Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Diamond weave fabrics - how do they help?

I recently purchased some diamond weave fabric, and I was surprised to find how much it stretches on the bias. I'm not going to identify the source or even the material because I'm just interested in the weave and what it contributes when used for a hammock. I guess I assumed that those diagonal lines were ripstop threads that limited stretch and provided strength. They aren't. They look nice, though.
    diamond fabric magnified.JPG

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Going to leap out onto the end of the limb here and hang on for dear life. I'm hoping that the bias stretch (as opposed to 90* to the centerlines) will make for a more comfortable diagonal lay. I'm not much of a bandwagon guy, but I bought some of this for a 12' hammock after getting a deep discount to see whether the buzz was merited or it was just flavor of the month stuff. Just getting moved into new digs, and I'm not the one who sets the moving priorities in the house, but we've gotten to the point where enough pictures have been hung for me to set up the sewing/gear room. Will make a report once that happens.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Hrm.. I didn't actually question this when I made my new hammock out of HyperD. Subjectively I feel that it lays more comfortably than my old hammock.

My supposition, or thesis, would be that when lying on the diagnol that most of us use that you are not actually hitting in line with the bias. You actually are lying more in line with the fabric stretching square. With a traditional ripstop I'd think that you'd actually be stretching more on the bias due to the diagnol lay.

I may just be talking out of my figurative orafice. What I can say is that when I rig my hyperD hammock, so that the head is around 4" below the foot I get a very flat comfy lay with no calf ridge. I couldn't get that with my old double layer.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Ripstop threads are usually the same denier as the fabric. So you should still expect at least the same stretch as the warp and weft threads. Actually more because there are significantly less ripstop threads along the diagonal bias.

I believe it helps to limit stretch, and adds some strength along the bias.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Boston, there don't appear to be any diagonal threads at all. Warp and weft is all there are. I'm waiting to hear the source for those claims that this weave is stronger. It may be, but I'm curious about how it has been tested and what was learned.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I got some diamond weave ripstop that also has the square grids and that does work as promised in making the hammock stiff. I don't find it as comfortable as its lack of give gives me a numb bum, though in real terms there's not a big difference.

DSC_0683.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Scotty, that's interesting. Do you think it actually has diamond ripstop threads, or is the pattern produced by the weave in the warp and weft?

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I'm not sure if it is a proper diagonally stitched (I had to Google warp and weft :-)) but it does look like it, although when pulled at 45 degrees it does stretch though less than you'd normally expect for a 1.3 Oz ripstop.

I have zero details and specifics as it as it was a bargain bin remnant.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Bump. I'd like to hear from the vendors who offer diamond weave fabrics. At least one has said "they're stronger". What's your source? Personal testing, somebody else's published tests? Do they stretch differently on the bias from other weaves? Are they, in fact, really "ripstop"? (I'm not sure anyone has said that they are, but that was my first assumption, and others seem to have thought so, too.)

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Now that the discussion is open, I am very curious, I hope more information is on its way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast