, bag manufacturers.
    Teton Hammock Company-
    Tarps and Quilts engineered and tested in the Teton Range, WY & ID

www.tetonhammocks.com

Hammock
    WBRR/Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE/JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I had my JRB Nest down to the teens with clocked winds at 60 mph this Jan. and I was comfortable with Patagonia Capilene base layer and down booties.

• + New Posts