WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by limedude View Post
    Good point. Thanks!

I too will probably eventually find where pads fail to meet my needs. By then the pain of an expensive hammock will be a distant memory and I will be ready to go for a good UQ!
    I wanted the UQ almost immediately after getting the expensive hammock, but I was unsatisfied with a pad from day one. It sounds like they work better for you.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dryfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    I wanted the UQ almost immediately after getting the expensive hammock, but I was unsatisfied with a pad from day one. It sounds like they work better for you.
    Yeah, I am afraid it might have more to do with how rigid my pad is. It seems to end up giving me sort of a platform to lay on. I've only used it on car camps so it's easy to bring. I'm going to try a smaller pad that I can backpack with and see how it works out. I might be joining the UQ-ers soon enough.

I decided to take it slow and go with Dutch's Argon with whoopies and whoopie ridgeline to get a feel for it. Initial spend of $90 shipped to the door is a much better way to find out if I'll be up for this than spending upwards of $200 and hoping it's for me. He was very responsive the couple times I reached out and VERY helpful. It arrives tomorrow so this weekend, if the weather accommodates, I'll find a nice spot in the woods to give it a whirl.

Thanks again for all the help. You guys are great.

Got my Argon from Dutch today. It's my first hammock and holy cow this thing is light. Question for you all. Am I supposed to wrap the ends or something or do I just connect the whoopie hook to the continuous loop, attach to the tree strap and adjust from there? It's so light that I want to make sure I don't do anything stupid.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Haganaga View Post
    Got my Argon from Dutch today. It's my first hammock and holy cow this thing is light. Question for you all. Am I supposed to wrap the ends or something or do I just connect the whoopie hook to the continuous loop, attach to the tree strap and adjust from there? It's so light that I want to make sure I don't do anything stupid.

Thanks!
    You just hook the hook on the continuous loop and you are good to go. I am glad you like it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Dutch, I definitely do. Again, thanks for everything. I hung it up for the first time today and noticed a couple things:
    - I now totally get why pads would be a real pain. I'm absolutely going the underquilt route. It was in the low 50s and after hanging for 15 min or so, I could feel my backside getting a little chill.
    - I need to be careful that the continuous loop doesn't unravel at the end of the hammock. The whole thing came out of the gathered end at one point and while it wasn't all that hard to get it back through, it would be better if avoided. Keeping the whoopie hook connected at all times should avoid this.
    - The fabric is pretty light as I stated above and there were thorn bushes everywhere so clearing out an area to avoid snagging took most of the time. Definitely need to keep that in mind for future hangs, especially when a down underquilt is attached.
    - Using a heavy biner with marlin spike hitch to connect the strap with whoopie was really easy and probably the route I'll use on my first trip. I'll go with something lighter on subsequent trips.
    dutch argon.jpg
    msh and biner.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123