Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie hammock setup for tall skinny dude

Hey all,

I'm a hammock newb (first post!), in the market for a hammock setup for a cross country road trip I'm doing in April. I've been doing some research, but the options are overwhelming! So if yall could help me out a bit with getting this setup nailed down I'd sure appreciate it. Here's my situation:

- 6'4", 180 lbs. (looking for a 11ft hammock)
    - budget for whole setup ideally $200-$300
    - Priority on comfort and easy setup/takedown - the trip's a whole month of 90% car camping, so I'd gladly trade a few ounces for extra comfort or a couple minutes saved each time I set up (what's the deal with whoopie straps vs. cinch buckles, etc.?)
    - I like semi firm mattresses, so maybe looking for medium fabric stretch?
    - integrated bugnet seems like a definite plus, if not I'll buy separate, also looking for a rain tarp that won't break the bank
    - I'm looking at camping in 45-65 degree overnight conditions - would I be comfy with just putting a sleeping bag in the hammock, or do I need an underquilt? Also, would I be better off with a double layered hammock for extra bug protection, be able to slip underquilt in, etc.?

Right now, I'm looking at the Hammeck Netty, the Dangerbird 72, and the Kammok Roo. Any takers? Esp interested in hearing what members with a similar build to me are using. Thanks a bunch for the help guys, this looks like a great community you've got going on and I'm looking forward to the adventures to come!

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    6' 2" 185 here. I have a Hammeck Envy and a Warbonnet Blackbird. At 6'4" you will need the 11 foot. So no Blackbird. I like the Envy so I'm sure the Netty will be good.

My concern for you is the budget. Did you mean $200-$300 for everything, hammock with suspension, tarp with tie outs and stakes, and under quilt? If yes, that's going to be tough.

Cinch buckles are cheaper and, IMO, easier. They will be included in the price of a netty along with the tree straps. Check on the others.

I wouldnt worry too much about the double layer unless you go pad and not underquilt. Sleeping bag is fine for on top but you need something under other than the bag. And the double layer is for a pad. The under quilt hangs under. If you compress and flatten the sleeping bag or UQ, you lose the R value and thus the warmth.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

hey thanks for the quick response! I was thinking that budget for everything except a sleeping bag. I figured I could shell out for a really good hammock with bug net and maybe get a cheaper/heavier rain tarp that I could replace later if I want to go backpacking. Makes sense about needing something under the sleeping bag...just not sure how much cost that I'll have to add to be comfortable! for 45-65 degree conditions is there a preference or pros/cons to UQ vs pad?

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Yes many. Do a search of the forums. There have been many many threads on that very topic comparing pads and UQs.

Look at Arrowhead Equipment website for synthetic UQ. Less money than down.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tree Frog View Post
    At 6'4" you will need the 11 foot. So no Blackbird.
    Warbonnet does make an 11 foot Blackbird, the XLC. I am 6'2" and find the XLC to be very comfortable.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Micro
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Jarbidge Renegade
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    Butt In A Sling hammock's are 11' and they have options for complete suspension systems(ready to hang). Arrowhead Equipment is a good recommendation for an underquilt. If you are car camping and don't want to spend a lot, I would recommend just taking a nice warm blanket with you(since it appears you don't already have a sleeping bag). I agree with you on the cheap tarp....start there and upgrade later.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by punkisdead View Post
    Warbonnet does make an 11 foot Blackbird, the XLC. I am 6'2" and find the XLC to be very comfortable.
    XLC is a great hammock, but probably not in his budget.

In regards to the budget aspect: look at the costs of under quilts and tarps first. The hammock (and suspension) is usually the cheapest aspect of hammock camping.

And if you haven't already, check out Dutch's site. He can get you set up with the hammock & suspension for not a whole lot of cash. Tarps can get pretty expensive quickly, so maybe look at something versatile and cheap like a 12' Kelty.

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy, GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Buckles/Whoopies
    Images
    You could get a nylonD 11ft hammock from dutch with cinch buckles and a fronkey style bug net for around $120. Then since you're car camping and weight isn't an issue, I would look at the hennessey hex fly or kelty noah's 12 which will run $70-80. And finally a jarbridge under quilt from AHE will run you $100 and put you right around that $300 mark not including a sleeping bag.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Hammock from Dutch $35. Make your own whoopies or ucr $5.25. Blue pad from Walmart. Blue cheapo tarp. Or make your own uq and tarp for around $150.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast