Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Ideas for 5-10 day trip in WA or OR Sept/Oct?

Howdy y'all!

There is a pretty good chance I'm going to have to travel to Seattle at the end of September or beginning of October for a conference. I've been trying to come up with ideas for a good 5-10 day backpacking trip to take this summer or fall, and if I have to go to this conference I would like to combine the trips.

So I'm looking for suggestions for good places to go within a reasonable driving distance of Seattle. I'm hoping to go somewhere ridiculously beautiful (I grew up in Oregon so I'm aware that that description applies to pretty much the whole Pacific northwest). My pack can fit 5-6 days worth of food, so if you suggest a trip longer than that it would be helpful if there was some way to resupply in the middle. I'd prefer either a loop trail or somewhere that has shuttle service available to either get me back to a car or back to civilization. Also my gear will get me down to 20*, so I'd appreciate suggestions of places that aren't likely to get below that in Sept/Oct, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Thanks!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    If in those two states I would say the Wonderland trail. Buenos did it a couple years ago and posted a killer trip report.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    After looking at pictures, I think it's going to be tough for anybody to beat that suggestion. But please try!

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Visit NWhikers.net's and WTA.org's trip reports. There you can find some of the more common multi-day loops and get an idea of terrain (maybe weather, but it is the PacNW).

And since you're from PacNW, you're already aware the end of September and beginning of October is the start of very random weather. Or amazing weather! Who knows (even a week before).

Pilot Ridge Loop (3-4 days): Some friends loved it last year. I will probably do it in 3 by myself this Summer.

Goat Rocks Loop (2-3 days): When I talked to a lot of PCT thru-ers this was always the second and sometimes first favourite section in the PCT. This loop will get you more into the Goat Rocks wilderness, so an up on the PCTers grinding through it.

Pacific Crest Trail Section J + Some (4-8 days): I say plus some, because if you detour here and there off the PCT you'll be wonderfully rewarded. e.g., detour from Cathedral rock and do Mt. Daniels and Peggy's Pond. Take the Waptus Lake detour, maybe consider Dutch-Miller gap and take the original PCT route. Hit the back country hot springs?

I read your OP like you'll be by yourself with no special tools. Is this correct? Otherwise, with light non-roped glacier travel or class III scrambling, a lot more possibilities open up.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Montexan View Post
    I read your OP like you'll be by yourself with no special tools. Is this correct? Otherwise, with light non-roped glacier travel or class III scrambling, a lot more possibilities open up.
    That is correct, unless somebody from HF decides to tag along. I have no experience with scrambling or glacier travel and no easy way to practice between now and then, so should probably avoid it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES Matcat/4Season
    Insulation
    Pad+Marmot Litium
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would encourage you to plot a course departing from the Snoqualmie River's Middle Fork Trailhead. Head towards Goldmyer Hot springs (make reservations in advance), then follow the Dutch-Miller Gap Trail to Williams Lake or Lake Ivanhoe, then to Deep Lake. Leave by way of Waptus Lake and either Williams Lake or Lake Ivanhoe (whichever one you skipped). Finishing off with a second night at Goldmyer would be a real treat.

Note: This route would get you pretty close to Cathedral Rock and Peggy's Pong. An easy day hike from Deep Lake.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    If you're going to be alone and don't plan on any technical terrain, I'd wander around the Central Cascades mentioned in my post (Section J+some) and rickman's. You can camp a lake or ridge every night. And since you're alone in a hammock, you'll have a ton of options and don't have to fight for tent sites. And there's enough trails where you can pretty much "build" your own trip. Half Mile's maps are a nice start, but I'd then dive right into CalTopo and chart it all out.

What I would do is buy an Amtrak Bus ticket (~$25) from King Street Station to Stevens Pass on Highway 2 (47.7457, -121.0890). In 2.5 hours you'll get there a bit before Noon. Start down the PCT Section J which is quite literally right off (through?) the highway in the ski resort. You do have a late start, but you can make some early sites easily like Mig and Hope (better) lakes along PCT (47.6983, -121.0908). And maybe just do a variation of PCT J or the Cascade Crest Trail. Since you're in no hurry, make those awesome side trips people who stick to the trail miss: Spectacle Lake, Peggy's Pond, Waptus, Goldmyer, Piper Pass.

Now your trip will end when you pop out onto I-90 at some point. Uber/lyft would be a gamble (but deserve a mention) and you'd honestly have better luck hitchhiking to at least North Bend. Offer to chip in for gas (why carrying cash is a must for hiking). But most of us Cascadians believe heavily in trail karma. And once back into Issaquah take the King Country Metro into Seattle for $3.25. There is also a new 628 route running between North Bend and Issaquah.

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex | Std
    Insulation
    Palisade | Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    East Bank Loop (Ross Lake).
    Enchanted Valley (Hoh Rainforest).
    Enchantments (Leavenworth).
    A hanging, though, was something different. I got to thinking. We hadn’t never been to nothing just to have a good time. A hanging was special and we was all getting to go.
    ~ Eddie Whitlock, Evil Is Always Human

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the suggestions! Keep 'em rolling in.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Quote Originally Posted by H2Oboy007 View Post
    Enchantments (Leavenworth).
    Good call. He could still use the bus to get to Leavenworth and then just find a way to one of the earlier Icicle Creek trailheads. It's about 4 miles from Highway 2, so he could walk that pretty easy. But he'd need to hit up the Leavenworth ranger station first because..

*Note that your trip would be during permit season. The lottery ended earlier this month, but they do daily draws from a hat at 7:45, so you could wing it--just don't set your heart on Core zone. You might be able to get a permit before if you aren't on a weekend. Reservation system opens back up April 1.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast