Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Choosing a tarp

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forums and hammocking. After lots of camping in tents borrowed from friends, I decided it's time to buy my own shelter. I decided to go with a hammock instead of tent, so after many hours of research, I've ordered a Dream Hammock Roaming Gnome. Right now I'm car camping, but I want to be prepared for backpacking in the future, so I got the 1.6oz single layer hammock with bug net. Now I'm trying to choose a rain cover. Any advice? I'm just feeling a bit burned out on research right now.

REI has an 8x10 nylon tarp for $6.50 and it's 16oz. Would that work?

P.S. For now I'm going to try the sleeping bag I already own, but maybe next winter I'll look into a real underquilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott B View Post
    REI has an 8x10 nylon tarp for $6.50 and it's 16oz. Would that work?
    Yes, it should work.

I've never used one of the blue poly tarps but I've seen them at a few hangs. They work but aren't the lightest or most elegant solution. There are many, many options out there for tarps. How much coverage do you want/need? With the 8x10 you can pitch it asym (corner to corner) or lengthwise to see which configuration you like better. In that sense, it is cheap research to see what you do and don't like. I have a diamond tarp but won't be using it a lot - I prefer my larger tarps in most cases for coverage and privacy. If you can make it out to a local hang, you will likely be able to get a good feel for several different tarps and use that information to make a decision.

So far I have a couple of diy underquilts and have used pads when the weather got colder. For me it has always been a sleeping bag as a top quilt.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    For $6.50 you could try it. If it doesn't work, you can still use it as a ground cloth or find some other use for it.

However, a 10' ridgeline is very short. You will only be able to use the tarp in a rectangular set-up if your hammock is a 10' hammock. With an 11' hammock you would have to use it in a diamond set-up. Not sure how much coverage it would provide.

If you still have some money left and are only too tired to do more research, simply go with a Warbonnet or Wilderness Logics tarp. If you want to keep the number of decisions minimal, go with Warbonnet. You only need to pick a tarp size

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I prefer 11' tarp RL's for 10' hammocks and 12' RL's for 11' hammocks.

I'd rest up, save a few more dollars, then do the research. Your last attempt although tireing yeilded a darn nice piece of gear in the Dream Hammock. You should care about the roof over your head just as much.

If you ask people, they will direct you more times than not towards the same manufacturers and models to which they have already made their own commitments. The tarp offerings, from HF cottage vendors, are varied in design and across the board, of high quality and function.

Some want total coverage and go for the biggest thing they can reasonably pack, others prefer a more minimalist approach, while yet others fall in the middle somewhere. Some have the money and want it all, so they go CF. You can drop anywhere from just under $100 dollars to well over $400, on an important part of your kit and can end up being a very personal choice.

Good luck and be sure to let us know what you pick and what you think about it. It's really the only opinion that will matter to you, in the long run.
    Signature suspended

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Well,

I heard it never rains in Southern California

And as long as that holds, you should be OK in a diamond configuation.

When you're ready to spend a bit more money, there's plenty in the $100 range that will do you well. Look for something with a ridgeline that is at least 12" longer than the ridgeline of your hammock. IMO, the best tarp for the money is the Hennessy Hex.

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Right, it almost never rains. But when it does, I want to stay dry. Therefore I probably want to avoid the square configuration. My hammock is 10ft. So what makes one tarp better than another, aside from weight?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I always thought Knotty had a nice primer for this in general. Start here > https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...s-Diamond-Tarp

It gives you sort of a handle on coverages for basic designs you'll encounter.

Keep scrolling down. There is a reason this is a sticky!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    I'm +1 with others. Whether you pick Warbonnet, Outdoor Equipment Suppliers (OES), Outdoor Wilderness Logics (OWL), Underground Quilts (UGQ), Hennessey, Simply Light Designs, or Arrowhead Equipment (AHE) if you pick any of the 11' ridgeline tarps you won't be dissappointed. They're all around $100 - $140 and are roughly the same in weight. The bigger the tarp, or course, the heavier the weight but I think the heaviest I looked at was around 24 oz.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott B View Post
    Right, it almost never rains. But when it does, I want to stay dry. Therefore I probably want to avoid the square configuration. My hammock is 10ft. So what makes one tarp better than another, aside from weight?
    A lot of it is subjective personal preference. What I recommend looking for is:

1. Ridgeline length: at least 1 foot longer than the ridgeline of your hammock, more if you don't have doors.

2. Side coverage that is adequate for the climate and weather that is prevalent in the areas you plan to hike/camp in. Look at duration and normal times of occurrence of wind and rain. For instance, here in Houston I can expect it to rain somewhere in the general area every every day at 1500 from May until September, its usually locally intense, but also usually straight down and only occasionally accompanied by severe winds---but when storms do come through, they just plain don't play around. I normally use a Hennessy Hex with removable doors (which also helps in winter) for these conditions, but I also have a 13' x 7' DIY that is lighter than the Hex, but provides less side coverage so I only use it when I'm fairly certain wind won't blow any rain sideways under the tarp.

3. End closure. Either separate doors or the ability to close off the ends by folding one corner over the other. Less important the longer the tarp is, helpful to retain heat in the winter, and essential if your available site selection prevents orienting the tarp so prevailing winds can't come down the length of the hammock.

4. Cost. You need money for an underquilt.

5. I also put some importance on color as I like to camp in a manner where I'm not obvious to others using the trail in an effort not to disturb their enjoyment of the woods.

• + New Posts