Hammock
    Clark Flex-180
    Insulation
    HG Incubator

Adding cuben tape to a cuben tarp for strength?

Hello everyone!
    So I just got a cuben tarp and I love it! I was wondering if adding cuben tape to the seams?
    Or just adding strips of cuben tape to areas that look like high tensions areas?
    I just want to prolong the life of my cuben tarp, and make it a little tougher.
    My tarp is .52 so it's not the thickest stuff in the world.

Sorry if this is mis-categorized.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    You want to use minimal tape and offset transitions from additional layers (offset front and back reinforcements). Any transition becomes the weak link so don't add any additional tape other than joining panels or waterproofing.

BTW i have had a cuben tarp since 2007 with no issues. You will be fine with reasonable care so just go enjoy it. Carry some cuben repair tape or transparent duct tape for field repairs. The only cuben repairs i have had to do are from a small slice from my bridge hammock spreader poles and some burn holes in cuben stuff sacks from Grapenut's exploding fire on a recent trip

Hammock
    WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    You want to use minimal tape and offset transitions from additional layers (offset front and back reinforcements). Any transition becomes the weak link so don't add any additional tape other than joining panels or waterproofing.

BTW i have had a cuben tarp since 2007 with no issues. You will be fine with reasonable care so just go enjoy it. Carry some cuben repair tape or transparent duct tape for field repairs. The only cuben repairs i have had to do are from a small slice from my bridge hammock spreader poles and some burn holes in cuben stuff sacks from Grapenut's exploding fire on a recent trip
    Agreed!
    The longevity of your tarp will not be a factor of weaknesses in manufacturing or wear in high tension areas.
    If you suffer failures they are far more likely to be a result of punctures or other damage from extraneous sources.
    Just carry some tape with you to cover these rare incidents and you should be fine.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

Hammock
    Clark Flex-180
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MOWOGO '72 View Post
    Agreed!
    The longevity of your tarp will not be a factor of weaknesses in manufacturing or wear in high tension areas.
    If you suffer failures they are far more likely to be a result of punctures or other damage from extraneous sources.
    Just carry some tape with you to cover these rare incidents and you should be fine.

Awesome, that's a relief, I just feel this stuff and it's just so soft.
    Thanks guys.
    Any recommendation on what cuben tape and how much to carry? I'm new to the cuben fiber world.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksil123 View Post
    Awesome, that's a relief, I just feel this stuff and it's just so soft.
    Thanks guys.
    Any recommendation on what cuben tape and how much to carry? I'm new to the cuben fiber world.

Thanks!
    Zpacks Cuben Tape

Scotch Transparent Duct Tape

Either will work in the field for small tears or holes. If you use an alcohol stove take some of the alcohol and clean the area to be repaired. If you have a razor style knife in your kit round the corners off and apply.

I keep some of the transparent duct tape and cuben tape wrapped around a pencil cut to length. Probably about half length of the Zpack cuben tape and a good amount of the transparent. I have never used the cuben tape for personal items but my camping buddies appreciate me having it

Don't be afraid to use the transparent duct tape. The only repair I have made to a cuben tarp was with it and it has lasted over 6 years.

Hammock
    Clark Flex-180
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Hmm interesting, iv always wanted a alcohol stove. I guess now I have a reason to buy one!

Thanks!

• + New Posts